Topic

Why it’s best not to rely on cellphone navigation when hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Why it’s best not to rely on cellphone navigation when hiking

Viewing 10 posts - 201 through 210 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I purchased some large, thick ziploc bags to hold maps for kayaking (13″ x 15″ 4 mil).  But then I got a real strap-on kayak map case, so haven’t used them.  If anyone’s interested I can mail you some for cost + postage.  I bought a lot of them to keep the price down…it seemed like a good idea at the time!

Brian W
    BPL Member

@empedocles

I hiked in an area yesterday, where cell signals were spotty.  My GAIA app would not load the topo map until I reached a high enough altitude.  I always track my day hikes with GAIA, but I usually don’t look at the map until I get home.  My paper map worked out fine, and the trail signs were good.

I did learn that the default Earthmate maps that I downloaded do not compare to the topos available via GAIA.  Roads and trails that showed on my GAIA topo and CalTopo map did not show on my Earthmate app.  I figured out tonight that the open street maps is what I need, so I downloaded them.  They’re still not as nice as the ones on GAIA.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Does this mean that the official government topo maps are still the ‘gold standard’ against which various commercial/electronic/mobile services can be compared? Rather sounds like it to me.

Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

many of our gov’t topo maps are pretty outdated sadly

w/ Gaia you need to load the map(s) BEFORE you head afield, where I hike there is no cell signal, none- I’d be screwed not having the map loaded up before hand

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

^^

Also you can spray your normal inkjet printed paper map with a silicon water-proofing/repellent like campdry. Just wear a mask in a ventilated location like outside ’cause the stuff is nasty. Works good enough but you can’t subject the maps to prolonged or steady exposure to rain. Doesn’t make them completely waterproof.

Brian W
    BPL Member

@empedocles

@Mike M

That was the case I experienced with the Earthmate default maps.  The trails I hiked were less than five years old.  They did not show in the default maps. Two trails were missing along with a road.  They did show in the street maps that I downloaded tonight.  And they did show in the default GAIA topo.

Even with CalTopo I had to make sure I loaded the right layer to pick up all of the trails and roads.

Updated maps is another challenge whether it’s paper or electronic.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve had the Earthmate maps show me trails that were not on USGS maps via Gaia (in Death Valley), and I’ve had Gaia maps show me trails that are not in Earthmate. So I have both, of course, the Earthmate maps for my inReach and the Gaia maps on my phone. They don’t seem to add any weight to my devices, but I don’t know how much a 1 or a 0 weighs.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

“but I don’t know how much a 1 or a 0 weighs.”

About .000032 yoctograms, if I got the math right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/25/science/25qna.html

— Rex

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

That was great! Thanks for the link. It’s nice to know we have people measuring these things.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Viewing 10 posts - 201 through 210 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools