Topic

Who carries crew gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Who carries crew gear?

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Nate Ward
    BPL Member

@tdaward

Locale: The woods of the South

I do have to say I’ve never had anyone TOO heavy.  We always check pack to weight ratios and physical condition in account… We are in a small town and most of the boys are very athletic and play multiple sports which helps. I’ve even started a post on this group asking this very issue.  I struggled with the choice and discussed it with the crew and parents, Everyone agreed that was the way to proceeded.  The biggest plus to making “everyone carries their fair share” policy is that the parents made sure their son had good quality light gear…and didn’t over pack.

Also, I have always had a full crew. Splitting the crew gear over 12 people is so minimal.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Locale: Mid Tenn

Our crew’s packs seldom weight 36lbs fully loaded getting on the bus with two quarts of water and three days of food.

Scouts’ packs are always lighter than the adults’. They generally have newer lighter packs, smaller lighter sleeping bags, use Z-rest sleep pads, smaller rain gear, need less layers, and carry less moleskin and such so tend to be muck lighter.

Mine is usually one of the heaviest packs at 36 to 38 lb. fully loaded. Dry with only my gear it weighs 23 lb.-13 oz.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools