Topic

Pot Lifter – MYOG

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pot Lifter – MYOG

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I have several pot lifters and a couple are very light. I was in one of my local outfitters last week to buy a Brunton Optimus NOVA liquid fuel stove.

I looked at an MSR Titanium Cook Pot set that had a nice looking pot lifter as part of the set. I asked about the pot lifter and was told MSR sells them seperate for $12.95. It weighs 1oz.

I have a bunch of small pieces of aluminum and titanium left over from other projects and decided I would try and make a new pot lifter. I made several paper card stock models and played with them until I came up with a design that I thought might work.

I made the first version out of some thin aluminum. I made a few changes and this one works well. It will lift a mostly full 1.5 L pot of water OK. The aluminum version weighs 13.3 grams or 0.47oz.

My plan is to make a titanium version and expect it will weigh about half the aluminum version or about 0.25oz to 0.30oz.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Bill, did you just ‘roll’ the outer handle around a pen or something?

MSR LiteLifter (for reference)

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Bill, Nice design.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Joshua asked:

Q – 1. Bill, did you just 'roll' the outer handle around a pen or something?

A – 1. I used a screw driver clamped to my work bench. Sorry it happened so fast I didn't take a picture. This is what it looks like:

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Really good idea! Keep us posted about developments!

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Nice, I knew you had to have used a ‘form’ of some sort as I doubt even you could get a round that good ‘freehand’.

This is going in my bookmarks for when I get time after baby is born.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Joshua, You might want to save this thread to a PDF file. It might disappear without warning. I seemed to have overstepped “the Chaff” boundary and so anything with my name on it might be fair game for the big deleter in the sky.

Anonymous

Bill – it was the whole thread that went missing, not just your post. I don’t think it was you specifically that caused this so much as the degeneration of the entire thread. You caught a fair amount of flack, and things got a bit personal.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

PM with a Pot Lifter Question on – April 8, 2010

Q -What thickness of aluminum did you use to make it? And what type of fastener did you use on the finished product? Is it something I, someone without a machine shop but with a carpenter father, would be able to reproduce?

A – Hi,

When I was trying to get my gear list below the "SUL" 5 pound level I looked at every item that was on (back then) my gear list. My first goal was to try and reduce each items weight by at least 50%.

When I got to my Pot Lifter I looked at what I had been using and looked at the new MSR Pot Lifter. I liked the design of the MSR item and decided to make a copy but out of lighter material.

The aluminum I used was 1/32 of and inch thick. After playing with my pattern mockup I cut the aluminum using a pair of tin snips. Then I did the final shaping with a file. I drilled the holes and made a "rivet" out of some aluminum round rod material. I buy this at a local hobby shop. The round rod was about 5/32 inch. I cut a short piece and put one end into the three pieces that make up the handles of the pot lifter. I put the pot handle on its side and laying on that large flat chisel you see me using to bend the aluminum. I hit the end of the aluminum a few times until I made a cap of sorts on one end. Then I trimmed most of the other end of the aluminum rod and did the same to that end. I now had a small cap on each end of the aluminum rod – making a rivet to hold it all together. Don't make it so tight you can't work the handle.

I practiced making the rivet a few times before I did it on the Pot Lifter.

Most of the tools I use are simple hand tools.

When I first made this Pot Lifter I planned on making another one but using some thin Titanium. The aluminum was light enough and work fine. I never made the Titanium version.

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

Thanks for bumping this.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Nice design.

Are you able to lift a pot and turn sideways to pour water out into a freezer bag or is it limited to lifting only?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Dan,

I haven't seen this thread in about a year.

Your answer is YES, no problem. I just ran a couple of tests. This is a rather large pot and one I would use to melt snow and dry bake in. It is 6 -1/2" across and 3 " deep. I put 4 cups of water in the pot and poured it like your question asks. No problem at all. The 4 cups fills the pot about 2/3. I then filled the pot to the top [6 cups and 1569.8 grams or 3.46 pounds of weight] and poured. I still have great control and no sliding of the pot lifter.

This pot has a nice lip on it so it is easy to get a good grip.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Are these for sale?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

No, I don't sell the things I make. I do encourage others to make their own gear.

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

Hi Bill,

Thanks for encouraging others to make their own gear. You taught me a lot over the last couple of years.

Just came across this post and, since I have some Ti-foil scrap laying around which is 0.003" thick (bought it from Steve at Suluk46), I'm thinking of replacing my pot lifter (weight: 31gr. – just over an ounce). Do you think this Ti-foil will be sturdy enough? I would use same with one of the BPL Firelite SUL Titanium Cookpots I have (1350 for groups, 550 when solo). As you might know, these pots don't have a large rim, so it might be a bit trickier to have it working well.

Many thanks in advance.

Henk – The Flying Dutchman

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Bill, what were the dimensions of this pot holder?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Brian,

Does this give you what you are looking for?

photo PotLifter006_zpscd6d06a5.jpg

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I ignored this before because I don't need a pot lifter, but

I like the progression from 1st to 2nd version – simpler, I can see your thinking evolving

"No, I don't sell the things I make. I do encourage others to make their own gear."

Yeah – selling things is such a pain, obnoxious customers that are never happy, it's hard to make a profitable business with overhead and everything, I really respect all the people here that make and sell things. Making many copies of the same thing gets boring.

It's interesting how the commercial version weighs twice as much or more and has extra features that are un-necesary. They don't care too much about weight. They like "features" the marketing people can spin. They don't appreciate simplicity. That's why you have to make it yourself. Plus, you get to experience the creativity of designing and making something.

It's interesting you posted this in 2006, and you're still here, 7 years later.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Jerry,

I have been a member here since 24 August 2003, that makes it almost 10 years.

I might be the oldest continues member if you don't count some guy named Ryan Jordan or other "staff" members.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

That's perfect. Thanks!

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I've been using a DIY silicone thumb and two finger protector as a pot pincher/grabber, but now I'm inspired to see how light I can make something like your model. Should have some ti around here somewhere . . .

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Rob, I think the thickness of your stove wall titanium would be perfect for this. The planet needs this light weight pot grabber! At least I do…

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

The first time I read this article (quite a few years ago), the design draw my attention and decided I wanted to imitate same (you all know the old saying about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery) but I never got around of doing so. When I saw it again (yesterday), I decided to start straight away. And…… yes, I’ve already made the first drawing (to be able to calculate the weight and find out whether it would be worthwhile):
    Tenazas 2
    I’m planning to make it out of stainless steel (thickness: 0,75mm) and it should be much smaller than Bill’s design (small enough to be stored inside my BPL 550SUL Firelite Cookpot); according to the first calculations, it shouldn’t weigh more than 15 or 16 gr (less than 5/8oz).
    I’m hoping to make enough holes in the grips, like in the next drawing, to get it under 14gr (1/2oz).
    Tenazas 4
    Once I’ve made the pot lifter, I’ll post some pictures here.

David Hunter

@mdhunter

I own a Vargo pot lifter, but it is too long and WIDE. If someone can make me one like these drawings, I want to buy one. Someone give me a reason to spend a few dollars!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Henk,

You have come up with a nice "machine age" design.

But I like the sleek, aerodynamic "Rhosgobel Rabbit" speed and magic design of my Pot Lifter.

If you aren't sure what a Rhosgobel Rabbit is check out this link.

Rhosgobel Rabbit

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools