Topic

Smartwater Bottle Cap Retainer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Smartwater Bottle Cap Retainer

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    DONALD J B
    Spectator

@djb_rh

Used my laser cutter to make the tether seen above. What’s not completely clear is that the cap can spin independent of the tether (I tightened the self-locking nut on top then backed it off a hair).  Seems to work great.  I designed a custom cap and had some sampled 3D printed that will be here on Friday that streamline that top a LOT.  No more nut and bolt, just a mushroom of plastic on top.  Works just like the Nalgene bottle caps, but should work for any soda bottle depending on the size of the ring under the cap, anyway.  And since that part is laser cut out of pretty cheap material, that part is easy to change for other bottles, too.  And this should still work perfectly with the backpack shoulder strap clip from Zpacks.

It’s also easy to transfer between bottles.  To install, you basically just remove your cap and cut off the safety-ring that is left below it.  Then you just insert the bottle through the hole of the tether and work it over the ring below the threads. Comes off with a little work, but won’t come off too easily.

–Donnie

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Does it leak?

DONALD J B
    Spectator

@djb_rh

Nope.  i didn’t *really* care if it did since this was just to see if the tether was strong enough and seemed like it would work, because the next step is a cap that’s one piece again.

But I flipped it over full and squeezed pretty good.  Nothing.  Left it sitting full laying on its side in my truck for a few hours.  Nothing. So it *is* safe to do it this way.  I used an aluminum screw since I did plan to drink from it and didn’t want to have to worry about corrosion inside, though.

–Donnie

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Does it weigh more than a spare cap?

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Losing a cap in the woods isn’t LNT.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Well I’m not asking for myself, obviously,lol.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

My solution for not losing Smartwater bottle caps costs $1.49 at stores everywhere, transfers from bottle to bottle with a couple of twists, doesn’t leak under normal use, and comes with 700 ml of free water:

— Rex

David Caudwell
    BPL Member

@dcinbc

Locale: Gulf Islands, Coastal BC

I use the same: sports cap lids from either Smart Water or Life Water bottles. These can also be used to back-flush any of the Sawyer filters in the field.

DONALD J B
    Spectator

@djb_rh

I haven’t weighed it yet, but should be similar or less than that of a spare cap once I have a new cap made and get rid of the nut/bolt.

Pros:

• Can’t lose it
    • Can’t drop it and get it dirty
    • Provides point to tether
    • don’t need to remember a spare

Cons:

• extra weight
    • costs money

There are other ways to tether the bottle in your pack, but a small caribiner to this tether should be something you can easily one-hand. This feature is important to me as I like to be able to bend over without worrying about dumping my water bottles on the ground, and these things don’t want to stay in the pocket of a pack when full since they’re so slick (Smartwater bottles, that is).

–Donnie

Paul French
    BPL Member

@ssghawk

Locale: Northern Texas

Donnie,

Congratulation on your creativity. Keep up the good work. You have convinced he that my minimalist

mesh water bottle pocket idea needs to be shelved.

Paul

DONALD J B
    Spectator

@djb_rh

Finally got another iteration done:

Untitled

So that’s the 3D printed cap along with an HDPE retainer. Can’t cut HDPE with the laser because it melts it too easily, but I have a CNC router working now and I cut it with that. Will be testing this iteration now.

The cap shown by Rex a couple posts up is a reasonable solution as well, but it’s heavier and you can still drop it and get it dirty while you remove it completely to fill your bottle. Also doesn’t flow as much water when pouring, and I like to drink fast.  :)

–Donnie

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

My solution is to carry a spare bottle cap in my repair kit. This is a really good solution, because it means that I have never lost a bottle cap in the field (since I have a spare and Murphy gives up).

Actually, a lot of drink bottle have a similar arrangement, although usually for bigger lids.

Cheers

DONALD J B
    Spectator

@djb_rh

Yes, this design is stolen directly from Nalgene (among others). I actually ran into someone who worked on Nalgene’s design and it turns out they use a special process to press and “weld” their cap nub through the tether.

That said, I took a spare cap to Nepal and thus did not need it. I’d probably STILL take a spare even with my setup above because anything can happen.

What I also like about my solution is it provides a very easy tether point, too, to help keep from losing the entire bottle.

–Donnie

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I’d probably STILL take a spare even with my setup
    I do too. :)

Cheers

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Excellent idea Donald – do you plan to sell the CNC HDPE version in the future?

DONALD J B
    Spectator

@djb_rh

I would if I thought there was interest, but I’m not sure there is.  For now I still need to test it, though.  The first version was a modified acrylic and it lasted a full week of pretty hard use before it snapped.

–Donnie

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I would definitely not use an acrylic. I suggest you try 1.5 – 2.0 mm polyethylene. eBay is your friend.

Cheers

DONALD J B
    Spectator

@djb_rh

Well, like I said, that was the first one and it was modified acrylic.  It’s actually pretty neat stuff, but yeah, didn’t quite work.  But the HDPE seems to be holding up, which is basically what you’re suggesting (exept that’s really thick and wouldn’t bend well at all).

–Donnie

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Either go thinner, or try a heat gun GENTLY to get it into shape.

Cheers

DONALD J B
    Spectator

@djb_rh

I’m using HDPE for the latest version, which is high density polyethylene. It’s about 0.06” thick sheet.  Are you suggesting something different?  This bends fine, no heat required.

—Donnie

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Seems exactly right to me.

Cheers

DONALD J B
    Spectator

@djb_rh

I think I found the Achilles heel.  I’m not sure there’s a material you can 3D print that’s not going to come out much more brittle overall than the injection molded caps.  I dropped my nearly full bottle from about 4′ onto concrete.  It landed right on the cap.  The 3D printed cap shattered.

I haven’t done any more testing, but I’d guess the original cap handles that situation most of the time without breaking.

That’s not enough to make me not use my solution on a backpacking trip, but I’d definitely carry a spare (likely original) cap. But it probably is enough to make me not bother pursuing selling any of these. There’s no way it’s worthwhile to try to injection mold (my understanding is the initial investment would be $10k or more).  But it was a fun learning project and I got some stuff I can use out of it, which was all I really hoped for.

–Donnie

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

The original bottle caps are some sort of injection-molded PE or harder PE blend. They do not shatter.
    I have impact-tested a few like this: very robust. Typically a 4 m drop onto hard rock with a 1.25 L PET rocket-based bottle full of water. Zero failures.

Cheers

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools