Topic

Sleeping Bag or TarpTent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping Bag or TarpTent?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

Right now I’m using a 4lb 14oz synthetic bag I got from WalMart rated for 0*. I really don’t need that low of a temperature rating for spring, summer, and early fall out in the ADKs, so I’m looking for a lighter bag. The REI Flash and REI Igneo both look incredibly promising, 1lb 13oz on the Igneo and it’s a 20* bag. As for shelter I either use a custom hammock kit, 3lb 8oz, or an Alps Mountaineering Mystique, 4lb 2oz trail weight. I could get that down to around 1lb 6oz with a Tarptent Protrail. The Protrail will save me between 2 and 3 pounds. The bag will be around $40 less than the Protrail, and will save me roughly 3 pounds. I’m trying to decide which should be changed out first.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Both will slash weight, but replacing the bag will make a much bigger difference than the shelter in bulk/packing volume.

Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

Very true that synthetic Walmart bag barely fits in my Kelty Redstone 70L ruck. Didn’t even consider space savings on that! Bag it is (:

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

If you have the money for the protrail why not get an Enlightened Equipment quilt?

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Nice 20 degree quilt from EE on Massdrop right now. Approximately $200. 21 ounces for a long.

Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

Nothing against quilt guys but I just toss and turn too much in my sleep for a quilt, plus I like having the hood for when the temp gets too low.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

FWIW, I’m a mega toss-n-turn type and find quilts MUCH better in that regard.

Granted, deep into YMMV territory. ;^)

Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

Would be a much easier decision if I just had one to test! May say screw it and get the one off Massdrop and just sell it if it doesn’t pass the backyard test :D

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

EE recommends a wider quilt if you toss and turn a lot. But if you’re a lean guy it’s likely not an issue.

Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

Awesome good to know. Thanks!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I recommend the sleeping bag over the tarp tent.  I would however either go the quilt route or wait on a Marmot Helium on gear swap.  They show up around $200 every so often in really good condition.

A good down bag will last 10-15 years (or more) and I suspect the tarptent would last more like 5-10 years.

I am not a huge fan of the ProTrail design either so that may be skewing my thinking. I haven’t used it myself, but I did use its predicessor the Contrail a few times years ago.   Another good deal is the SMD Skyscape Scout.   Though not made in the USA and not quite as light, it is cheaper, should be more waterproof and can be seam taped.  It’s a great “entry level” UL shelter.  I don’t have first hand experience with the design but it might be better in the wind than the ProTrail.

Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

I use a 14 foot tarp with doors I made for my 11 foot hammock when I’m hammocking and after making that I’m tempted to just make my own tarp tent. No smaller than I’m comfortable with no bigger than I need. Also cuts the cost almost in half on that upgrade. I think I’m going to go with the Massdrop Quilt ($219). It’s 20* 850fp DownTek down, 78″ long, 19.98 oz. Definitely not bad for the money, and definitely worth cutting out that 4 lb 14 oz bag!

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Bob said:

FWIW, I’m a mega toss-n-turn type and find quilts MUCH better in that regard.

+1. You should definitely try a quilt before drawing conclusions about it. I also toss and turn and much prefer a quilt. With a sleeping bag you are sleeping *in* it but with a quilt you are sleeping *under* it, more like sleeping under a quilt or blanket on your bed at home. Especially if you use the pad attachment straps, the quilt stays in place while you roll around underneath it, as opposed to being in a where it tends to roll with you and you end up all tangled up in it.

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

It seems like you’re pretty well decided at this point, but I like replying to things, so I’ll throw my hat in the ring for Team Sleeping Bag- can’t really comment on either of those models, but REI generally makes good stuff and the weight/bulk (more importantly, the bulk part).

I have a few ALPS tents, one that I used a few times as my first tent, and one that I use if I’m camping with someone. They’re solid tents at a good price, with the tradeoff that the weight is a bit more than some of its peers, but the difference isn’t that extreme among comparable double-wall shelters until you get into the really expensive stuff like the Fly Creek series, etc.

Also, as a former Contrail owner, I have to say I wasn’t a huge fan, and assume I wouldn’t be a fan of the Protrail either. (And, in fact, may have said “I’m going to set this thing on fire” at one point…)(…or several points.) I found the single body of the tent to be difficult to pack up, and, in sandy soil in a wet climate (PNW), it picked up a ton of dirt when wet that was a pain to shake off. I’m also not a huge fan of front-entry tents in general, and the pole in the door didn’t make things any easier. That said, I do think that it’s a very robust shelter at a very competitive weight, and notwithstanding the fact that I didn’t like it, I think it’s a well-designed piece of kit.

Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

About to place the order just debating between the 35* or 20*.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

20 +1

Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

Agreed the ALPs tents are great for the money. Also have to agree with the criticisms on the Protrail. I may just design my own when the time comes.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

No doubt Alps tents are decent products, but there are plenty of non-Cuben options from SMD, MLD, TarpTent, LightHeart Gear etc etc that are a LOT lighter in weight (about half!) for not much more cost.

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

Bob, I don’t disagree in general and they’re not a default recommendation for me by any means. (My vote in that general class goes to the Gatewood/Serenity combo for price, weight, and modularity, although I’m a tiny tarp/bivy guy these days.) My comments to the OP were in the context of his original question, since he already has it and “free” is cheapest of all. Assuming that funds aren’t unlimited, replacing the tent wouldn’t be a screaming priority for me. A 1P ALPS is reasonably comparable in general function to, say, an MSR Hubba (loose comparison here as FS DW tents- the designs are obviously pretty different), but at half the price and a pound heaver (maybe a bit more now, I know MSR redid them, but I don’t really pay that much attention).

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

Hey Nathan- I just sent you a PM re: a cheap Contrail I spotted elsewhere (not affiliated with sale). Not sure what your budget is, but if there’s room for a little stretch, you can drop a fair amount of pack weight between that and the new bag. (Notwithstanding the fact that I did just mention wanting to set mine on fire a few posts up.)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Was the Contrail the tarptent that alot of people have misting through the walls?

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

John- That comes up reasonably frequently as a complaint, but I’d say it’s usually misdirected. What’s usually happening is that there’s a fair bit of condensation buildup in the tent (which is an occupational hazard of most single-wall tents), which then gets knocked onto the user if it’s raining. I’m not really sure the source of the water makes all that much difference when you’re getting water drops on your forehead while you’re trying to sleep, but I do think that there’s ultimately a functional/protective difference between having an annoying condensation issue and having the elements actually pass through your shelter.

FWIW, I’ve had that happen to me even with an open tarp, depending on where/how I’ve pitched it and what the conditions are like.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Agreed, I’ve had serious misting issues with my Duomid as well and it always goes back to the issue of humidity differential… specifically, the lack thereof. Doesn’t stop people from blaming low hydrostatic head, however.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I agree that a bag is the first thing to replace and Brad’s suggestion of the SMD SKYSCAPE SCOUT although not the lightest at 34oz would cut several pounds off of your tent weight and is only $125

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools