Topic

Wild Dogs.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Ehh.. I’d be more worried about having to take them all home with me.

William Moller
    BPL Member

@whmoller

Locale: Pikes Peak Region

I am less worried aboard it feral dogs than I am about loose pets. Had a German shepherd become aggressive toward me last week; fortunately the owner showed up. He apologized. I headed a different direction, and the darned dog showed up again. The owner was again nowhere near, and I braced myself for an attack. I prepared myself to kill the dog, but once I took a defensive stance it ran off.  I was attacked last year in the same area and suffered a serious dog bite. Doesn’t help that I am on blood thinners and I bleed like crazy. The owners in that case made no effort to assist me; it was five miles to the trailhead, and I bled profusely before getting it slowed to an ooze. It seems unkind but if I am on a trail now and a loose dog approaches and the owner is near I give them a warning that I will defend myself against their dog if it approaches me. I am a dog person, and I just had the best dog I ever had die, but I never allowed him to do what too many dog owners routinely allow. I do not generally carry bear spray, but I do now.  And it’s not for bears. I have countered bears, mountain lions and the like, but it is the dogs that scare me.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

WA State Law (does not apply to wolves in the Western 2/3 of the state).

RCW 16.08.020
    Dogs injuring stock may be killed.
    It shall be lawful for any person who shall see any dog or dogs chasing, biting, injuring or killing any sheep, swine or other domestic animal, including poultry, belonging to such person, on any real property owned or leased by, or under the control of, such person, or on any public highway, to kill such dog or dogs, and it shall be the duty of the owner or keeper of any dog or dogs so found chasing, biting or injuring any domestic animal, including poultry, upon being notified of that fact by the owner of such domestic animals or poultry, to thereafter keep such dog or dogs in leash or confined upon the premises of the owner or keeper thereof, and in case any such owner or keeper of a dog or dogs shall fail or neglect to comply with the provisions of this section, it shall be lawful for the owner of such domestic animals or poultry to kill such dog or dogs found running at large.
    [ 1929 c 198 § 6; RRS § 3107. Prior: 1919 c 6 § 6; 1917 c 161 § 6; RCS § 3107.]

RCW 16.08.030
    Marauding dog—Duty of owner to kill.
    *** CHANGE IN 2020 *** (SEE 6300-S.SL) ***
    It shall be the duty of any person owning or keeping any dog or dogs which shall be found killing any domestic animal to kill such dog or dogs within forty-eight hours after being notified of that fact, and any person failing or neglecting to comply with the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and it shall be the duty of the sheriff or any deputy sheriff to kill any dog found running at large (after the first day of August of any year and before the first day of March in the following year) without a metal identification tag.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I like it when I’m on the trail and an unleashed dog comes trotting toward me and growls as it gets close. Then I stop and the owner comes along and says “oh, he’s okay.”  I get pretty nasty with dog owners like that anymore. I’ll reply “I don’t want to be harassed by your damn dog.” I mean how do I know whether the dog will bite or not? Just because some inconsiderate dog owner says “oh. he’s okay” doesn’t mean it’s true. After getting bitten once on the trail and having a number of standoffs with dogs, I’m apprehensive. Regardless, more times than not in that situation the dog owner will look at me and say “what the hell’s your problem?”

But it’s all about them, and considering the possibility of how their dog(s) might affect other hikers doesn’t enter their minds. Nor do they care. I’ve been on a lot of municipal trails that have signs clearly posted at trailheads saying ALL DOGS MUST BE ON LEASH. But probably half of the people with dogs don’t comply because they figure they are special and entitled and besides their dog don’t bite (lol), so the rules don’t apply to them. I had a state park ranger tell me that there are a number of conflicts that come to blows over unleashed dogs on the trail. I remember when Harold Fish blew a dog owner away with a 10 mm on a trail near Payson, AZ about 20 year ago, and all Harold did was fire a shot to scare the dogs away without hitting them. But he dog owner came at Harold threatening to kill him. And that come’s to the next point. If you pepper spray, hit with your trekkking pole, kick or shoot at someone’s dog you might have to face the ire of that stupid dog owner.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have had to bandage my wife’s legs and repair her trousers once, when she came back from jogging. The dog owner just said ‘Oh Dear’ and ran away.

My wife and I have had to spend a month, morning and evening, vetting our neighbour’s sheep (10?) after a dog pack ripped their hind legs open during the night. (Neighbours were away.) Some of the sheep were dead by the morning; others were hobbling around on their knees. I am not kidding.

A few weeks later we had to vet the sheep of another neighbour – same thing.

Other neighbours (rural) have had similar problems.

Cheers

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Not sure if it’s British slang, but it’s definitely Australian.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

What is the best approach when encountering off leash dogs on trail that may be aggressive?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Get a large heavy stick, and use it.
    If it is a genuine feral dog it should be put down.
    If it is a ‘pet’ dog allowed to attack you – it should be put down.

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I disagree. If it’s a pet dog allowed to attack you, put the owner down and retrain the dog…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I would agree, except that there pesky legal problems along that route.
    In the meantime, the dog is still chewing your leg.

Cheers

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Another example of how unleashed dogs can create conflict in parks or on trails, especially where there are signs clearly posted saying dogs need to be on a leash. The video below is of the infamous Central Park Karen.  Most people know the story about this recent incident where a woman didn’t have her unruly Cocker Spaniel leashed and a then a classy black guy who’s bird watching asks her to subdue the dog. The rest has become viral. The woman’s name isn’t actually Karen, but I found out that’s what a lot of black guys call privileged white women.

YouTube video

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Unfortunately we see many unleashed dogs on trails where I hike and run around here. And the owners are usually just as offended upon being reminded that by rule they are required to leash dogs (yes there are clear signs posted at all trail heads and of course on all the printed and online maps).

I have no issue with the dogs…..the humans (race not usually a factor) are another matter, as seen in the video linked above. Unfortunately very typical behavior for the humans I encounter…..something about entitlement?

We need another thread……”wild, rabid humans”.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“that’s what a lot of black guys call privileged white women.”

Actually, that’s what a lot of people — all races/sexes/etc. — call privileged white women, not just black guys. I don’t even think it started with black guys.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

+1, Doug.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Oh, okay sorry. I wasn’t aware that “Karen” was a term used by all demographics. Thanks

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

I might be going against the grain here, but I have no issues with unleashed dogs. I sometimes find peoples own behavior actually triggers the altercation. Of course, some dogs are obviously not suitable to be off leash, so I’m not making the statement that all dogs should be unleashed. That said, an owner has to except financial liability for their own dog, which makes me feel more comfortable when I see them present. Some people get a little over dramatic when they see a dog unleashed. Honestly, it’s a little over the top imo. I’ve had people scream and curse me out for walking my dog unleashed (not kidding). Luckily for them my dog did not display the same behavior they did.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Morning Start

Morning Star. Good medieval weapon.
    DOES take some skill though!

Cheers

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Morning Stars are neat but don’t help the animal lover.

I suggest a bite suit:

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

” I’ve had people scream and curse me out for walking my dog unleashed (not kidding).”

How’s one to know “your dog” is “special” and allowed to roam off leash? Or you’re “special” because you feel like the leash rules don’t apply to you?

I speak of areas where dogs are required to be leashed.

I have zero issues people letting their dogs off leash in areas where that is allowed…..

This is exactly the kind of behavior that leads to conflict in my experience especially on mixed use trails where bikes, hikers, horses are all permitted.

Sense of privilege…..as amply seen in the video linked above…..

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

>> ” I’ve had people scream and curse me out for walking my dog unleashed (not kidding).”

This could be because your actions are threatening other people AND you are breaking the law.

Sigh

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I don’t have a problem with an unleashed dog in areas where it’s not required IF the dog owner keeps the animal close to them and well behaved (obedient). That means not growling and/or threatening. But on trails where it’s clearly stated ALL DOGS MUST BE ON LEASH, well, I guess you can always make excuses for non-compliance if you try hard enough. “Karen” obviously didn’t think the rules applied to her.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

“This could be because your actions are threatening other people AND you are breaking the law.” – One would think, however that wasn’t the case in this particular situation. The lady clearly had some mental issues similar to Karen.

How’s one to know “your dog” is “special” and allowed to roam off leash? – Because I am present with the dog accepting financial liability. It’s a lot of risk to take on for an owner.

Sense of privilege…..as amply seen in the video linked above…..- That can go both ways

An unleashed Pitbull is vastly different than an unleashed golden retriever. Why someone cares that a golden retriever is out on a trail walking is beyond me…

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

“Why someone cares that a golden retriever is out on a trail walking is beyond me…”

LOL

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

One thing many dog owners don’t realize is just how terrifying their dog can be to others, especially if the animal is off-leash. The breed doesn’t matter and the fact that the owner might accept financial responsibility doesn’t mean someone wants to get bit or be harassed. Leash laws, most laws really, are in place to keep the peace. People who choose to break those laws do so at their own peril.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools