Topic

Who is using a zPacks Duplex?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Who is using a zPacks Duplex?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Who is using a z-Packs Duplex as their main shelter?

Alex F
    BPL Member

@alejandro

What would you like to know about it?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“Dixie” a.k.a. Homemade Wanderlust on YouTube has used one for most of her Triple Crown.  And she’s got videos reviewing it and comparing it to low-budget choices (Lashan 1, etc).

Short version: plenty of room for one, kind of tight (but VERY weight efficient) for two.  Needs two trekking poles (or a 1.5-ounce pull saw and two dead branches).  Lasts about one 3,000-mile thru hike.  Costs $600 (20 cents per mile).

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

We have been until recently. We now hike out of two locations separated by a thousand kilometres or so and the Duplex is our main shelter for one of them.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“What would you like to know about it?”

Nothing really, it was my main shelter for a few years so I’m very familiar with it. Just curious who uses it.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

I do, and love it. My wife and I find it cosy, but not too small. Haven’t had any extreme weather, but it seems very solid.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Doug,

We use the zPacks Duplex as our main shelter. You can see photos of it in our recent trip report of the Sierra High Route

We have used it in many different regions as you can see in photos in these trip reports

Traversing Iceland – photos with extra guy lines for better wind resistance

Traversing the Brooks Range in Alaska

GR-10 across Corsica

Best Regards,

Manfred

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

We were using the Triplex for the two of us, but we have switched over to the Tarptent Stratosphire Li

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I am. I love it.

Alex F
    BPL Member

@alejandro

@doug-i gotcha…

I used it all last year in the UK, Nevada and Oregon. It’s a great all around shelter, that being said when the weather does turn you have to pitch it correctly so it doesn’t flap around in the wind. I made a short video on that I posted on YT (“how to pitch your zpacks duplex for strong winds”).

Like most people that choose to go with it, I bought it due to it’s weight and how little room it takes up in my pack. That being said, I did pick up an Altaplex and am using it more this year since it’s large enough for me and my gear (I find that it’s more like a 1+ person tent).

Hope that helps, there are lots of good videos on YT that you can check out to help get a sense…

ATB

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’ve never owned one but I can say from personal experience after helping some guy named Doug move his, that they do well when set up in a bowl later turned pond during a rain storm.

Gotta love that bathtub floor.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I will say I’ve never wanted to leave my comfortable hammock and run into the rain, less, than I did at that exact moment.

Paul Leavitt
    BPL Member

@paleavitt1

Locale: Midwest

I have a Solplex in olive drab and a Duplex camo. I live in Minnesota so the state bird is mosquito and weather is always a factor.  Depending on the trip and I choose what will work best.  In areas with a lot of bugs and rainy environments (or with my dog) the Duplex is preferred as I will spend more time in the tent.  Duplex is a palace for one and I find I can’t feel the difference in weight or bulk unless making big miles and elevation change.

I just got back from a 6 day trip in the beartooths with 2 new backpackers.  I helped each of them outfit using my gear closet to save money.   It was fun to  start them in the sport with base weights under 12 pounds as a 1st backpacking trip.   We took a tarp bivy combo the solplex and duplex to show how each system worked.  They are jazzed about going out again.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What are you using now, Doug?

Btw, I was there when Ian had to help Doug move his Duplex, but I didn’t help!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

A Double Rainbow Li. An exceptionally well designed shelter (not that the Duplex wasn’t, not trying to say that) with some unique characteristics that I appreciate and enjoy.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Still using mine, Doug. Found a video recently from a guy in Australia that shows how to combine it with the Zpacks rainskirt for a rain porch that i intend to try for my next rainy hike. Hopefully will be good for cooking in the rain, with minimal extra weight.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

Still enjoying mine after 3 years of use.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Over the past several years, I have seen significantly more Duplexes than any other shelter.

I don’t have one. Maybe I’ve been hanging out with rich people?

Yair
    BPL Member

@stuckindoors

If you have a camo duplex, how do you even see it? What happens if you come back to camp and you can’t find your tent? Do you have to save the gps coordinates?

after countless miles on trail, I have learned that camouflage makes things completely invisible.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools