Topic

Philosophy…and inspiration

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Philosophy…and inspiration

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Here are some of our favorite quotes about travel–which apply to hiking as well:

“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.”  from Ibn Battuta, the remarkable Arab who toured the known world 1200 years ago.

“We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Anonymous

“The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” – A great line that explains why large groups always travel slower, by Henry David Thoreau, who supposedly was roughing at Walden Pond.  But his sister brought him fresh baked cookies every day…

“Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” – Seneca

“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien.  And we’ve wandered many times, on our trips.

“It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville–which is just the excuse you need to get off-trail and explore a little bit.

And an all-time favorite from Mark Twain: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.”

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

“If you don’t know where you’re going then you probably won’t end up there.” -Forrest Gump

Skibbs
    Spectator

@skibbs

Locale: Conifer, CO

While not directly related to travel, I relate to this one for solo hikes:

“I love to be alone.  I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.”  -Henry David Thoreau

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Phil Rizzuto – “Hey Yogi I think we’re lost.”

Yogi Berra – “Ya, but we’re making great time!”.

“Reality often astonishes theory.” – Tom Magliozzi, Car Talk

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Paul,

Leave it to you to find some Italian philosophers. Well, maybe Rizzuto can’t be called a philosopher, but he’s Italian and obviously a front man for Yogi.

:)

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Ha! Did not even think about the ethnicity of these wise sages. I can’t help it I guess. ;)

Speaking of wise Italian philosophers, here is another one by a man named Domenic I just quoted the other day:  “Keep your ears and eyes open and your mouth shut”.

My paternal grandfather. I don’t always heed those wise words as much as I should. He was not the first to say those words. But he was the one to say it who has the most impact on me. Good enough.

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

“Some times your ahead, some times your behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself.”

Mary Schmich [i think]

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

“Hiker, there is no trail. You make the trail by hiking”

Roughly adapted from Spanish Poet Antonio Machado: “Caminante, no hay camino. Se hace el camino al andar.”

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”

– Edward Abbey

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

One of my faves—

“Without wilderness, the world’s a cage.”  David Brower.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools