Topic

Tarptent Dipole Li Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tarptent Dipole Li Review

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Scott B
    BPL Member

@linus

To me, the obvious comparison is the Rainbow Li to the Dipole 1. Initial thoughts for this comparison:

1) weights similar

2) Dipole better in wind (but is it really? Would a Rainbow actually be blown over when a Dipole would remain standing?)

3) Dipole better for condensation seems right with the end vents and two doors

4) Rainbow better for footprint; appears tigher

5) Rainbow better for interior space, especially headspace at ends; and is square without the hourglass shape

6) Rain protection? Rainbow better at ends, Dipole better on sides.  Assuming that this end curtain works fine, … I’d probably give the nod to the Dipole – but I’m a bit skeptical about these ends and would feel a bit better if it had more overhang

Personally, if I were to make a suggestion, it would be to add a couple inches width to the Dipole1. I use a wide sleeping pad, and like to arrange my stuff to either side of my head; so that I can just grab during the night. I have to add that I’m a MYOG person, and I’ve occasionally sketched around about what my “dream tent” would be, and the Dipole1 is the closest thing I’ve seen to what I’ve been drawing… my vision was a width of closer to 38″-40″ though.

I LOVE THE TWO DOORS FOR THE DIPOLE1. For breeze, condensation control, and extra protection from condensation since if you shift to the side, you’re against the mesh and not the outer wall.

Well done, Mr. Shires and co.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@oldmanhiking

Could this be the 2P+ trekking pole tent I’ve been looking for that can accommodate my wife, me and our 60lbs. dog? If so, I think you might have a winner Henry!

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Ryan’s breakdown of wind speeds aligns well with the sailing world. A full gale is 39-54 mph – not a pleasant place to be in boat or tent!

Thanks to Henry and Dan, I feel that we are in the Golden Age of UL tents. But new materials are being developed that will improve on DCF – and hopefully less costly, too.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I agree we have some amazing UL tent designs out there currently.   For several years I used a Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter (made out of Spinniker – remember that stuff?) .  At the time it was the lightest fully enclosed shelter in the world at just over 10oz and I used it with just polycro, or with a SMD Metor bivy, or a Custom made inner by Alpinelite (now Yama Mtn Gear).  Lot’s of UL shelters today aren’t lighter, but they are a lot more livable and more stormworthy.

Jon Fong
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Yes, materials are important, but what both gentlemen have done is to think outside the box and innovative structures that have great interior space and improved the user setup.  I myself, like the design of the Dipole and look forward to it when it is offered in an affordable material.  Great job Henry & Dan, way to raise the bar!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Liked the Dipole for adding the space and comfort to what would otherwise be just another A-frame or ‘pup’ tent that can be so confining.  But think it foolish to expect trekking pole tents to handle high winds, which come in all directions and forms that make data collection a fruitless approach to severe weather .  And the experiences related in the current thread about stakes provide a good indication that stakes also have their limitations.

So continue to agree with the observation about “… any condition appropriate for a trekking pole tent – which is *not* extreme winds or severe storms. Look elsewhere if you need shelter for those conditions!”

The problem is that “those conditions” can often nail anyone who is out in the high country for any length of time.  And that includes even some not so high Eastern US peaks, as shown by the winds frequently recorded on Mount Washington.

For that reason, frame supported tents remain the answer for those who are going to be out long enough to make severe storms a real possibility.  Sure, you can get away with mild weather for a few weeks if lucky; but it is all a crapshoot.

When heaven turns to hell on earth, what has worked for me is simply descent to more protected areas, even through it can require a significant detour from the projected route.  And what also helps is a frame supported tent that depends far less on stakes for survival.

Unfortunately, the lust for lightness has encouraged the production of frames that are more like loose assemblies of struts that provide limited support when the wind howls.  A good frame with no loose ends for a solo tent can weigh less than six ounces using best quality filament wound carbon.  That is not too great a price to pay for not using trekking pole supports in tents that are inherently unstable.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!