Topic

Chris Zimmer creation “The Eugeneius Pack”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Chris Zimmer creation “The Eugeneius Pack”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I'm still processing how killer this pack came out, I haven't even received it yet but no have no doubts about it's quality upon arrival. Chris Zimmer is a fabric wizard.

A few months back I contacted Chris with my desire for him to build a "do-it-all" tank of a pack, one capable of carrying more gear than typical UL solo stuff, things such as: 2 quilts, larger shelter, pad(s), extra insulation, larger volume pot and stove kit, and camera gear for myself and my two kids. I figure if I'm going to be sherpa on kiddo oriented trips or toting bulkier camera gear I may as well do it comfortably. The main goals of this pack were long term durability and comfort, as well as flexibility in purpose and ease of access. I shifted my thinking some in the design and sketch phase and went with a panel loading concept roughly inspired by the Arcteryx Miura, which is a unique crag pack that has fillets open allowing uninhibited access to pack contents with an innovative drawbridge enclosure, it's a hybrid between a top loading roll top and a panel loader. Confusing? Pics below show the pack opened up fully. This is the most unique aspect of the pack I think.

Overall weight was far in the back of my head when choosing fabrics, durability resounded loudly. I went with a 500 Denier coated Cordura™ Nylon fabric with Dyneema Reinforcement for the high wear/stress areas (pack bottom, side pockets, backpanel, hipbelt) and XPAC for the main pack body and roll top closure (available from Rockywoods). These obviously aren't the lightest fabric options for a pack, but do provide bomber durability at a relatively low weight.

*Details:

– Removable hipbelt (better serve as a travel pack off trail in the future)
    – Removable internal stays (load transfer and support)
    – Significant compression (control pack load, bulk, and contents)
    – Large easily accesible side pockets for additional storage, water tanking, holding tripod, larger shelter, etc.
    – Wide contoured shoulder straps (comfort, I find wide cushioned straps are more than enough up to about 20lbs.)
    – Overflow storage (rear kangaroo pocket w/ lid and external compression for storing windshell and wet gear)
    – Hipbelts (snacks, necessities)
    – Fully opening pack body w/ interior compression for ease of access to all contents

Chris took my sketches, quacky ideas, and specifications and created a monster, the guy is good. Enough talk, photos below.

Side

side

side pockets

backpanel

back

front

front

snaps

opening

detail

detail

Justin C
    BPL Member

@paintballr4life

Locale: East Coast

Awesome looking pack. I like the fabric choice. I had Chris make me a pack and the shoulder straps are the most comfortable ones I have ever used.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Very cool pack design Eugene! Chris's craftsmanship and sewing packs is second to none. His finished custom packs are better than the manufactures can offer right now.
    Terry

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Definitely, I have a small day pack made by Chris, the construction is spot on. He's really good at what he does.

Chris sent me renderings of the shoulder straps, that is probably the part of the pack I'm most excited about, nice wide and cushioned.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Really nice pack. Like how you have it planned out to be a family gear hauler plus a travel pack. From the above it sounds like UL-ness wasn't a primary goal but what are the specs?

David Ure

@familyguy

Looks like an Arcteryx RT35. Nice pack.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

@ HK,

Forgot about those details.

Pack came in at 2lb. 9oz. with hipbelt pockets and frame, should be able to bring that down a wee bit after trimming the excess compression length, volume is roughly 3400 ci.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

The Eugeneius Pack by the Pack Genius Chris Zimmer.

Eugene, great ideas and design with, as always, great work from Chris.

Very nice indeed.

Party On,

Newton

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Slick pack man, I like em in black.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

Love the pack, some really cool and clever ideas and some slick construction. A fantastic collaboration.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

What a pack! This looks better than any pack I think I've ever seen before. What did this set you back?

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Incredible craftsmanship and innovative ideas. I really like this pack!

It makes me think of my Mountainsmith Ghost, as interpreted by ULA or some other cottage UL company.

David Ure

@familyguy

Except that the Ghost returns in 2012 from Mountainsmith…..

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

except the new ghosts and phantom weigh the same two of the old ones…

David Ure

@familyguy

Well of course they do.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Fantastic.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

More kudos to Chris for another great pack, and to Eugene for handing over to Chris some fantastic ideas for a pack. A wonderful collaboration!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Eugene- nice pack, and you didn't even have to dye it! :)

might of missed it, what's the weight? also what are you looking at for max loads?

Mike

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

@ Mike,

Weight according to Chris came in about 2lb. 9oz. w/ both hipbelts, internal stay, full length cording/compression straps. Max loads? Approx. 25-40lbs. (bulky contents, camera stuff, gear for two, etc.)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

not bad at all :D

David Vo

@sygyzy

Really beautiful pack!

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

All I can say is wow. Awesome pack.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Except that the Ghost returns in 2012 from Mountainsmith….."

Seriously?? How cool. Will it be the old gray Ghost or the newer bronze one?

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

>> What a pack! This looks better than any pack I think I've ever seen before. What did this set you back?

+1 on all of this. Especially the price. Attainable (on par with non-McHale cottage manufacturers)?

Pamela Peng

@wuffruff

This is the sexiest backpack I've ever seen!
    Rugged yet stylish. The features are also fantastic!
    Especially in the UL category where the packs are light, functional but really ugly IMO.
    I love how the entire bag opens up!
    Can you please tell me how much it cost?
    Would you mind letting others make the same/ similar design?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools