Topic

SPOT Gen3 Insures Rapid Emergency Rescue When Needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable SPOT Gen3 Insures Rapid Emergency Rescue When Needed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to: SPOT Gen3 Insures Rapid Emergency Rescue When Needed

SPOT Gen3 provides location-based messaging and emergency notification technology that allows you to communicate from remote locations around the globe. It offers custom tracking interval options, motion-activated tracking, long-life battery and more. Learn how one hiker used his SPOT Gen3 in a life-saving rescue involving another hiker with a heart condition.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Mountain Time?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’ve had a SPOT Gen 3 a year now. I got it for a backpack hunting trip in northern Nevada and have used it for training hikes “just in case”.

Once again this year I’m going back to hunt in Nevada’s Jarbige Wilderness Area so I can avoid the damnable trail bikes and ATVs that scare game. So it means taking my SPOT beacon.

This year I’m resetting my messages to reflect the situation.

HELP/ASSIST BUTTON-> “Call AAA and send them to my trailhead for a tow” (I’ll be parked at a remote trailhead that has a steep, deeply rutted entrance road.  I’m driving a very non off-road vehicle, a Prius v wagon. It is a delicate task getting the Prius wagon down the rough trailhead road without ripping out the bottom. It could rain heavily or even snow at 7,500 ft. and make the trailhead road impassable for my car. BTW, I will have tire chains.)

CUSTOM MESSAGE BUTTON-> “Got a deer/elk. Will call later.”

OK BUTTON-> “In camp for the night.”

This beacon was reliable last year in reporting my daily hunt routes and sending messages from the mountainous area so I’m satisfied with the SPOT performance.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘SPOT Gen3 Insures Rapid Emergency Rescue When Needed’ is closed to new replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools