Topic

Superior Wilderness Designs Rugged Long Haul Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Superior Wilderness Designs Rugged Long Haul Review

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

My apologies! I totally missed those. Mine does have drain holes on the front pocket.

Charlie Brenneman
    BPL Member

@cwbrenneman

Locale: Primarily Desolation Wilderness, Yosemite, and SEKI

This pack doesn’t miss! Is that the venom mesh? I thought you had the 400 all around. How would you rate that pocket overall? Ability to stretch and hold gear? Durability? You find it caught any snags when bushwhacking or scrambling off trail?

John R
    BPL Member

@yellowmoose

Hi Charlie, I used this pack for about a week last year in the Boundary Waters Canoe area. The front pocket on the rugged Long haul doesn’t feel quite as “bottomless” if you know what I mean, as a venom mesh pocket, such as the ones on a ULA circuit or other models.

If the main pack compartment is pretty full, such as with quilts stuffed down in the bottom, the contents in the front pocket feel pretty secure. However if you don’t have alot in that pocket or in the main bag compartment it feels like items can move around. If I were to order this bag again I think I would get the whole body in the 400 or 200 but opt for a venom mesh front pocket. Just my two cents I think Alex has more trail miles on his bag so his feedback might be more valuable.

Charlie Brenneman
    BPL Member

@cwbrenneman

Thanks John, this is really helpful. I’ve wondered about that with the non-stretch materials. One thing I thought about asking them as a custom add on would be to put another attachment point on the outside of the front pocket at the top, like the Seek Outside Flight does. This would allow it to close the front pocket with the top strap and hopefully secure the contents better. I don’t like shockcord especially when it snags on branches.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I do have Ultra 400 all around, front pocket included. I think that photo captures the weave of the fabric in a way to make it look different.

Anyhoo, I’m probably not the best to comment on the front pocket because I just don’t use it much. I put everything in the main bag and reserve the front pocket for a wet rain jacket etc., which doesn’t happen often in the “range of light.” FWIW, it does easily fit a rain shell.

The Ultra 400 is not stretchy, at all, but the pocket is pleated so it does expand a few inches. The opening of the pocket has a nice stretch band sewn in to the top opening to keep it closed up.

Charlie Brenneman
    BPL Member

@cwbrenneman

Thanks! Yeah I think I realized that after I sent the message. The color did look different at first glance. I’m kind of the same way with packing in that pocket. I’m too afraid of losing stuff that if I do put anything in there it is my rain gear and wind jacket if I might need it on the trail that day.

John R
    BPL Member

@yellowmoose

I added a zigzag of shock cord over the face of the front pocket, and it helps stabilize and compress the pocket. Even more so when your rainjacket, etc. is shoved under the cord.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

My Wolverine is all Ultra 400 including the front pocket.  I find it holds a sufficient amount of gear. It is pleated and I think the elastic opening is plenty secure. I’ve never even given it a thought. Yesterday I used the pack as a day pack and only had a jacket, a towel and food for lunch for some scouts on a weekend hike we were doing.  I stuffed food in the pocket and it seemed secure. I never worried anything might move around or fall out.  The stretchy fabric pockets eventually get holes. It would take quite a bit of abrasion to put a hole in the 400 pocket.

If the pocket is not big enough, you could add an SWD bow bag. 14 extra liters for 3oz.

In the photo in the link the bow bag is attached to the front pocket. There is a Bearikade Weekender and an Ursack Allmitey plus my gear inside.

https://imgur.com/a/lZvWYBE

Charlie Brenneman
    BPL Member

@cwbrenneman

I had forgotten about that option to add on to the pack. I like that idea to get my overall capacity closer to the Wolverine but still keeping the frame of the Long Haul. Might be what I would do if I am carrying a BV475/500 vertically and it eats up too much internal space. Impressive that pocket can hold such a heavy weight. What was the trip you took for that pack out?

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

The Ursack and the Bearikade were in the pack.  The bow bag I used to put clothes in.  My Wolverine is 50l same as the long haul. It is a long haul with a taller frame and I believe a little beefier hipbelt.

The trip was last summer in the White Cloud mountains in Idaho with some scouts and a few other dads.

SWD makes a stretchy pocket that attaches the same as the bow bag.

I also switched out the stock stays for a set of tubular stays that Dan Ransom made for another pack.  I think it reduces the weight about 3.5 ounces or so.  The tubular stays are a bit stiffer.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools