Topic

Sunglasses – what do you use for eye protection?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sunglasses – what do you use for eye protection?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Apart from a brimmed had or cap, I am curious what you use for eye protection?

I do long days in and out of the forrest about twice a week. Apart from that I walk roughly 10Km a day to pick up my son from Kindergarten. The sun here in Japan is intense.
    I have had “nice” sunglasses with prescription but haven’t have them updated. Last years I have used mostly cheap sunglasses that go over my normal glasses. I feel like I want to go back to a nicer frame and better glass for over my regular sunglasses as in the summer they keep on sliding off my wet head.

Just curious what you use – cheapie, expensive, nothing – and what’s your reasoning / experience with them.

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

A Julbo Dirt 2.0 with polarised glasses. Works fine on my head.

Easily keep it on for a whole day and sits comfortably. After a while I forget I’m wearing it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I need something when skiing. I go with contact lenses and cheap Cancer Council wrap-around glasses. They work just as well as the $400 ‘designer’ glasses.

Cheers

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Personally, I like Ray Ban’s with G15 Glass (not polycarbonate). Poly scratches, glass can take much more abuse. There’s no real reason to spend more than $100 for a pair of sunglasses…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Brimmed hat is usually good enough, except on snow

I have some prescription sunglasses.  I’ve tried multiple clip ons, but I don’t like them – an extra surface to fog up or get dirty

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

I wear hard contact lens and any amount of dust in them is irritating.  I wear WileyX Jake sunglasses with protective dust shield around the perimeter.  Works great at keeping the dust out along with reducing internal glass reflections.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 w/Brad

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Contractor safety glasses.

Inexpensive, durable, light, flexible (wraps around construction helmets after all), provides good physical protection and UV protection, too.   Comes in different tints depending on the situation (I wear dark for three-season; a light gray tint for winter).

I’ve had good luck with Nemesis brand. In bulk, with S&H, I ended up paying $5-6 a pair for 5.   Other brands would work just as well I suspect.

I suspect other countries have similar type glasses for construction crews. If not as inexpensive as North America, probably much less expensive than designer sunglasses in general regardless of the country.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Maui Jims! Got to look good on the trail too!

If someone finds a pair on second beach then they are mine. (Add one of those straps to hold them around your neck).

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Smith Pivlock.

Very light, durable, good wraparound cover good enough for intense sunlight – and reasonably priced compared to many designer items.   If the lenses get scratched, they can be replaced for only $20.   I have had one pair survive two years, which is quite impressive given that I don’t keep them in a hard case, and I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve dropped them, sat on them, etc. – they have basically been everywhere with me.    One time, I even backtracked 2 miles on Muir Pass to look for them;  it turned out they were on my head, inside my hat.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

My coworker was about to throw out some Ironman sunglasses after the earpiece snapped off. I promptly broke off the second earpiece and wound some shock cord through. They look funny but they were free, pack as small as possible, and I throw them anywhere without covering. Previously I used a ~$40 pair that I was always afraid to scratch.

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

I have these and love them!

http://www.amazon.com/Suncloud-S-TLPPBRBR-P-Tailgate-Polarized-Sunglasses/dp/B00BY3YAGW

Suncloud is Smith’s less expensive line – quality is great for the $. Polarized lenses and they are super light weight! And they offer lots of different styles for men and women for around $40.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Here’s my favorite:

http://sporteyz.com/features-uses.html

Suggestions:

*Replace the adjusting cord lock with a small nut or washer to save weight

*Use a black marker to cover the annoying advertising logo

*Don’t ever roll them back up for storage–keep them flat and clean with a alcohol pads (for eyeglasses).

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I use these:

http://www.zennioptical.com/450421-stainless-steel-full-rim-frame-w-spring-hinges.html

With a dark tint, of course.  They have held up very well and aren’t any more expensive than cheap sunglasses.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I wear prescription polarized sunglasses ordered online from Warby Parker, $175. Some eyeglass shops in USA will put prescription lenses in high-quality sunglass frames like those suggested above, but you will pay $300 and up. Prescription glasses or sunglasses from most sources in USA are waaay overpriced. Don’t know what options you have in Japan.

Tried various contraptions over prescription clear glasses, didn’t like any of them.

Often I don’t wear sunglasses when hiking or backpacking away from civilization, as long as I have a hat with a brim. I need sunglasses only while driving, or in town with lots of intense reflections.

— Rex

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I use folding sunglasses that come in a little clam shell case that has an elastic strap that fits nicely on the waste belt strap on my pack (shown attached to the waist belt of my MLD Burn).  It’s a fairly solid case, so it protects well and the glasses are always handy.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Thanks for the tons of feedback.

Some nice ideas about the safety glasses and those folding sporteyz glasses. Julbo and Rayban and the Sporteyz don’t work over my prescription glasses though.

As for expensive vs cheap, I’ve done both. I prefer cheaper because I don’t have to baby them. I had prescription sunglasses but I too find it way overpriced in Japan. Together with updating my regular and spare glasses (I need a spare for time sensitive work) the cost is too high to update when I need to.

My favourite was a $25 one that had great glasses in them. I had to replace those and the replace cheapies were not that great. I was standing right in front of a huge wild boar (common here) and thought it was a giant rock. It was an interesting encounter. I also found I trip more with the new cheapie glasses.

Now I found a pair with frame that I really like, but they’re expensive ones. I’ll see first if I like the options of local safety glasses. Otherwise I’ll bite the bullet and hope they survive the paws of my dear 2,5 year old little monster.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

” I had prescription sunglasses but I too find it way overpriced in Japan”

I’ve heard zennioptical, which someone mentioned, is cheap and good quality.  I don’t know if there’d be a problem shipping to Japan.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I checked and Zenni Optical ships to Japan (and a long list of other countries).  I don’t know how much shipping is, but for $20 US for the glasses, including prescription, it would seem to be the best value even with shipping costs.  BTW, the glasses come in a plastic case that is good for protecting the glasses when backpacking.  :)

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Very helpful. Very cheap and can’t believe they do the prescription like that as well.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Brimmed hat is usually good enough, except on snow

This is is what I do. Sometimes I bring a pair of Maui Jim bifocals, the reader part is just off the shelf magnification and the rest plain polarized plastic. I have tried clip-on for my regular glasses and don’t care for them.

I bought my everyday glasses from Zenni based on the positive feedback here on BPL. Paid around $100 for a titanium frame and progressive lenses. I may get a pair with transition lenses one of these days and would go the Zenni route again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Whatever you do, just make sure that you can wear your sunglasses at night too–it’s very important as you will see….(i’m trying to respark the trend that never got off the ground)

YouTube video

Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

For years I used Ztec safety glasses. They were cheap and I could buy them by the dozen. They get scratched I just threw them away. The kids want to wear them no problem. I have just ordered a pair of Peppers sunglasses. They have a great warranty so we will see how it goes.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

+1, Paul and Jeffery, on the safety sunglasses.  Actually tested and certified for impact resistance.  And if they get scratched?  At < $2 each, toss ’em!

They’re all made from polycarbonate which inherently blocks UV without any coatings.

And they’re really light weight.

In thicker layers, polycarbonate is known as “bullet-proof glass”.

Search eBay for “12-pack safety sunglasses”.  12 for $20.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I have been very pleased with the Suncloud Excursion model for years now. Just the right amount of wrap coverage, low weight, airflow, neutral tint.

http://www.suncloudoptics.com/SUNGLASSES/Rimless/Excursion/p/S-EXPPGYBK?

I use a variety of construction glasses a lot and they never seem quite as good.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools