Topic

slim fitting poly base layer for slim guy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) slim fitting poly base layer for slim guy?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I am skinny and every slim fitting base layer I’ve tried on has been a more relaxed average fit while they look form fitting on the broader chested models I see on the websites. I would like a 100% polyester ideally no spandex knit polyester shirt that is very form fitting for a skinny guy. I have been doing a lot of packrafting lately and it’s nice having something with a next to skin fit so you don’t have excess material sagging when wet.

Does something like this exist? I kind of doubt it because it would not fit a majority of the male population and wouldn’t sell well. I normally wear a size small in knit shirts. I am 5’10 150 lbs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How about Asian sizes?

Montbell seems to have them all the time.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

How about Patagonia Capilene baselayer? The site description lists them as 100% recycled polyester. The 2017 stock should be on sale soon.

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

What about trying ‘compression’ layers?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You may look at European companies like Rab.  They tend to be slim fitting.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Try out a size small 32 Degree Heat long undie bottoms from Costco. They fit very close to the skin and weight 4.5 oz. I’m 170lb, 5″8″ and 34″ and they are a snug but fine fit. The mediums are a little more loose, but still tight. And they are very inexpensive. Only issue is Costco usually pulls them from the stores during summer time.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I’m 145 6″1′ and the closest I have found is smart wool NTS. Patagonia capilene is generally too baggy, but their heavy cap 4 stuff is pretty slim.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Agree with Patagonia being quite loose on the torso, but still often tight around the shoulders. In Japan we have Asian size Patagonia, but that also comes with shorter sleeves (I’m 6’1″).

Rab is a good suggestion, as well as shirts marketed or designed/fitted for runners. They’ll often be slimmer fitting if you go to a more focused running shop.

North Face Japan for example has normal fitting hiking gear, but their trail running shirts are much slimmer.

Perhaps see what Salomon or other mountain running brands have to offer?

Hope you find what you need.

CARLOS C.
    BPL Member

@lamboy

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I echo the costco base layers are very slim.

Besides the ones already listed have you looked at Sitka ? I can post some pics when I get back in town in a couple weeks showing my bases. I’m on the slimmer side also.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Arc’teryx stuff can run slim.  I’m 5’10”, 150 also, except really I’m like 185.  Some of their “Endorphin” stuff especially looks like its holding on for dear life when I put it on.  When you can see your belly button through fleece is when you need to put the pipe down, and slowly back away. Although I have figured out that high heels and a long pendant necklace lessens this effect.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools