Topic

One or two hiking poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I have used two hiking poles when I have a full pack on my back.  Almost never day hiking.  The poles have saved me innumerable time crossing streams, arresting falls when tripping, and seem to help me go faster on smooth tracks.  But, they get in the way of photography, have to often be put away bouldering, and are just one more thing to mess with on the trail.  I am thinking of going to one pole as a compromise.  Any thoughts?

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

I use one pole on day hikes and easy weekend BP trips. On open trails like the AT, poles are fine. Did a semi bushwhack yesterday where vines, weeds, fallen tree limbs were all grabbing the pole. I hike a lot of steep, rocky terrain where 2 poles are appreciated. Rigging up an on-the-fly pole holder, ala Osprey Packs is a very handy way to go with one pole in hand and one stowed.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

From maybe age 20-40 I didn’t use any poles, then from 40-60 I was comfortable using one pole, and now I use two. Two was initially a bit of a pain because many trails here in the Cascades tend to be overgrown, but the increased stability is a welcome thing. When backpacking I usually just carry both poles in one hand on the nice stretches of trail and only put them to use on rough or steep sections. I use the poles from Titanium Goat (Ruta Locura now). Two poles are great for river fording.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Day hikes: 0 poles.

Most backpacking trips: 0 poles.  Maybe 1 if there are river crossings.

Off-trail meat sherpa: 2 poles.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

they get in the way of photography, have to often be put away bouldering, and are just one more thing to mess with on the trail

What part of that isn’t also true for a single staff?  For my money, a single pole is much less than half as useful as two trekking poles.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I pretty much need two poles just because.  I’ve grown to like having AWD thundering through the back forty

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I think you lose 85% of the benefit poles provide when you only use one.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’ve lost (read broke) two different trekking poles- one on a tough ford halfway across the Bob Marshall and another this last winter on a snowshoeing trip- one pole was better than a kick in the a$$, but not much better :)

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I guess you have to ask yourself how much more inconvenient it is to carry two poles vs one. I either hike with two poles, or none. My Cascade Mtn Tech carbon poles are so light I don’t even notice them and when I’m scrambling I just stow them.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I used to never use poles. I used to use thumb loops. Then I was convinced to use poles. I like two because they are useful for the same reason thumb loops were useful: to keep my hands from getting puffy. My shelter now uses only one pole but I continue to use two for my hands.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“For my money, a single pole is much less than half as useful as two trekking poles.”

Yes to this. I don’t really understand using one pole. I don’t see how it helps much or at all.

I even use my GG lightrek poles on little day hikes in Tilden. I don’t need them but I like using them. When it’s muddy I like having them. I’m a four footed beast. Or, well, turtle or salamander.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

One hiking staff is better than two trekking poles

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Used to use trekking poles, they just irritate me now, so i’ve not used one for a few years

I like having my hands free and i’m not missing the tick tack noise on harder surfaces

Found i’ve had less falls without poles as using poles tended to give me a false sense of security, now i’m more positive about where i put my feet and rely on my own balance

Takes some getting used to, but after a few hikes i feels weird to use them again

Also noticed my arm, back ans shoulders are less fatigued at the end of the day

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I only ever use one. Trails are too scrubbed over in most of the locations I hike in to use two. Open trails I don’t need any. On my daily walks, I never use them.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I carry one. Might use it for a sketchy section or water crossing. Mostly just for my mid.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Zero or two for me.  Somehow I feel lopsided with only one, and my arm and back don’t like it.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

^same

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

What ZEN (Matt) sed.

I began using one pole (a longish bamboo pole) in the ’70s and then got into XC skiing and ski racing. From there I knew the advantage of 2 poles was what I needed for backpacking and have always used 2 poles since then. (And it sure doesn’t hurt that I have them to support my Notch Li tent.)

That said I must stress that learning how to properly utilize the pole straps is essential to comfortably using hiking poles. See Youtube demos on this topic for XC skiing and you will “be enlightened”.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I use them for my shelters, so it’s 2 for backpacking.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

That said I must stress that learning how to properly utilize the pole straps is essential to comfortably using hiking poles.

I use Pacer Poles. No strap lessons required.

Tracy C
    BPL Member

@tcatron

I always use one. It gives me security when crossing streams or going down steep inclines. It’s light to carry in my hand during easy stretches, and since I use a gatewood cape with serenity net for my shelter, it’s all I need.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Another approach is to think about how many animals only have 3 legs vs 4 and why that might be….  Just saying.

And if you can’t decide whether to use 1 or 2 poles, just use one but carry the other on your pack to have if you need (dicey creek crossings, tent setup, etc.).

Vincent Vilcinskas
    BPL Member

@vinvil

Never used pole when I was a younger man…..I’m a senior citizen now with two bad knees….two poles for me.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I increasingly only actually use one or no poles, but in a long descent two poles can really help the knees. Off-trail I have been using only one. But after breaking a few, on balance I think it is worth having the second because of the tarp. If only for difficult stream crossings, I really would not go out without at least one pole.

Herman
    BPL Member

@hre814

Locale: Alaska

2 poles, rarely no poles. They have helped numerous times. Depends on how steep or slick it is. Some like straps, mine have been cut off my BD alpine carbon poles. These are stout and have lasted me 10 years without an issue. I’ve been tempted to go with lighter ones, but I think I’d bust one.

While I use straps for Nordic skiing I don’t use hiking poles in that same pushing manner.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools