Topic

Wild Dogs.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“Mecca has had a loose dog problem for decades. It has a third world feeling and many live in third world conditions. Last year the County captured something like 36 dogs the day before Halloween, so the kids could go trick-or-treating.”

Reminds me of Baghdad, back in the 60s.  There were a lot of feral dogs roaming around in packs.  Mostly, they didn’t bother anyone.  But every so often they would become a nuisance and an army flat bed truck would show up with a couple of soldiers carrying AK-47s.  Whenever they came across a pack, they would mow them down, toss them in the back of the truck, and move on.  End of problem for a while.  They do animal control a bit differently in that part of the world.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

“Reminds me of Baghdad, back in the 60s…….They do animal control a bit differently in that part of the world.”

They did do a lot of things very differently….then Murrica gave them freedom and democracy…..now look at them! ;)

Why waste bullets on dogs in the street when you can waste humans with the same bullets.

Sorry way out of context….but couldn’t resist….

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Most mail carriers and meter readers carry pepper spray, but the formula they use for dogs is a little milder than the mixture for bear and humans, Fox (company) also offers a compound that is a concentrated stream instead of a spray. It’s more immediately effective to the eyes, but you’d better have a good aim.

All you have to do is watch Judge Judy to see that there is an endless supply of stupid dog owners. Most are delusional as to the nature of their dogs. Denial is another word that comes to mind. They figure since Snookums isn’t aggressive toward them, he’s not to other people either. One of the biggest pay outs from homeowners insurance is for dog attacks. Now most insurance companies won’t insure for Pit Bulls, Rottweilers or Chows.

I was bitten by a Australian Shepherd in Alabama. It wasn’t bad really, ripped the lower  pant leg and left a couple of superficial tooth marks. When the dog came back for a second round I landed a perfect kick under the jaw and heard the teeth clack loudly. Then a teenage girl who owned the dog came up the trail and said “oh my God, she’s never done that before.” lol. I was actually cool about it.

I’ve had some other scary encounters with dogs. One time I was walking on a section of the Florida Trail, a section that follows along a rural dirt road, and I walked past a rundown old house trailer with a Confederate flag and lots of junk in the front yard. I also saw 2 Pit Bulls. When the dogs came into view I got to the other side of the dirt road because most dogs have only a certain territory where they’ll be aggressive. But these dogs kept coming, growling. Thank God there was a 4′ high chain link fence that I was able to jump over to safety. I always carry a 3 oz canister of Fox pepper spray on my pack shoulder strap, but I don’t ever want to find out how well it works.

Speaking of feral animals, I worked for years in the horse business as a farrier and every so often someone would call me who had adopted one of the “wild” horses BLM sells off for $1 after a roundup. I finally started refusing to work on them because even if you have the best horse trainer in the world, only about 5% of the BLM horses will ever be broke enough to trust. They lack the early imprinting that horses need to become docile. If startled these “wild” horses will kick your head off. But so many people live a Disney fantasy. Whenever BLM tries to euthanize the horses they can’t find homes for the animal rights people create an uproar. I don’t think a lot of them realize just how destructive feral horses are to an arid or semi arid environment.

Bottom line is whenever humans have contact with nature, nature suffers. I heard on NPR recently that feral cats kill BILLIONS of birds worldwide every year.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“Why waste bullets on dogs in the street when you can waste humans with the same bullets.”

Just another form of animal control to the denizens of The Swamp in DC.  :0(

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The best “cure” for feral dogs is to shoot them – period. They kill game and endanger human lives.

If I knew of wild dogs in an area I would absolutely carry my pistol. Otherwise for suspected areas Counter Assault bear spray would be my second choice.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

So many years ago in Nepal I had an interesting experience with a pack of dogs. I don’t know whether I’d call these dogs feral or not. I was on the edge of a town (Namche Bazar), heading out from the town, predawn, and this pack of dogs started to follow meme. At first I thought I  could just ignore them, then they got more serious, snarling, etc – one got his mouth on the heel of my boot, and I realized I ain’t just walking away. Not much time for thought, but I turned around, and gave them the biggest roar and snarl I could put out, and went after them, trying to look and sound as threatening as I could. The whole pack backed off, and I went on my way.  Probably not an approach that works often, but if it’s all you got, its better than running.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

“You nailed it Nick, it was in the Upper Covington area coming in from La Contenta Road.  We were seriously a little freaked…the pack was definitely out “hunting”.  Totally bizarre sight…chihuahuas, mutts, pitbulls, shepherds, a husky mix…a seriously motley crew out running the plains and coming in our direction.  We both climbed the best rock we could find and drew knives until they passed.”

Depends on the chihuahua mix ….

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

“I was bitten by a Australian Shepherd in Alabama. It wasn’t bad really, ripped the lower  pant leg and left a couple of superficial tooth marks”

Just to say, the “Australian Shepherd” has no connection to Australia.  No-one’s sure why it has that name but it didn’t come from Oz.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Interesting, I didn’t know that about “Aussies.’ but you are right. Some quick research shows that the dogs were developed on US ranches during the 19th century, and the origin of the name is still not understood.

I worked in the horse business for decades where Aussies and Blue Healers (a true Oz product) are very popular, especially among the Quarter Horse crowd. I find both breeds to be above average in aggressiveness, especially the Blue Healers. And the Blues are also a little stockier and with more powerful jaws. I suppose when an animal has been bred to chase cattle they might be prone to be a tad nippy.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I worry about those aggressive hyperactive Min Pins!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Just kidding on my last post. Craig has a family member, his Min Pin, whom he has often taken on short trips near his house.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Probably not an approach that works often, but if it’s all you got, its better than running.

Probably everyone knows this but, never run from a dog.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Under Obama for a time you could carry a gun in National Parks in California. You couldn’t fire it tho. That has probably changed these days I suppose. Out of state visitors can’t even buy ammo in CA now.

Pepper Spray works on dogs, but on a pack of 15 you would run out quickly. Probably best to take out the most fearsome ones first (Chihuahuas) and the others will be cowed into submission. The spray works on Mtn Lions. I was told this by a Fish and Wildlife biologist who had that experience three times!

I don’t know about CA, but in some states if you see dogs chasing livestock one is allowed to kill them. Feral dogs don’t last long in rural WA.

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

I have used bear spray on 5 or 6 feral dogs  in the Ouachita in Arkansas.   It was highly effective.  The dogs, mostly pit bull mixes, tucked tail and ran like hell.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

“I find both breeds to be above average in aggressiveness, especially the Blue Healers”

Yep, Blue Heelers are known to be aggressive, used to be a favourite of yobbos here, now it’s more likely to be a pit bull.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I had to Google “yobbo” to find out the meaning. I get amused by British slang. I broke off a relationship with a Welsh girl in South Florida many years ago and she called me a “bloody poof.” Google wasn’t around then, but a South African buddy of mine knew what it meant.

Pit Bulls are far and away the dog of choice for violent thug-like gangstas and rednecks in the US. There are many good people who own them too, but I would argue that they are just very naive. The level of denial is unbelievable. The more benevolent owners will say “oh, Pit Bulls are misunderstood. They aren’t any more aggressive than other breeds, it’s simply the way they’re handled.” LOL. The statistics are so undeniable though.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Most mail carriers and meter readers carry pepper spray

Ha! Most mail carriers now drive trucks to the mailbox. We don’t have meter readers anymore where I live. The three meters at my house wirelessly send the readings to a computer server. Did vicious roaming dogs spur this technology?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

“Most mail carriers now drive trucks to the mailbox”

Really? When I lived in Gainesville and Phoenix pedestrian carriers delivered my mail. It’s still very prevalent in many urban areas around the country, albeit not quite as much as it used to be.

“We don’t have meter readers where I live”

Well I do. There are 2 different ones that come to my house and both carry pepper spray, One in his right pocket and the girl who comes by has it hanging like a necklace. I’ve discussed dogs with the guy who reads my meter and he says he’s able to thwart most aggression by holding his large tabulating device in between him and the dog.

FYI: It’s a big ole country out there and not everything is like it is in like Palm Springs.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

I think Australian Shepherds were called that because the sheep they were herding out west were a breed that had come from Australia.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

No, it’s because they were bred to herd Australians.  They were developed from a line of prison guard dogs and it was helpful to have them along with the prisoners to Botany Bay.

A well-trained one can direct Roger wherever the handler commands.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Now that was funny, David!

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“I don’t know about CA, but in some states if you see dogs chasing livestock one is allowed to kill them. Feral dogs don’t last long in rural WA.”

That’s the way it was in Northern Michigan, where I was raised, back in the 1940s.  Probably changed by now.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“I suppose when an animal has been bred to chase cattle they might be prone to be a tad nippy.”

It seems like just about every critter in Oz is a tad nippy.  ;0)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Feral dogs in Oz:
    Council ByLaws are that a dog is either on a leash or on his owner’s property. (Full force of law.)
    State firearms regs: the owner of a rural property may use any means at his discretion to protect stock on his property.

Feral dogs do not last long around where I live.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Nick, those “hyperactive “min-pins” are aggravating. One guy on a trail I was finishing up came down with 2 of those ankle biters and NO leashes! I asked him to leash them as they were yapping at me.

When one bit my pants cuff I whacked him with a hiking pole and he yipped and ran off. The guy never said a word, likely knowing the dog deserved it. Could have been avoided with leashes. Hated to do it B/C I like dogs but no damage really done.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools