Topic

Question for Sony RX100 owners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question for Sony RX100 owners

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Ty R
    Spectator

@mega97

How do you tote your Sony RX100 or similarly sized camera?

I previously used a Mountain Laurel Designs shoulder strap mounted bag but I no longer see them on their website. I’d appreciate any recommendations for something that offers ease of access and a modest amount of weather/dust protection.

TIA

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I like my camera attached to my body so it is still with me even when I am not with the pack.

For my RX100VI, I have been using OptechUSA D Micro Pouch + OptechUSA Compact Sling.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

My RX100 rides in a Sea To Summit zippered neoprene case in one of my hipbelt pockets. I don’t like stuff attached to shoulder straps…

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

Lowepro Dashpoint 10, strap-mounted. While walking in nice weather the camera is usually in my shirt pocket, though.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I second the Lowepro Dashpoint 10. I attach it to my pack shoulder strap, but the design allows one to also attach it to a waist belt. Price is decent on Amazon.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

RX100 III and similar cameras get carried in a zippered shoulder strap pocket with water resistant zipper – quickest and most convenient secure location for a camera while hiking IMHO. Small heavy items like pocket cameras on the shoulder strap also help counter some of the weight of the main backpack. While carrying a camera in a hip belt pocket works well too, I prefer having free space on the sides for swinging the arms and trekking poles.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

On my shoulder strap with a peak designs capture.  Only drawback is the part that attaches to the camera tripod mount must be removed to swap batteries.  Biggest plus is ease of access.  When it rains the camera goes into a ziplock in a hipbelt pocket.

Ty R
    Spectator

@mega97

For those using the Lowepro Dashpoint 10, I’ve read many reviews indicating that it was too small for the RX100iv. In your experience the size has been accommodating and provides easy access?

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

I have the RX100ii, and if you look at camerasize.com you will see it is the same size as the RX100iv. My Dashpoint 10 is more than large enough for my RX100ii and in fact also holds a couple of extra batteries, SD cards, and a cleaning cloth. I think you’ll be fine. When not carrying a camera in it, the case also works well for snacks, chapstick, sunscreen, etc.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

What’s the Dashpoint 10 weigh?

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Mine weighs 2 oz. There are a few small nylon tabs that could be trimmed, but I haven’t gone that far.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Thanks Paul… the Sea To Summit Size Medium neoprene pouch goes 1.5 oz on my scale.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have had the RX100 ver 1 and now am using the RX100 ver 3.

I carry mine on my MLD hip belt pocket…on my MLD Exodus backpacking, left side/left hip belt.

Often, I will leave the little zippered pocket open/unzipped.

I find that the opening is small enough to keep the camera from falling out and easy enough for me to reach down and grab it with one hand.

Tony

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My RX100 m1 is almost 7 years old and has taken over 10,000 pictures. I carry it in my hiking shorts pocket (5” Patagonia Baggies), which have more than ample space, or in my trousers pocket when not wearing shorts. Dual-purpose, zero extra weight, zero extra cost. It has survived falls and other abuses such as banging against boulders and squeezing through slot canyons. I put it in my pack in heavy rain and water crossings.

Larry Swearingen
    BPL Member

@larry_swearingen

Locale: NE Indiana

I have the RX100 m3, the first one with an Electronic Popup View finder.

I have a very hard time seeing the monitor screen in bright sunlight so a viewfinder

is mandatory for me at least. I also got a stick on lens filter adapter so I could use

a lens cap to protect the front from damage and also us a Circular Polarizing Filter.

I carry it in a Gossamer gear fanny pack with the bag in front.

Larry S

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

ZPacks shoulder pouch for my RX100V.  I wear a water bottle on one shoulder so the camera on the other shoulder (10.5 oz) helps to counterbalance the weight.  It’s easy to grab one handed even with trekking poles and grab video/photos.  I also keep a stic pic on it for quick selfie shots.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

My RX100 m1 is almost 7 years old and has taken over 10,000 pictures.

Nick, My MkI is not as old as yours… question for you, has yours developed dust spots? Have you ever needed to have it cleaned?

Thx.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have an RX100 m2 that developed dust spots.  I basically followed this video to clean it and they went away.  The flash died on my m2, but that was the model with the hot shoe and I had purchased the Sony external flash so it’s still pretty useful.  I also have the M5 and the M2 is now my backpacking camera.

Try cleaning your m1 using the technique described…I don’t believe you can hurt anything.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Thanks Kevin. I don’t have any dust spots (yet) but I’ve bookmarked the video. Much appreciated.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

When it happened to me and the dust spots appeared a lot of the posts suggested that you don’t keep the RX100 in your pocket where it can easily pick up lint.  That’s one of the main draws of that camera for me – that I CAN keep it in my pocket.  It’s why, when the flash died on my M2, I didn’t hesitate to buy the M5.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Nick, My MkI is not as old as yours… question for you, has yours developed dust spots? Have you ever needed to have it cleaned?

No dust. Keep in mind that most of my hiking is deserts, an environment of dirt, dust, and wind. Maybe I’ve been lucky? I don’t baby the camera either. I did add an aftermarket UV filter to protect the lens, but my understanding is the dust gets in through the zoom mechanism.

You can see the paint is worn off in spots from use. I bought a kit (the red stuff) to protect the camera body and it make the camera a whole lot less slippery.

The cover for the USB no longer stays locked in place. But I rarely use a cable. I remove the memory card and put it a slot in my MacBook Pro for transferring photos.

The camera is tough! A couple years ago I was hiking with Doug Ide and Peter Vacco. We were walking down a steep, steep dirt road to where my SUV was parked. The road was loose dirt, sand, and rocks. It was such a crappy road that my Expedition couldn’t make it up the road, which is why we were walking down it at the end of our trip. On a particularly slippery section (sand on top of bedrock), I decided to run down and defy gravity — as you can guess, a 67 year old man shouldn’t be running down these kinds of hills — and I executed a spectacular crash and roll. Oh, and my camera was in my pocket. When I got home the flash wouldn’t pop up because the edge of the case was crushed in from the impact. A little surgery with small flat head screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers got the flash to work again. The repair is ugly but functional. No other damage was done.

The RX100 takes better quality pictures than my Sony A6000 with the kit lens. I don’t use the A6000 for backpacking because of the weight and bulk.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Thanks Nick. I love honest wear on good gear, and always enjoy seeing the “new” fade from a well liked item.

I added Sony’s little aftermarket grip to mine. I believe it works on the RX series up through the MKIII. I think it, or a home remedy like yours, is a critical “fix” to this camera, and think it’s rather silly the little “grip” is not built into the camera body.

BUT, the MKI is a GREAT camera, and like you I found it takes better photo than my larger sensor micro 4/3rds with kit lens. There is no other P&S that interests me.

The beauty of the MKI version is its price and weight. It’s the lightest of its kind. For me, my only wish is that the wide angle started at 24mm rather than 28mm. Otherwise I would find it close to perfect. But it’s no deal breaker.

I’m going to look into an aftermarket UV filter…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I wish mine had a view finder. Before the RX100 I used a Cannon SD1200IS, which has a view finder and is much smaller and lighter. It takes great pictures too.  But let’s face it, some smart phones take great pictures as a P&S, and becomes a multi use piece of gear for many hikers, although I won’t be taking this kind of technology into the wilderness for philosophical reasons.

Every year my wife offers to buy me the latest RX100, but I am loath to replace something that works for an incremental improvement, which is the bane of Americans — buying stuff they don’t need and entering retirement with insufficient wealth. When (or if) mine dies, assuming I outlive the camera, I’ll probably get a newer RX100 with a view finder.

When I got the camera, I considered the after market grip, passing on it because it added extra weight and bulk. The red appliqués I added have a leathery feel and make the camera more secure to hold. Plus the bright color make it less likely for me to misplace it or accidentally leave it in a campsite or on a rock.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

I inadvertently said I use a size Medium Sea To Summit neoprene pouch for my RX100… I actually use the size Small. Fits the camera to perfection.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

The Lowepro Newport 10 is just big enough for even the VI and has a nice zip pocket on the front that can hold two or three spare batteries.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools