Topic

One or two hiking poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yup. I broke a couple. NY trails are not really well maintained. Being on the narrow side, it is easy too get tangled up in the scrub. Most streams are crossable without any poles, even in high water conditions. I can always use a found stick as a crossing pole. Using one pole on long upgradws is a matter of “pumping.” I simply slide the pole forward to my feet and push for each step I take. On downgrades, I have one arm free for immediate balance. Usually heavy duty rocks are the order of the day and at least twice in a climb, I have to use my arms to help pull me up…kind of a half scramble. Besides being lighter, the one pole also works to hold my shelter up. (I designed and built the one shelter around the pole length.) Never use baskets, ‘cept in snowy conditions. If you use two poles, fine. Most people pack up one, simply electing to carry one after a week in the back country.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Once I hit the mid-50s it was two poles all the time.  I can’t exaggerate how many times they saved my knees and ankles and helped me avoid a fall.  Once you hit a certain age what once were minor injuries are not so minor any more, and they don’t heal nearly as fast.  Brittle bones, loose joints, worn-out cartilage, balance going…you young’uns have a lot to look forward to!

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I feel I can go faster without hiking poles. Also, I feel I can see my surroundings better when I don’t have the poles. Maybe concentrating too much as to where to put the poles down on the floor. Always used two – trying to not use any.

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

For me, having 2 is better for balance, stream crossings, rocky terrain and trudging up/down hill. My tarp only needs one pole to set up, so if I do per chance snap one (which I have) I’ll have at least one to set up my shelter.

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I only began to use trekking poles about 5 years ago and after nearly two decades of hiking ‘pole-less’ or with a walking stick I had one of those “wish I would’ve known about these sooner” moments.  These days I cannot imagine using only one pole so it’s two or zero for me.

*five years ago I bought a shelter that sets up with two poles :p

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools