Topic

Possibly New Backpack Design?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Possibly New Backpack Design?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jameson T
    BPL Member

@jamesontisch36

Long story short, I have been thinking of having SWD make me a custom backpack. During the process of thinking over different custom features/options my mind started to wander about more obscure backpack designs which got me thinking…has anyone used/seen a pack that is a roll top front loading design? This would be similar to a roll top duffel bag almost.

My thinking was that you have the packing ease and efficiency of a panel loader but dont have to worry about zipper failure – which seems to be one of the biggest concerns with most panel loaders.

My full design would basically have the roll top panel loader – possibly with a drawcord opening at the top depending on the size of the roll top – along with probably two front compression straps (over the roll top), some side compression straps, upper mesh pockets, lower slanted forward water bottle pockets below the mesh pockets.

Does this design seem practical at all or am I just crazy? I would love to hear your thoughts on if this has been done before or if this could be improved upon.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

It’s a great idea that I’ve considered too, but have yet to make a prototype. It would make it easier to extract your quilt during the day if it needed to be dried in the sun. Two downsides would be added weight due to more material in the roll top closure (larger diameter opening) and added complexity to affix a front pocket (optional). Also, the Nylofume bags that I prefer as a liner would not work well as they are tall and slender, rather than short and broad.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Seek Outside has been doing roll top bags that have a vertical zipper option that runs nearly down the length of the bag offset to the side of the front. I can’t find a great picture, but this will give you an idea. The zipper is behind that vertical flap:

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I love the creative thinking! Though it does sound like a lot of fabric and like it would make a front pocket impossible.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I have a Seek Outside Revolution 6,300 with a roll top, no zipper. I could have gotten the SO Goshawk, which is pictured above, and has a vertical zipper but eventually decided I didn’t want one. Glad I did as the main bag with its X-Pac material, is waterproof and the contents will stay dry.  That’s comforting.

I have easy access to the Talon on the back, a top lid, and two large pockets on their belt. No need to be unzipping and zipping the pack to get at things I need.

Their SO side pockets ARE angled forward and massive. The angle allows for easy access in and out and each pocket can fit two Gatorade bottles.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

ZPacks Arc Zip has a roll-top and a front loading zip.

Jameson T
    BPL Member

@jamesontisch36

Lester – I agree weight is a concern. I have had some idea about a detachable or floating front pocket but ultimately I think I would go with upper side mesh pockets with lower bottle pockets. You could also go with a bottom pocket ala Palante Packs. I would love to see a prototype if you ever make one – you have done some great work. I think with tall upper side pockets you would still gain external storage and then you would have space to have water bottle pockets underneath similar to the packs below.

Phillip/Matthew – Maybe I did not explain correctly. I can try to sketch an example later, but the pack would not have any zippers. The front panel would have a large opening roll top similar to this Mountainsmith duffel bag below. The opening would not have to be quite as large though. So imagine instead of a large panel that you unzip to open, instead you would just unroll the roll top that would be on the front of the pack. That way you are able to still keep a waterproof pack, it doesn’t have zippers (potential failure point), and easy loading/unloading since you can access the enter bag similar to the Arc Zip.

It seems that roll tops with zipper access is fairly popular. I’ve also seen Dave C. make a pack with a vertical zipper down the side near the back panel. Another out of the box panel loading design is THIS one made by Chris Zimmer some years back.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Okay, I get what you are after now. I think the downsides are that it would require a lot of material to create a roll closure of that size, and you would need a pretty stiff lip opening to keep the middle of the roll from being pushed open by the contents. Roll top bags have the contents of the pack setting away from the opening, whereas your contents will constantly be pushing against the opening and struggling to get out. Some compression straps across the opening would definitely help and maybe totally alleviate this concern. If you are a bag stuffer, this design may not work. If you are a very neat bag packer with everything neatly tidied away, maybe it would work.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Whoa. Now I understand what you are going for. It’s an interesting idea.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

That sounds a bit like the original SMD Essence.  Not exactly a roll closure, but a drawstring in the middle of the panel.

https://backpackinglight.com/six_moon_designs_essence_backpack_review/

Jameson T
    BPL Member

@jamesontisch36

This is the first time I’ve seen that pack…very interesting. I had first considered a lid similar to that but with an alternating flap jacket instead of a drawstring closure – ultimately I thought the roll top would keep the pack waterproof which I value.

It definitely seems that horizontal compression is a necessity on front panel loading designs. I particularly like the inner compression straps used on the Zpacks and ULA panel loading packs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools