Topic

PM is pretty Bad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Not sure why but my PM is horrible.  I dont get notifications if someone send a pM. Only way I can see them is if i click on account then private messages.. I feel like it would be nice to get an email notification when someone sends a PM.. No???  I basically tell everyone not to PM and just email directly because its easier, faster and just more convenient.. is this just how it is, or am i missing some notification setting?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

FYI – I am noticing the same thing.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Dirtbag, Jon – please send me a PM then post here.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Done.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

(That goes to my personal email not my BPL email)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Is it safe to assume y’all have checked your spam/junk folders? Usually when this happens people find their notifications are getting marked as spam.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

If you want to try whitelisting the sender, the PMs come from [email protected]

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I dunno..  i just got a bunch of emails from you.. from this thread.. not pm and not from anyone else though… and i have 56 messages in my pm folder, lol. Check my spam folder every day too.. just to clear any junk out.. anyway.. i am technically challenged so.. is what it is.. just wanted to make sure it wasnt a setting thing i missed.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve had gmail stack up PMs in one thread but not show them to me as new messages after the first one.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Good call, David. Gmail is weird like that. Not a fan. Same with Outlook. They both seems to try to “help” out by organizing stuff for you in unexpected ways.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve always gotten an email alert when someone PMs me, until now. After reading this thread I went and checked my PMs, and there was a PM there I wasn’t alerted to. So it’s not a setting, it’s not my email program, it’s not in my spam/junk folder. it must be something y’all changed recently. As I said, I’ve always gotten an email alert, even when others have written about not receiving them. But I see someone sent me a PM yesterday, and I never received an email alert. fwiw.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

@dirtbag: there is a setting for getting emails for PMs, but it seems to be missing. If you go to ‘My Profile’ (under Account), and then click on ‘Settings’, you’ll see a link for ‘Email’. But when I click on that, there’s nothing there except a ‘Save Changes’ button, so nowhere to actually set email settings. I assume that might be part of the problem.

In doing a bit more looking around, if you click on “Email Newsletter” you get this:

Clicking on ‘Return Home’ takes you to a drip page, not a BPL page.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Lol yes I tried that.. and it said, “email settings saved”. But not sure what settings were saved because it did not give me any options.  I hope I didn’t just screw up what I already had!!

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

I remember getting email notifications from BPL through my personal email (yahoo) that I had messages. As of late I haven’t been receiving a email telling me I have a PM on BPL. Im happy dirtbag posted about this issue…I’m glad I’m not the “only” one lol

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

“You say Im crazy cause you dont think i know what you’ve done…”

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am also not getting notifications of PMs.  Checked inbox and spam folder. My mail is hosted by gmail.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Ryan and the developer are working on the problem. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Thanks dirtbag and Matt for the heads up. Only wanted to let you know after reading this thread that I found the same, and I’m certain two PM’s I sent out before seeing this thread did not generate alerts for the recipients. Matt appreciate it very much if you could let us know when the issue has been resolved.

Sharon M
    BPL Member

@arkheel1

Locale: Central North Carolina

PM notifications still aren’t working.  Any updates on when this issue will be resolved?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

We are continuing to work with the developer. We got an update yesterday:

We have isolated the issue to a specific plugin which is some progress because email handling occurs in several places. “A conflict between two email handlers is causing these messages to not be sent. I’m not clear yet where the issue lies, but I’m continuing to investigate.”

We don’t expect any progress to be made on this until after Thanksgiving. We are sorry for the inconvenience and we are working to resolve it.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

waiting for my PM notifications..

Thom
    BPL Member

@popcornman

Locale: N NY

Looks like you gained weight!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Guess you didn’t get the PM..

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Anything with this? Or is it all moot ?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools