Topic

Outdoor Research Uberlayer Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Outdoor Research Uberlayer Review

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Max Neale
    BPL Member

@maximumdragonfly

Locale: Anchorage, AK

Companion forum thread to: Outdoor Research Uberlayer Review

This Outdoor Research Uberlayer Review features an active insulation jacket that weighs about four ounces more than similar jackets but does not make up for the extra weight with added comfort, durability, warmth, or lower cost. The Uberlayer performed reasonably well in our tests.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

If your biggest beef about this active insulation was the weight and feeling of the mesh liner, why didn’t you look at other offerings from OR?  The OR Ascendant Hoody is lighter, and has no inner fabric. The Alpha insulation is exposed on the inside.

Bryan Bihlmaier
    BPL Member

@bryanb

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

Jeff, that was my thought exactly. The OR Ascendant hoody weighs a claimed 13.0 oz, which is a whole 1.4 oz lighter than the top-recommended Arcteryx Proton LT. The Ascendant uses the same weight of PolarTec Alpha insulation as the reviewed Uberlayer, so I assume they would both be the same warmth. And according to Max’s review, the Uberlayer is the same warmth as the Proton LT and Nano Air.

So Max, I have two questions if you would be kind enough to reply. First, how do you think the OR Ascendant hooded jacket would compare in this review?

And, you state that PolarTec Alpha insulation is not durable? Can you please explain why? I thought that since Alpha is basically long-pile fleece, it would not break or lose loft like short-fiber, loose synthetic insulation fills having very small fiber diameters. I’ve not noticed my fleece layers losing loft. Do you have experience with Alpha not being durable?

I am asking sincerely, because I plan to buy either the Proton LT or the Ascendant hoody soon, and I want to make sure I correctly understand the pros and cons of each.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

if I recall correctly, Richard mentioned that Polartec Thermal Pro High Loft loses up to 30% insulation from compression but that is restored from being fluffed in a dryer.

Bryan Bihlmaier
    BPL Member

@bryanb

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

Max or Ryan, do you have any further information on why you say the Polartec Alpha insulation is not durable?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You might try to PM Max for an answer. Looking at his profile he does not seem to post replies to articles, just to his posts in Gear Swap. That’s a shame, particularly with so many reviews.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools