Topic

The Skyline Trail: A Canadian Rockies Gem

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The Skyline Trail: A Canadian Rockies Gem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

Companion forum thread to: The Skyline Trail: A Canadian Rockies Gem

Introduction The Canadian Rockies are full of backpacking opportunities which are well-traveled but secluded. One scenic route is the Skyline Trail in

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Nice trip report. Is that weather typical for earlier in the season as well?

On behalf of my countrymen, I’m sorry to hear about their behavior. Did you feel you could not speak to them directly about it? In a few cases it might cause them to think.

Years ago my friend and I were lying in a tent in a campground somewhere in Canada, along the Alaskan Highway. Some boys were camped nearby, drinking, and they got louder and louder as the night progressed. They finally came to our tent to ask us to join them. We were terrified- 4-5 of them and only two of us. We said no and they left us alone. The next day they came over to apologize for their party and recommended that we carry guns when camping!

Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

Hi Karen,

Yes, very typical weather for the area. Earlier in the season can be even worse. Many of the high passes this far North are frozen shut well into the summer months. I have aspirations of traveling to another similar area called Lake O’hara. The area is not accessible until late June / July at best. The Mount Robson area is also similar, one of the famous passes there (Snowbird Pass) can be untravelable well into August on occasion.

Haha, I did in fact consider saying something. Two things held me back. First, I am classically Canadian and didn’t want to offend them. Which in retrospect is a rather amusing cultural paradox. Someone is being ‘offensive’ but heaven forbid I offend them by saying something…. Second, on occasion, I’ve also seen some portions of the population intentionally become more obnoxious when someone says something. Not sure if anyone else has seen that much but it always crosses my mind when in that situation.

I guarantee, I would have said something if they had started cooking next to my tent though. I would have come unglued. I learned one thing about myself when I came face to face with a couple Grizz in close quarters, I don’t care much for being eyed up as their next meal.  I’ll do anything to prevent encouraging their presence in ‘my personal bubble.’ In that case though, I am certain my face said louder and clearer what my lips did not.

Guns? In Canada? Haha must have been Alaskans, our government doesn’t like when it’s citizens have guns. Though the apologizing sounds very Canadian, but only if they apologized and then apologized for apologizing…. Mildly tongue in cheek, however it would be fairly rare to meet too many Canadians ‘packing’ in the National Parks. It’s actually completely prohibited/illegal. In some of the non-park areas, known as Crown Land, you’ll run into hunters who are ‘packing’ but only during hunting seasons. There are a few others you’ll run into all season, like those with livestock/horses or hunting guides scouting for hunting grounds off season. Crown Land is exceptionally wild and rarely has trails. It does usually house a lot of cougars, problem (read habituated and or failure to avoid human contact and minimal deterrents failed) grizzly and black bears exported from parks and towns which is why you’ll run into more ‘packers’ there. Last resort with the rogues.

You’ll also have the possible displeasure of meeting obnoxious ATVer’s who pack a bunch of garbage in and don’t clean up afterwards. Or pack a bunch of booze in, crank stereos and have loud obnoxious parties. A personal pet peeve of mine. Everywhere which becomes vehicle accessible, like campgrounds, unfortunately tend to have a higher population of the inconsiderate. I have had some awful nights in campgrounds in every country I’ve ever stayed in. I’m all for having a good time but there should be some restraint no matter where you are or are from. Just my ten cents, but I thing every Outdoor user should consider their noise impact on others.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice trip report, thanks

I did that in 1980.  Other Canadian trips over the years.  It seems like Canadians are several decades behind the U.S. in becoming rude : )

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sorry you had a bunch of crap to deal with for a 27 mile hike. If you need a permit to hike then it is most likely busy enough you won’t avoid these situations. Better to go where less people go. Or expect the RVer mentality.

Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

OOOH!!!! Jerry do you have photos! My great Aunt hiked there in the 70’s/80’s and I really want to see what it was like. She was a prolific photographer but her photos were donated to a historical society when she died but no one remembers which one.

I may agree with you on that last statement. You should see the look on any traveling Canadian’s face when someone says: ‘Canadian? Just like the Americans, it’s like all the same country.’ If looks could kill…. while they politely say nothing. 😂 I truly hope painfully polite remains part of Canadian national pride. That said I have met many wonderful Americans. I think the biggest thing, is there are many more of them and by sheer number of exposures ‘rude’ interactions will occurs.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

sorry, no pictures

One thing I remember was on this large open area, there was this herd of Caribou that surrounded us, we had a dog (on leash) that thought this was pretty amazing.  And we saw the Aurora.  And we ate some bad food the morning before so we were quite sick the first night.

From remembering the wilderness here in Oregon 50 years ago or whatever, I think it’s mostly the same.  We have done fairly well preserving our wildernesses.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Hi Emylene!  Thanks for your trip report and wonderful pictures,  which in many ways remind me of our Beartooth Plateau here in Montana…it’s a different kind of hike than in the PNW rainforest, that’s fer sure.  As for your unfortunate encounter with my compatriot bozos, well, they’re everywhere.  And as the years roll by it seems that there are more of them; I refer to them as hall-of-famers.

I’m glad you discovered the joys and utility of the bumbershoot!  For thirty years of living in the PNW I never went up into the mountains without one…better than a Gore-tex jacket anyday, so good for you.

Happy trails!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools