Topic

Snow camping tents, arrrgh! What to get

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Snow camping tents, arrrgh! What to get

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Pulling my hair out trying to decide on a new winter tent or to even spend the  money.   Looking over tents during Thanksgiving holiday for snow camping to replace my BD Hilite which has no coverage for cooking.  It still works, just don’t like the internal pole setup and lack of cooking coverage.  It has been used in snow storms, light rain, cool sitting in it while cooking in a kitchen, watching it snow lightly.  Found numerous I initially thought would be great.  Either too heavy, too narrow, too much netting, too light fabric, negative comments.  A few mentioned sleeping bag touched, lost space in corners, sides, condensation.  Guess a negative review or two turned me off.  Should I look more at the number of positive reviews, of 4 stars or more?  Looked mostly at Nemo, BA, MSR.

Needs:

Two person for my 70 lb. dog and I.

Under 4 lbs., close to 3 would be great.

Only need one door on the side, not a requirement.

Vestibule or covered area for cooking in case of snowfall.

Fabric dog resistant.

50″ or so wide, little wider is a plus.  Free standing is a plus.

Suitable for 6′ footer or able to sleep at a angle w/space for dog in a corner.

TT or floorless shelter not wanted, don’t care for netting low down.  I do see at least one TT model has a insert option or two.  I don’t have trekking poles.

Under $4-500

I think that is it if you can help.   Not up on latest trends or cottage industry options.  I do have a Zpacks Duplex, but the netting kills that as being suitable.

Duane

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Big ask

Where would you be prepared to compromise? Weight or price?

I understand that dogs can be hard on LW gear so UL and LW gear may not be the correct choice and heavier sometimes means cheaper.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I’d say 4 lbs. is about tops as that is more than my BD at 3 lbs 5 oz. with 4 SMC stakes.  Could move some on price, but Hilleberg isn’t necessarily very roomy.  Would hate to pack 8 or 10 SMC stakes for some tents, may have to budge on weight and take fewer vintage stoves I collect.

Duane

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I have no advice or anything to offer then, my own winter tents are already twice that weight and I consider them just adequate for the conditions, but I don’t include snow pegs and other tie-downs in that weight.

What I use for 2P ski touring

https://www.helsport.no/lofoten-x-trem-camp

But I believe an extended version of the Patagonia tent is coming soon and I may trade up

https://www.helsport.no/patagonia

The extended vestibule on tents makes a huge difference in stormy conditions for cooking and general camp chores.

I have used smaller 2 kilo tents when solo but the bigger tent is so much better 2-Up when things get bad

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Build a snow cave and use a tarp for your kitchen…..you might even shed a couple of lbs of body weight on the trip…your next trip you’ll carry fewer lbs as long as you don’t gain it all back.

Why would one even carry a tent into the snow….a cave is so much warmer and more wind resistant.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I’ve had to deal with one big snow storm here in the Sierra, 2′ snow and high winds overnight by the Carson Pass, my old Sierra Designs tent needed me to support the poles when gusts hit.  They were deformed by morning, two others in our group had to bunk with another guy.

A snow cave is a lot of work, sweaty, I usually only go for one night.  The way things have been here in Kalifornia close to home, not enough snow to even make one or use snow shoes.  I don’t have the energy I used to have, so even long summer bp trips are hard now too.  Never got into using tarps even for car camping.

Duane

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Ok, that Norwegian tent is $1200, 9.8 lbs.  Out of consideration.

Shoveling snow, my back isnt the best, so I limit hard activity.  A snow cave would do me in.  As they say, hyoh.  Been doing this (snow camping) for over 30-35years.  Learn as you go.

Duane

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Have you looked at TT Scarp 2 with solid inner? I realize it still has some mesh but not a lot. You can add the crossing poles for heavy snow. I believe this is northern california winter? so you can get some big snow if you go real winter as opposed to spring snow camping, as you know.

MSR access 2 might be over your price range but check it out.

Big Agnes copper spur HV2 expedition – on sale at backcountry.com

Which Hilight do you have – the epic (yellow) or the green (nanoshield)?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I have a Fjallraven Abisko Endurance 3.  Its a pretty sweet tunnel.  There is a stronger version, the Keb Endurance.  Its not cheap but its under 7lbs for a 3man with a huge vestibule.  The 2man feels quite a bit smaller but is equally badass and its under 6lbs.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I have not looked at TT much, but did look at some of their 2p offerings that I thought might shed snow better.  I know Eric has modded his.

I’ve looked at most of what you mention.  Also looked at MSR Hubba Hubba NX.

My Hilight is yellow.

Duane

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I don’t know, maybe my sights are set too low for weight and price.  I can wait to later as I get a nice income boost this Spring.

Duane

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

If you do find something else and decide to sell your hilight I might be interested.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thank you Paul.  I would sell cheap so I don’t accumulate too many tents.

Duane

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Here is the tent I use for solo use

It goes on sale all the time

I just consider it too small for 2P but when you take into consideration the weak aussie/kiwi dollars it is in the range you requested

https://www.macpac.com.au/equipment/tents/minaret-hiking-tent/114087.html?cgid=equipment-tents#start=4

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Edward, size is ok, like others they only list size squared.  2400g/5.29 lbs.

Duane

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I know they are not considered light by US*A standards but they are here, simply because our weather is unpredictable and sometimes extreme and this is considered minimum safe for winter. Unfortunately Rogers tents do not look like they will ever get to the market commercially

That 3-season rating is Autumn/ Winter/ Spring BTW not the US Spring- Summer- Autumn

But I expect changes to product weights with-in a short time, a quantum change every decade or so and it’s been over 10 years since the last big leap sideways

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Researched, drug my feed over the Copper Spur Expedition from EMS and racking up my credit card with non-vintage stove purchases, code expired by the time I figured it might be my best option, configuration I liked and would stand up to snow if I get in a short storm again.  EMS does not have a toll free # so can’t call on their nickel.

Thank you everyone for your help, brings up options I didn’t look at or unaware of.

Duane

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Have you looked at Big Sky International’s Chinook 1 Plus? Section Hiker has a quick review of the tent that’s worth a read: https://sectionhiker.com/big-sky-international-chinook-1plus-tent-review/.

3 lbs, 8 ounces, $499, inner tent dimensions: 91″ long, 39″ peak height, diamond-shaped interior is 36″ x 65″ x 24″.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Have they cleaned up their act?  Last I heard a few years back or more, they weren’t shipping much, long delays if at all, pretty sporadic.

Duane

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Yes. However, their website is a train wreck, so you may want to email or call before purchasing to confirm the configuration you’d like and that it’s in stock. I purchased their Revolution 2 model back in Dec. 2015 and received it 3 weeks later. Fit & finish was perfect.

Edit: I just noticed that there’s one for sale one gear swap for $400. Save $100 and eliminate any possible hiccups dealing with Big Sky. See here: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/fs-big-sky-chinook-1-plus-integral-designs-wedge-msr-dragonfly-cooksystem/.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Ok, BA back on sale, snagged one from Backcountry as REI was out so no getting money back later and EMS had no code.  Free 2 day ship, 35% off.  No reply from BA over what the Copper Spur is being replaced by, they are introducing their own ul tents.  Hate hitting my credit card, but what to do for more space this winter?  Five new tents now in 20 months.

Duane

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Maybe this was already suggested, but how about one of the Seek Outside tipis? Here’s a nice review:

https://bedrockandparadox.com/2015/03/30/the-mid-ive-been-looking-for/

Ps I own this shelter but have not taken it out into the snow.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Duane

I see your list of requirements, but it is missing some really crucial specs – like expected wind velocity, terrain and snow-fall. Without those specs I think you are flailing around in the dark.

IF you want a high mountain tent able to handle storms in the snow, you have a choice of tunnels, geodesic domes, and a train wreck. Pop-ups need NOT apply! Tarps need NOT apply! Geo-domes are effective but heavy and expensive. Good tunnels from Europe, NZ or Au are not cheap but they are very, very reliable. USA mfrs do not make good tunnels as they generally prefer to focus on the Walmart end of the market.

On the other hand, if you can (really) rely on shelter from the wind, then your choices are much wider. You still need to think about snow-fall: any tent with long bendy poles and big spans of fabric will collapse under some snow.

My 2c
    Cheers

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I agree Roger.  The group I used to bp and snow camp has pretty much dispersed, even a couple guys I continued with.  I avoid ridges, high winds since I’m solo with my dog now, if any snowfall, it is light.  So I’m not worried about high winds anymore or tons of snow o/n.   One reason my weight limit was under 5lbs.  I reasoned yesterday that if I push limits a little, I better get a roomier tent w/vestibule or risk  burning my tent down with my stove inside my shelter.  What I ordered has a fly, so later in the Spring I can leave that at home to shave weight.  Thanks again for input.

Duane

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Kat, thank you for the link/input, that looks simple to setup.  I had a few bad nights with my floorless, Squall TT.  Also saw some friends in Yosemite at New Year’s time get heavy condensation with their teepee style shelter.  May vary with setup site.

Duane

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools