Topic

Patagonia Nano Air Hoody Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Patagonia Nano Air Hoody Review

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Max Neale
    BPL Member

@maximumdragonfly

Locale: Anchorage, AK

Companion forum thread to: Patagonia Nano Air Hoody Review

The Patagonia Nano Air Hoody was released in July 2014 and was the best performing all-purpose active insulation jacket at that time. Does it hold up to the current crop of insulated jackets?

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

On the chest pocket comment, I can fit an iPhone 8 Plus in a case in mine.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

An iPhone 8 in a case is a tight squeeze in mine, but interestingly, it EASILY fits in the lighter Patagonia Nano Air LIGHT hoody…

tom c
    BPL Member

@teepee

FYI, Patagonia has already released the replacement/update – 1.5~1.6oz 30denier shell, and new elastic on the cuffs.  Also the quilting pattern on the sides is changed/gone.

I picked up both in recent weeks.  The new version shell fabric does feel slightly thicker.  It is still extremely breathable; perhaps it has ever so slightly more resistance to my breath blowing through the fabric.

Important note: the fit is WILDLY different.  I am 6’4″ 210# and the old style Large fits well (and XL was huge).  On the new style, I’m firmly an XL.  The new-xl arms are about identical to the old-large, and with the new-xl body slightly roomier than the old-large.  I like the new cuffs better, they are tighter/slimmer.  I notice that the new-version now says ‘slim fit’.

I hope you can update the review to be clear there are multiple options currently on sale.

A couple of the new colors are even on sale!  (edit: looks like the old Hooded version is nearly sold out; they still look to have a bunch of the old non-hooded).

new:

old:

Malcolm H
    BPL Member

@malcolmrh

Cranking out those reviews Max! The insulation durability < shell durability is indeed a bummer. After the first year of this jacket being my go-to (cuz I loved it for everything) I lost about half the loft, and at 3 years I have a double layer Air Shed jacket. Something folks should consider for their wallet and plastic footprint.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Malcolm – WOW.  Losing half the loft after a year and having the loft be completely gone in 3 is terrible.

“Insulation is not as durable as continuous filament insulations”:  understatement of the year!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, I hear that…

Malcolm H
    BPL Member

@malcolmrh

To be fair, I used it a lot, kind of a ‘loved it to death’ situation. And washed probably once a week in winter so that my bike commute didn’t smell like sweaty skiing. I think I’ll follow Max’s lead to the arcteryx version though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools