We recommend the Garmin inReach Mini 2 over any other satellite communications device because of its reliability, small size, and light weight. Best paired with a smartphone, which vastly improves usability.
Take the Course – Learn trip planning, navigation, tracking, and communications with the Garmin inReach Mini in our How to Use the Garmin inReach Masterclass.
- TracBack routing allows you to navigate back to your starting point the same way you came.
- Digital compass gives you accurate heading information (even when not moving).
- Internal (rechargeable) lithium battery – generally provides 1-4 weeks of use without charging, depending on track intervals and extent of use.
- inReach Weather Forecast service gives you detailed weather updates (or your paired smartphone). Request forecasts for current location or other waypoints or destinations on your itinerary.
- Free access to the Garmin Explore website on your computer to plan your trips, create preset messages and quick texts, sync and manage your device settings, etc.
The Garmin inReach Mini 2 has finally evolved into a highly capable satellite communicator. An improved device user interface, much better battery life, nicer screen, integration with Garmin Explore, and the ability to use it more effectively without a smartphone make it my favorite satellite communicator when weight and versatility are the top priority. Learn more and watch my interview with Garmin. – Ryan Jordan