This review investigates the performance, manufacturing quality, function, and value of the Montane Minimus 777 Jacket. These attributes were evaluated over the long term in sustained wet and cold conditions while trekking in Canada. This Montane Minimus 777 Jacket Review is what we call a "performance" review - it's based on field use in a variety of conditions. Consequently, we assign a performance rating to this product.
- Chest pocket / stuff sack;
- Pre-elasticized, non-adjustable hem;
- Semi-elasticized, non-adjustable cuffs;
- Micro-taped seams throughout to increase breathable surface area and reduce bulk;
- Pre-elasticized under-helmet hood, non-adjustable;
- Zipped external chest pocket with YKK AquaGuard zipper, sized to fit GPS or mobile phone with minimal movement;
- Internal D-ring inside chest pocket for secure key storage;
- Center full-length YKK AquaGuard weather-resistant front zipper with internal storm flap and rain drain;
- Articulated arms for high reach movement and tailored specifically to reduce hem lift.
- 46 gsm Pertex Shield Plus (3-layer) fabric
- Face: 7 denier 100% nylon face
- Laminate film: 7 microns
- Backing: 7 denier tricot backing
- Hydrostatic Head: 20,000 mm hydrostatic head
- MVTR: > 30,000g/m2/24hrs
- Men's style is available in sizes XS-XXL in two color options;
- Manufacturer's Claimed Weight: 140 g / 4.9 oz (Men's Size M)
Field TestingThroughout the 2016 backpacking season, the Montane Minimus 777 Jacket was tested in the following locales:
- Boreal forest near Mount Assiniboine, British Columbia, Canada;
- High alpine routes near Jasper, Alberta, Canada;
- Rainforest on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.
Review Rating: Recommended
Review Rating Summary
A careful examination of the Montane Minimus 777 Jacket reveals that it is manufactured with a high level of quality and precision. Seam lines are straight and elegant, the micro-taping is secure with no peeling, and stitch lines are tight and even. For an ultralight rain jacket, the Montane Minimus 777 Jacket reflects a design aesthetic and manufacturing quality that is expected from a $200+ piece of apparel.
But it really shines when you consider its compressibility, water repellency, and breathability: the hallmarks of performance in the ultralight rain jacket genre. This made the Montane Minimus 777 Jacket our tester's favorite piece of gear from his 2016 backpacking season. We feel that Montane could improve the jacket (while adding negligible weight) by slightly stiffening the collar and hood brim. These improvements would be minor, but meaningful - especially for those of us that spend long hours in the rain on many (or most) of our trips. Thus, we award the Montane Minimus 777 Jacket with our Recommended Rating for its solid design, smart use of ultralight manufacturing technology, and terrific performance in foul conditions.
Where to Buy the Montane Minimus 777 Jacket
Where to Buy Montane Minimus 777 Jacket - Men's-Antarctic Blue-Small
Disclosure: some of the links above may be affiliate links, which means if you place an order at one of these retailers, we receive a small commission on this sale. This helps support Backpacking Light, thank you!
The full review (available to Premium or Unlimited Members only) contains a complete performance assessment, including a summary of product strengths and limitations.
In addition, we discuss how the Montane Minimus 777 Jacket compares to the Patagonia Alpine Houdini, the Outdoor Research Helium II, the ZPacks Challenger, and the standard version of the Montane Minimus.
- Word Count: 1378
- Photos: 4