Topic

Resupply Kings Canyon October?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Resupply Kings Canyon October?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Locale: www.smarterbackpacking.com; www.fjaderlatt.se

I am planning a hike from Mammoth to Lone Pine, starting October 3. Does anyone know of a resupply place or someone that can arrange for me to pick up some food in Kings Canyon NP. Preferably at Road’s End. Most places seem to be closed. Muir Trail Ranch for instance. I will probably resupply in Vermillion, but that is too close to the start. Resupplying for almost two weeks there will give me a heavier pack than I wish for. But it seems to be the remaining option.

Jorgen

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Someone does resupply at Kearsage Pass.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

You can send packages to the Mount Williamson Hotel in Independence.  You’ll have to hike out over Kearsarge Pass to the Onion Valley trailhead. They have different packages; the one I’ve used is where they’ll pick you up at Onion Valley, bring you back to the hotel and provide free washing of your clothes.  The hike over Kearsarge Pass is beautiful, well worth the hike.  At one time Strider(Owner) would provide resupply service to Kearsarge Pass, but the last I heard the USFS would not renew her permit.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

The Ranger Station at Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon NP will hold packages for you even late in the season. The Visitor center will close soon.

It is six miles on the road from the trail head at Road’s End to the Ranger Station; during the summer it’s not very hard to hitch a ride but possibly difficult in October. I was there last week and there were not a lot of people. So you’re looking at walking the twelve miles out and back.

I’d call the Cedar Grove Visitor Center before they close for the season probably later this week.

(559) 565-3793

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Excellent, I will check with them. I have already e-mailed the Cedar Grove Lodge. Thanks.

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Thanks. I am trying to avoid resupplying on the east side, since that is out of my way. I plan to hike down through Kings Canyon NP on a more westerly route than the JMT, in order to see some big trees. The trail passes right by Road’s End.

David T
    BPL Member

@davetee

I’m sure you are aware, but be prepared for changeable conditions in the Sierra in October. It can be beautiful (though colder to cold up high and at night), and the first real storms can happen. If you are doing a long hike (which it sounds like you are), try to get a weather update or two along the way somewhere. Every year you hear of folks up in bad conditions, or bailing over random passes to get down to Owens Valley.

Likely all will be fine, but October can be very different than September in the High Sierra.

Also, have a great trip! (And post lots of pictures.)

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

David T Thank you David, yes I did a similar hike last year (you can read about it here https://backpackinglight.com/thru-hiking-john-muir-trail-fall-johansson/) and ran into some snow. I am equipped for that and have scouted possible bail out routes along the way.

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Thanks Pedestrian, I immediately checked with the park and they close everything on September 24, do not accept any mail. My hope now is for Cedar Grove Lodge, whom I have e-mailed and not received a reply. Since I e-mailed Wuksachi Lodge a week or more ago, still without reply, I am a bit hesitant about Cedar Grove as well, since those places seem to share the same domain (delawarenorth).

Interestingly enough, British backpacking legend Chris Townsend is ten days ahead of me on a very similar route and is also looking for a possible resupply south of Vermillion. He is continuing to Death Valley and the Panamints though, I will finish in Lone Pine.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

If it helps at all I was told by a very helpful person at the Visitor Center that they (or the Ranger Station) prefer packages dropped off in person.

You could stop by Cedar Grove in person and drop off your resupply package at the Ranger Station or if you know some one close by (say in the Fresno area), you could mail your package to them and have them drop it off for you.

They asked to package the food etc separately from fuel and batteries and label each clearly with your name and approximate date of pick up.

The Ranger Station is of course open year round but I don’t know their exact hours of operation.

David T
    BPL Member

@davetee

Jorgen,

I’d say you clearly know what you are doing!

Have a great trip, be safe, and take lots of pictures!

Dave

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Locale: CA Central Valley

I am actually in the area so if I can assist let me know and depending on the day I might be able to meet you to drop off.

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Sean,

that sounds absolutely perfect. Please e-mail me at [email protected].

Jorgen

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools