Topic

What is your favorite first-day lunch/dinner?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition What is your favorite first-day lunch/dinner?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What is your favorite first-day lunch/dinner/snack–one that you don’t quite care about weight because it is just so good and fresh that you’ll enjoy it, eat it, and then be low-weight for the rest of your trip?

I’m taking my family of 5 to the Enchantments in Washington later this month. We’re dehydrating most everything, but we have some time in camp to cook a one-pot meal. I’d love to find some fun first-day meals for everyone to enjoy.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A wrap in a tortilla, with meat, cheese, bacon, guacamole, onions. Even on the second day, but with cream cheese instead of guacamole.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Leftover pizza.

Did a hike years back, first meal was a pork loin over the fire.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Either a wrap like David mentioned above, or if on a tight schedule, a foot-long subway sandwich from the last town before the trailhead.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Love the wrap idea. And the pork loin over the fire?  Awesome!

what else?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

pita, boboli sauce packet, string cheese, peperoni pizza

“bake” them in frying pan with foil lid.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

My favorite first night meal is a genormous Boarshead ham and asiago  sandwich on Milton’s whole grain bread. I like to wrap it in foil and let it sit on a rock by the campfire and get all toasty and melty. A mustard and mayo packet from a fast food restaurant is a nice choice. Also some fresh spinach in a snack size ziplock stored somewhere it won’t get crushed. Tomatoes would be nice but don’t travel well…

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Gas station junk food. Day 1 is always eat on the move and keep moving far, far away until well after sunset.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Steak! I pack it frozen, usually thawed by the time I reach camp.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I usually have the same lunch every day I’m backpacking – a wrap with salami or pepperoni and cheese.  Always Boar’s Head.  Sometimes I’ll get peppered salami and add dried apples, that works really well.

For the first day or two I’ll often bring strips of fresh red bell pepper to add to the wrap.  Or some good hummus, or cucumber.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Day 1 for me coming out of a town is usually a footlong sub (once I carried a two footer but ate half when I got to the trailhead) or other sandwich, chips or cheetos or fritos, one of those little apple pies and a 16 oz or 24 oz beer.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I also realized I forgot my favorite first-night dinner – quesadillas with salsa!  I’ve been meaning to try dehydrating salsa but haven’t done it yet, what I’ve done is buy salsa in 4 oz plastic cups (they come in a 4-pack, I forget the brand).  One of those is about right for 2 people.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

All good ideas. Someone suggested smoked salmon and cream cheese on crackers. It was heavier than I expected, and very nice to eat it and be done with the weight; but quite a treat!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools