Topic

Sterno Inferno Sale KaBoom!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Sterno Inferno Sale KaBoom!

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

Very cool, I’m in for a windscreen Dan!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ok John K, 

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

@johnnyh88, I’ll get that weight for you tomorrow. 

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

This is an interesting concept, both what Dan has done, and also John Fong in recent weeks(?).

The Sterno pot is of similar weight to the BOT 700 that I already own (and like). The BOT having the advantage of course of having a screw thread lid for cold soaking, water carriage etc. The Sterno, efficiency. If one cold soaks their meal for an hour or two beforehand, or, pre-warms the water (not neccessarily to boil) for the “cold soak” period, then fuel weight is saved (assuming a hot meal requirement). Conversely with the Sterno fuel weight is saved in cooking because of the fins.

Dan; I wonder if your titanium windscreen design could go on a BOT 700? Or have you already tried this? No doubt it would increase the BOT efficiency with a gas stove somewhat particularly in winds. The main downside I see with the BOT is its narrow diameter leading to reduced efficiency. I then wonder which stove is most appropriate…something like a SOTO windmaster or Pocket Rocket Deluxe does better in the wind than say a BRS, but are much heavier and more meant for larger diameter pots and bigger power outputs.

Questions, questions :-)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

My Vargo BOT is outside in my travel trailer man cave which is snowbound, not able to see if heat excahnge windscreen fits.

The disc that John Fong came up with is a little on the awkward side, can’t fit in pot, prone to getting bent in storage and stove needs to be taken apart when wanting to use it. Not easy peasy.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

can’t fit in pot

Um,  well it does fit

prone to getting bent in storage

Well, if you find 1/16″ aluminmum or 0.02″ Full hard Stainless Steel prone to bending, then you might be correct.

I am not trying to hijack your thread, just trying to keep things above board and thruthful.  The stove does not need to be taken apart.  You can if you wish to stove the stove AND a 4 oz fuel canister.  Best regards.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

[edit-mk]

The photo I saw said it would not fit. [edit-mk]

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’m interested. What’s the windscreen itself weigh?

Windscreen weighs 29 grams

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio

I’m interested in a windscreen for sure!

Thanks Dan!

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio

Dan’s kit just arrived and it is really stable and solid.  The windscreen/potstand saves 32 g on my scale over the factory one and is super stable. His kit with the supplied Starlyte XL3 stove is AWESOME! Total weight: Inferno Pot with handles, early version of Dan’s lid (possibly heavier with wooden knob), Dan’s windscreen/potstand, and Starlyte XL3 stove with lid (no fuel) is 5.8oz or 166 g! And it all fits in the pot with the lid on. Plenty of room for my lighter, folding spoon and space for a fire starter or two!

FYI, I’m not affiliated with Dan, just enjoy a nice alcohol kit!

Pot 1

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’ll be doing more research of a scientific nature inspired by the recent thread on the “Joule Thief” pot on the usage of 2 grams of fuel used to boil 2 cups. I will be purchasing a more accurate scale to be sure of my actual usage.

In another thread there was information given that an increase of 50% was acheived by the addition of fins to the side of a commercial kitchen pot. The fins on the windscreen used in conjunction with the Sterno Inferno pot might be the reason why I experienced the 2 gram per boil.

I’m downsizing my stove sales for the next month, getting rid of inventory and materials. I’ll be selling off the windscreens seen in this thread next week.

Unforunate that Sterno Inferno pots are no longer sold.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools