Topic

What is the best, light pack you've ever owned for max 3 days w/o resupply?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is the best, light pack you've ever owned for max 3 days w/o resupply?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

<p style=”padding-left: 30px;”>Currently using a custom pack from ZimmerBuilt packs but liking to make a change since it’s getting too worn. Interested to hear others’ ideas!</p>

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

The gossamer gear kumo is an excellent 3 day pack. The shoulder straps are very comfortable and disperse the weight well. The sitpad also offers a nice amount of protection from gear while still conforming to your back. The mod burn is also nice for it’s slimmer profile, but not as comfortable.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Do you want a frame or frameless? What’s your target base weight and base volume? Will you have a bear canister? Is this for on-trail only or some off trail too? What features are important to you (hip belt, side pockets for water, or water on the shoulder straps, front pocket, roll top, etc).

+1 on the MLD Burn – it is a good traditional choice for a moderately small frameless backpack. It has good features and the best shoulder strap shape IMHO. At 13 ounces, the Burn’s a good general purpose UL pack, but it’s a bit heavy for SUL if that’s your thing. The Burn’s big enough for a Bear Vault BV450 and easily fits a Bear Boxer 101. The 210d Dyneema X fabric is strong enough for one-trail and most off-trail use IMHO, though I’d want thicker fabric for crawling through gritty Utah slot canyons.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I use a Super Burn from MLD for 3-day trips.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Assuming 8-10lb base weight and small volume.

The ultimate direction Fastpack 20.  Perfect size to put gear and 3 days of food.

once you use vest style straps I don’t think you go back to regular shoulder straps for 15lb loads.  So convenient to have all you snacks and water on your chest so you don’t need to go into your pack until at least lunch.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The one that fits best that carries your stuff and matches you hiking style is best. Your question is too vague to get an intelligent answer, just random choices.

I like my ULA Ohm v1.0

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I was going to say MLD Burn, too, for a two-night trip.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Burn for 4 days.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

I am a backpacker that struggles with a sweaty back. I always try to take my Murmer first if I can keep everything under 15 lbs. It’s light and comfortable. The Murmer has that back sleeve for a sit pad but I can also stick a towel in there that pulls the sweat off my back. When I stop for a rest, I take off the pack and let the towel dry in the sun. Also when I travel by plane, I only take the Murmer.

For colder or longer trips I take the zpack Arc Blast. I like how I can adjst the torso for my fit AND it allows air to go across my back.

-Barry

The mountains were made for Tevas

Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderoos

2-3 summer nights = Burn, baby, Burn

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

ULA CDT for my short trips. I love the water bottle holders on the should straps. It’s a very convenient way/place to carry water bottles.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 to MLD Burn

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Murmur.

Andrew Srna
    BPL Member

@andy-s

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Zpacks Zero, which isn’t exactly made anymore, but a Nero is fairly close. Zimmerbuilt could also build something very similar. Mine is 8oz.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

What’s the volume of your current custom Zimmerbuilt? Also, do you need to schlep a bear canister?

I use the same pack for 3 days that I would for 10, summer-fall. Currently a Hanchor Marl. Prior to that it was an HMG Porter 3400.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Actually, the Murmur will fit a Bear Vault…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools