Topic

Sleeping Bag or TarpTent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping Bag or TarpTent?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

I’m thinking about putting up a second thread on the shelter. Less than $300, need it to be tall enough to sit up in comfortably (gonna use my hiking pole after classes today to get the measurement for that) because I’ll carry extra weight for the comfort factor of sitting in my tent while waiting for rain or what have you. That SMD Scout looks promising with the Carbon poles. Also curious if hiking poles are possible but based on the photos on the site it doesn’t look it. I’ll look for more details later when I actually have the money for it! Up next is replacing my bear keg (~3lb) with an Ursack for when I’m in the Western Peaks (sadly bear keg is required if I’m in the Eastern Peaks of the ADKs). Should be able to do that really quick for a trip 2 or 3 days long in late March early April and just carry the heavier tent. I’m not “ultralight” per se I just feel I shouldn’t carry more than I need. My first trip my ruck weighed 50 pounds my second trip my ruck weighed 35. If I can get that down to 30 with food and water (3-5 days) I’ll be happy enough with my kit.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

yes, you can use hiking poles instead of the poles( Aluminum or Carbon Fiber) they also sell separately.

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

^ I think that’s a solid goal. For all of the kvetching on here about pack weight (which I do plenty of…I’ve been spending all morning looking at cuben tarps), I’ve usually found that, in practice, I don’t really notice the pack all that much at 30lbs or less. (Assuming a good pack.)

For the price range you’re talking about, you’ve got a ton of really good options for when start looking for a new shelter.

Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

Good to know on the hiking poles thank you.

Agreed on the pack weight. I’m all for getting the weight down but I have other hobbies and I’m a young buck at 19. Not crazy important to get a starting weight of 10 pounds ya know? If starting weight is 15-20 pounds I’m happy. This whole experience has taught me one thing though…Water weighs way more than I thought it would when it’s on your back!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Nathan, here is a link that  I put together for new people trying to get their pack weight down GENERAL NEWBIE HELP .There are lots of articles, videos and how to’s on finding little containers ect. for repackaging several of the links are on how to do it cheap, it doesn’t have to be expensive at all, you learn what you don’t need and leaving things you don’t need out can drop a lot of weight.

For some reason in my newbie help link the Oregon Field Guide Ultralight Hiking video link is down so if you want to watch it(it is worth watching) HERE is another link for you so you can( it starts 8 min 30 sec. into the episode) HERE is Lint’s blog.

Here are a few more articles

this one is several pages of gear lists for different trails, weather and parts of the country and world

Archive | Lightweight Hiking Gear Lists .

. Simply Start Lightweight Backpacking .

. I’m ready to start! .

. I’ve done some lightening, I want to take it to the next level .

. I’m packing pretty darned light, just looking for some tips to shave those last few grams .

. Don’t just Focus on a Backpacking Gear List .

Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

Awesome will definitely take a look in a bit. Thanks! Love the resources available on this forum. Helped me get down to the 30 lb weight now just gotta go that extra little bit. Doing it with a college budget can be tough at times though! ?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

. BARGAIN DOWN JACKET and BARGAIN DOWN PARKA or bargain trekking poles Review: Cascade Mountain Tech Quick Lock Trekking Poles | Shockingly awesome performance for $30 . Not that you are looking for these items but plenty of lightweight items can be had for very good prices.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools