Topic

SHR: To Fish or Not to Fish

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara SHR: To Fish or Not to Fish

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Preparing for a Sierra High Route thru hike in a few weeks…

Does the rod come with me?

Yes!

The SHR takes backcountry angling to a new level.

I’d rather carry a few ounces of tenkara gear for nothing than be struck by the perfect fishing opportunity and not be able to take it.

And the beauty of tenkara: 9’3″ Iwana is 2 ounces.

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

Just wrapping up a week at Henry’s Fork, here.

I’ve never gone the tenkara route, but for less than five ounces, that’s a no-brainer. I bet those mountain fish aren’t epicures, way up there.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I had trouble casting a fly far enough out into a lake, especially when there was wind, to get good results. The most successful fisherpersons that I’ve seen in the Sierra used a weighted line/spoon to cast WAY out and then slowly reel in. One guy I met on the way in to a lake was collecting grasshoppers. At the lake, he uses a floater and weight to cast way out with the grasshopper and then just left the pole on a rock. Half an hour later he’d come back and have a fish on the line. Not very sporting. But then he shared his fish with me that night. I definitely approved.

I grew up fly fishing on rivers, so lake fishing is an unknown to me. You probably know all this or have better skills. I suppose casting distance with a Tenkara takes skill.

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

on THAT route i reckn i’d b too tired to fish by days’ end. but Boy how nice to eat a couple 8″ brookies & what great fuel for the next days miles. have a gr8 hike Wisner & pls post some pix.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Yes. Take the fishing gear and plan the time into the route itinerary.

There are few things tastier than fresh caught brook trout in the backcountry.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

It’s not the fishing gear but the fry pan that will add weight (but well worth it)!

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The fry pan could serve also as the bowl/plate.  There have been some titanium wire grills sold on BPL over the years that serve for broiling steaks and fish over coals. My grill is from Zia Fabrications:

http://www.qiwiz.net/ZiaGrills2014.html

and there is the butter or olive oil…

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

As wonderful as fried trout is, I will likely poach and/or do fish soup to keep the mess and gear to a minimum.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Absolutely bring the gear! You’ll pass by so many prime opportunities it would be torture not to. Plus, it will give you a reason to slow down and spend time at spots you may otherwise just walk past. I’m jealous. Enjoy!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools