Topic

Pack friendly bear canister shape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack friendly bear canister shape

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Winston W
    BPL Member

@winstwi-2

Guys just had a thought, why don’t they make a pack friendly more rectangular bear vault shape. Like two cylinders joined together with two round screw top holes?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

I’m no bear canister design expert, but two smaller cylinders joined in the middle would each have a smaller diameter than a normal bear canister. The smaller diameter would fit more easily into a bear’s mouth, likely increasing the likelihood that the canister could be crushed. Unless I’m mistaken, there’s a minimum diameter above which the canister will not fit well into the mouth of a grizzly where it can be crushed. Also, two smaller cylinders joined in the middle would have a higher weight to volume ratio than a single, larger cylinder. And if you were to use a stronger material to allow a smaller diameter that is bear jaw crush resistant, then the added weight of that stronger material would also increase the weight to volume ratio.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

9” min diameter..

There have been a few different ideas thrown around here through the years yet the simple canister remains.

Winston W
    BPL Member

@winstwi-2

Ok got it, minimum mouth diameter (8.5″ +?) makes sense. I guess it’s hard to get around that.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Well, there is this one:  https://www.rei.com/product/135835/frontiersman-insider-bear-safe

The shape is pretty unique.  I’ve seen it, dinked with it, and hefted it:  not my cup of tea, but many of the reviews seem to be favorable.  It might work for a group where someone is carrying a bigger pack.  At least someone is innovating in this area.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Still 9” in diameter. Pretty mixed reviews as usual for REI.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

The round shape also gives strength around the whole design, like an arch. If you’ve seen the videos of bear canister tests where a big grizzly puts its front paws on a bear canister and heaves its weight up and down on it, I would imagine that a rectangular shape would not hold up to that (or would need to be considerably heavier in order to hold up).

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

I wonder if a semi-round shape would be strong enough if it had an internal bulkhead in the middle to prevent the flat sides from being crushed together? Such a reinforced shape may be rectangular enough to fit in a pack pretty well, but also round enough to resist bear jaw crushing because of the added support of the bulkhead. The flat part of one of the walls could be fitted with a flush lid with locking screws in it, similar to the lid on the Bear Boxer Contender canister. Minimum thickness would be 9″ to prevent easy bear jaw fit.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It’s not enough to keep the bear from crushing it, you gotta keep him getting a hold on it and carrying it away where you can’t find it. No small diameters, no tight corners, no protrusions or loops, no notches or holes. Basically lots of big and round.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

they still have not been approved but they have been trying for quite a long time

The Bearier 700.

Outdoor Retailer: Baffling bears with the Bearier 700 .

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“The shape is pretty unique.”

But it weighs 3 pounds.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I bought a pack that fits my canister. Done.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Ken – that’s the kind of thinking that I can get behind. Nicely done.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

JCH, right tool for the job.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools