Topic

What's your season opening trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What's your season opening trip?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

I’m heading off to do the pct i section from White Pass to Snoqualmie first week of July.

Really wanted to do the Stehekin to Manning Park, CA stretch but passport issues prevented it.

Glacier N. park would not open certain campsites in early July, so planning proved to convoluted.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I did a four-day short milage trip in Yosemite June 13-16 on the North Rim of the valley.

I’m trying to figure out the snow situation in various parts of the Sierras so I can plan another trip pretty soon. I’m used to waiting til the snow is mostly gone.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Hope you enjoy WA section I of the PCT – it has great views of Mt. Rainier from the Chinook Pass part of the section, and pleasant forested country with lots of lakes and ponds heading N from White Pass.

To answer your question, I try to take my first backpack trip in April, snow conditions permitting, close to home in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains in Western WA. There’s a nice moderate 2 day loop (or long day hike) from Slab camp trailhead, along Upper Gray Wolf trail to Three Forks, then up to Deer park and Blue Mountain’s summit (great views), then down the Deer Ridge trail back to Slab camp: https://caltopo.com/m/06H5

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

In April I did a 170 mile section of the AT from Marion VA to Newport VA (Dragon’s Tooth). Great trip- had snow, sleet, rain, heat & sunshine- sometimes all in the same day.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

GGG.

It’s CA, season is all year.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

We often start with a couple of short trips in Death Valley in February…weather’s fine!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Doug, here are PCT snow conditions

https://www.postholer.com/snow/Pacific-Crest-Trail/1

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

We hike all year but I did just do my first June trip ever in nearly 50 years of backpacking!

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Ken—Thanks for that site. I hadn’t seen it before. Now we just need one for skeeters!

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Alexander—

Re: passport issue. I’m considering Stevens Pass to Manning for 2019 or 2020. I know you need a special permit to pass into Canada. Do they not grant that to section hikers, or was it some other issue?

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

@ Lester, – thanks for that map. I’m always looking for early season hikes and I don’t get to the Olympic side as much as I should.

@ Katherine,- my passport issue is just personal procrastination, nothing to do with changes in official policy.Just apply for their online border crossing permit.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

thanks for info!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Short 2 1/2 day trip into my nearby Spring Mountains north of Las Vegas, NV. This is for exploring old mining roads in the high forest at 9,000+ ft. Discovered them while snowshoeing up there last winter. Amazing country.

(OK, maybe it will be a 3 1/2 day trip with one day just to kick back and photograph the flora and fauna.)

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

+1 on season being all year, even in the Northeast. How can you pass up winter backpacking?

After a too long trip dry spell, planning several human-powered adventures for this summer, including sea kayaking Maine coastal islands, bikepacking in VT/MA and backpacking/canoe camping in the Adirondacks. Still readjusting to Northeast humidity. Grew up with it, but spoiled by years in N California with its dry days and nights that are humid but cool from the fog.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools