Topic

Packing a cooking pot with water container into backpack side pocket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Packing a cooking pot with water container into backpack side pocket

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Hans W
    BPL Member

@wabl

Considering acquiring the following items:

1. SNOWPEAK TITANIUM 350 KENPAI BOTTLE (a thermos flask)
    2. SNOWPEAK TITANIUM FRENCH PRESS (intend to use the pot only)
    3. SULUK46 MANAK TITANIUM GRILL

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>REASONING</span>
    1. Lightweight options.
    2. The outer diameter of the KENPAI FLASK (77mm) is marginally smaller than the inner diameter of the SNOWPEAK FRENCH PRESS (estimated at 80mm), ensuring that I can stow my flask within the pot (perhaps with a light neoprene sleeve to reduce knocking. More specifically as the outer diameter of the SNOWPEAK FRENCH PRESS is only 82mm (x 140mm high), these combined units will easily store in the side pocket of my pack typically reserved for water bottles.
    3. The MANAK TITANIUM GRILL from Suluk46 appears to be a well designed lightweight/packable grill for cooking.

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>QUERY</span>
    Are there other users that can offer an alternate arrangement providing a similar or better result, noting the design objectives are being able to store a cooking pot within the side pocket of my pack, hence saving space and still providing a viable option to store a lightweight flask.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Don’t add stuff (neoprene sleeve) to minimize banging.  Just store your bandana in between them or maybe that little 1″ x 2″ cut piece of scrubbie sponge jammed in between would hold them tightly enough.

Be very careful if the water bottle can slip out of the pot – some of my pot – water bottle – side pocket combinations would be asking for the water bottle to slide out when I lean over even though the water bottle by itself would have been secure enough.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

This is a quart size single wall stainless steel pot with screw on lid that can be sealed to safely carry water. Use it to cook with. The lid has a stainless steel loop welded to it so you can attach a wire to it so you can hang it over a wood fire or set it on your titanium grille. It might fit in your side pocket.

Hans W
    BPL Member

@wabl

I’m aware that Vargo also produce a 1 litre “BOT”, a pot with a screw on lid that doubles up as a pot, primary issue would be the larger diameter 105mm

Looking at the Suluk46 MANAK TITANIUM GRILL, I can’t help but think that some of the individual member could double up in function as either a wood saw (serrated underside edge) or a knife, or perhaps even incorporate some simple tools. Thought for another day.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Sharpen the long pieces, one into a saw blade and the other a long handled knife….now you’re cookin

Hans W
    BPL Member

@wabl

Yes, and I also think the 9 lateral fins and the 2 longitudinal fins could incorporate a t-slot and rivet head design such that they could slide & click together increasing the width, and more efficient packing method. There’s a lot that could be done with this unit to add greater versatility.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

What is maximum diameter that will fit in your side pocket?

Are you dead set on titanium?

How are you going to manage all the grease that gets into the small joints where the lateral pieces fit into after using the grille?

The size of the stainless steel container is 5-1/2” tall x 3-7/8” diameter

The container is good for cold soaking.

Image result for stainless steel mason jar

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Serendipity!  I happened to be a Disney’s California Adventure and stopped to put on sunscreen.  In the window display was this little gem.  These are stainless steel paint buckets for cleaning artist paint brushes.  They are stainless steel and have a gasket on top to keep solvents from spilling.  I saw a few small ones on Amazon for as low as ~$12 (500 ml).  I think that the medium size one could be pretty cool.  I don’t know anything about the weights though.  Best wishes

Michael M
    BPL Member

@murph

Do you have a link to this container?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Here is where I ordered my pot

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192291685658

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools