Topic

Who do you miss on BPL and why?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Who do you miss on BPL and why?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Not that they have to come back but who do you miss and what made their contributions to BPL valuable?

I miss George Matthews; his sense of humor was delightful. His loss was a big shock.

Eugene Smith is alive and well but we no longer get to read his outstanding trip reports with some of the most beautiful photographs ever posted on BPL.

Bob Gross could be a pain but he was a wealth of knowledge that to me was worth the frustration.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

P.J., Kevin Davidson both gave out lots of good info way back when. I would have to post something akin to a phone directory to list those who have gone that were entertaining, informative.

More good ones gone. Some new good ones.

Sad that software has chased many away. Add that to forums in general being in decline.

I am fortunate to have had the chance to meet/converse with quite a few of the BPL peeps. A great group overall.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I miss Ryan Jordan. Wonder why he left.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thom Darrah, an interesting guy with a cute daughter he’d sometimes write about.

Miguel A.offered a different and very unique perspective, all the way from Japan.

Adan Lopez because he wins “dad of the year”, over and over again. At least he should.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Agreed. Total parent envy.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Miguel pops up on Facebook once in a while.

How about Mike C!

Nice idea Kat.

Ike Jutkowitz, Tony Rocco, Dave S., Dave U., Travis, JP., both Jack Elliots, both Duane Halls,

Really, who I don’t miss would be an easier list to compile.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

TL!  Travis Leanna!

Eugeneius,

Dave Ure,  ( I miss when Dave U and Doug would get into convos

Hiking Granny!!  We miss you!!

Frank “yes, but what does it weigh?!?!” Steele

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Didn’t Chris Townsend used to post here?  I’ve always liked his insights.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Yesss, thanks for reminding me of some folks here. Townsend of course, Ike, David Ure, Travis, the Jacks! Some great memories here. Except Jack’s chopped off fingertip he posted a picture of :-/

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Laurie Ann March (?) with her great recipes. Same with Sarah K.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Don’t like to hike Dave Lutz.

Josh B.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Poor Aaron Sorensen. Tries to post, nothing. Says he can’t get anywhere with customer service. Wonder how many others…?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Lynn Tramper, +1 Kevin Davidson, Christopher Plesko, Larry Savage, Al Shaver, Jamie Shortt, Bill Fornshell, + 1 Mary D Hiking Granny, +1 George Mathews, Paul Johnson, Kenneth Knight, Mike Martin, Will Rietveld, Zak Karas, Ashley Brown, John Haley

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I miss John Abela. Sure, he could be elitist , but John knew more about ultralight gear than probably anyone else on this website.

As many can remember, some months ago the usual suspects ganged up on him because he wouldn’t divulge whether or not he paid for the FKT quilt he was reviewing. Too bad because the guy was a wealth of knowledge.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Dave T
    Will Reitveld (sp?)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Casey, I have his name spelled correctly in my post above

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Mike C! Andrew Skurka, John Abela, Bob Gross.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Jen?  Not totally gone but almost : )  Although it’s good for people to sometimes move on to new things even if it means not doing some things they used to at least as much…

Yeah, grannyhiker turned me onto this site from oregonhikers.org, but she’s almost totally dropped out of both but she’s still at nwhikers.net sometimes I believe.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Grannyhiker is Oregon Mouse at http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html
    (still helping there, thanks)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kevin Sawchuck, Bob Gross, Roman Dial, Alan Dixon, Joe Wilson;  high end sources of knowledge the lot of them.

Lynn Tramper, Granny, Kevin Davidson, Will Rietveld +1

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Jay Ham   All those great diy projects

Sam H.  Always positive. Worked the store, have to show him some love for putting up with that.

Carol Crocker  Articles, podcasts, first girl here on staff that wrote.

all added to the community back when

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

If you all don’t mind : made each one valuable to BPL or just fun/funny/ pleasant etc? What was their area of expertise ?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Oh…Javan Dempsey. He made some beautiful and very well crafted   quilts and then moved on to knives (?) I believe. I own a 10 degree quilt he made for me that is just a beautiful warm thing.

He had an interesting take on different issues and seemed like a capable outdoors person.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“If you all don’t mind : made each one valuable to BPL or just fun/funny/ pleasant etc? What was their area of expertise ?”

The ones I cited in my initial list, and I made a grievous omission by putting Will Rietveld in the second list, are all serious, hard core backpackers that push the edge.  They are always worth listening to when they post.  My secondary list consists of people that I just plain liked as people, to the point that I wish I could have met them in person.

That they are all no longer part of BPL is a sad indication of just how far this website has degraded.  I hope Mr. Jordan is paying attention to this thread, because it speaks to a situation he needs to address if BPL is to have a chance of restoring itself to its former position as THE UL website to be part of if you are a UL backpacker.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

MAKE BPL GREAT AGAIN.

But seriously I also used to enjoy Eugene Smith’s photos. And Miguel Arboleda’s book recommendations in these threads: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/8440/ and https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/63330/

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools