Topic

Miksa pot lifter discussion restored

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General)  Miksa pot lifter discussion restored

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

hacked Miksa pot lifter discussion restored
    Roger

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Pretty light! I thought Bill’s was light

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/2365/

Stefan Jacobsen
    Spectator

@hrstefan

It’s tiny and hardly useful for anything heavier than a cup of coffee. A pair of gloves has multiple use functionality, including grabbing exactly that.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It’s cute as heck and would probably be nice to use with a handleless Toaks 550  but for $29 including shipping I’ll probably just buy a 550 with a handle from Zelph when he rolls a bead in them…

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

The handles on my pot weigh 14g so… $29 for 8g, much harder to grip, much easier to drop/lose and, as previously mentioned, very limited use cases.

My opinion only but…No thanks, I’m good.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

John, do a video for us using the lifter to pour 2.5 cups of hot water into a freezer bag. The lifter is cute but looks like it is limited to 1 cup max.

One handle on a Toaks 600 weighs in at 8 grams and easily can pour 2 cups into a freezer bag. The handle remains attached to the pot for storage ;)

Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

Jon – this is solid. Already have one on order. Now if only this thing could multi-function as something else, it would be even more solid. :)

David L
    BPL Member

@family-guy-2-2

Great alternative product, despite the amount of unnecessary vitriol by other posters.  Thanks John.  Steve makes great stuff.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

…despite the amount of unnecessary vitrol by other posters

from dictionary.com…

Vitriol

3. something highly caustic or severe in effect, as criticism.

Sorry David, but I’m just not seeing it. The comments I’m reading look like measured, thoughtful, reasonable alternative viewpoints which I believe is the point (and the value) of these forums.

Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

Cool, but I don’t think I’d want to try to pour any amount of scalding water with that thing.  Seems only functional to lift my mug out of a fire.  If my handle-less pot is on an alcohol stove or pocket rocket, I can just use my gloved hand.  But I like pots with built-in handles best if I’m bothering cooking.

I haven’t tried one, but doesn’t the polyester thread on a SUL Keg Pot serve the same function for a few grams and more secure grasp?  Or a little carbon fiber cozy?

Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

Pot holder arriving next week, I’ll post a real-life test for everyone.

Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

Anyone tried a carbon felt pot grabber/cozy?

YouTube video

Probably more than 6 grams but I doubt much more.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you Gary :-)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Described as

Are you sick and tired of burning your fingers and hands when you lift your hot pot off your stove? You need the Miksa Pot Lifter. Ultralight and ultra small, this little device dissappears into your pack and at 6 grams, you won’t even know it is there until you pull it out. Made of high strength aluminum and designed to lift any size standard backpacking pot, but due to the small size, any more than about 2 1/2 cups of water will become difficult to lift and maneuver with such a tiny aparatus.

I’m assuming he confirmed that this gripper can handle two cups of water prior to releasing this, but Gary will soon confirm.

It’s nice to have UL options.

Thanks John.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

It’s always good to have a discussion, and I do enjoy feedback so I can improve my products, so thank you for that. The first Miksa’s shipped out just now, people will be getting them late this week and next week…Gary, yours it on it’s way.

As for the capacity or concerns regarding it, you will have no problem lifting 2 to 3 cups of water. After that, because it is quite small (and not very long) it will depend more on how strong you are. Bodybuilders with bulging forearms could likely lift a gallon in a cast iron cauldron with it ;), while those on the opposite end will want to stick to my recommended maximum 2 1/2 cups – which is typically what most of us boil on solo trips for meals.

I’m here if there are any questions and look forward to the gang trying it out. Thanks for the support.

Steve

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Steve; how do you think it will go with a fosters pot?

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I pulled the trigger and ordered one. It worked well with the Toaks 550 and is an easy lift and pour with a full cup. Much more water and your be pushing it.  Not sure whether it’s more useful than the Toaks with handles. I’ll have to test if the handles conduct heat with the cone.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I’ll have to test if the handles conduct heat with the cone.

Yes they will get hot
    No they will not.

Both are correct answers.
    The difference is in keeping the handles touching during the burn or separating them.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Adam,
    I use mine with  fosters pot – you have to be careful not to squeeze too hard or it will bend the side of the pot – mine is pretty beaten up so the small dents do not bother me much. One of the reasons i have the grippers contact the pot so low below the lip is that I wanted to be able to grip below the angled ridge on many of the beer can pots.

Richie/Franco,
    I had assumed that one would remove the Miksa and install the lid during the boiling process, however, you bring up a good point. They are aluminum, so will most definitely conduct heat…If left on during the boil, which I guess I should say I wouldn’t really recommend, they will get hot….how much I am not sure. Some testing will answer that.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Steven – yes I’d remove the lifter and put he lid on. If the handled version of the Toaks cup (I have both handled and nn-handled), conducts heat into the handles (there shouldn’t be too much heat coming out of the cone to heat them up) then the lifter has a definite advantage of not having to fuss with a bandana or gloves to take the pot off the heat.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

“The difference is in keeping the handles touching during the burn or separating them.”
    By separating I meant spreading them out ( when on the stove) not removing them.
    Like this :

Try it…

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Franco,

I learned something new. Previously I would not have thought that would make such a great difference.

I am the practical/empirical type and really appreciate such stuff.

THANKS!

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Thanks Franco – I’ll give it a go.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

“Franco,

I learned something new. Previously I would not have thought that would make such a great difference.”

I learned this from a comment Franco posted back in 2009. :) Good info

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Waiting for feedback from those who purchased. No videos, then it doesn’t work worth a toot for lifting 2 cups boiling water ;)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools