Topic

NorCal GGG XII

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips NorCal GGG XII

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

I’m not organizing, but I thought I’d start a discussion anyway.

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

If we want the event to be at one of the Manzanita Point campsites in Henry W. Coe State Park, it’s not too early to reserve a site.

For the sake of discussion, I’ll propose March 13-15, 2020.

R
    Spectator

@autox

On the calendar!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Aren’t the ticks out in the long soaking wet grass in March?   That’s not a long weekend either.  Any reason why you picked those dates Steve?  Not giving you a hard time. Just curious.  Thanks

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

@here wrote:

Any reason why you picked those dates Steve?

Because it would be exactly one year after the last NorCal GGG?

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

Turning up the volume!

Who else might be interested in joining a mid-March GGG in the Bay Area this year?

Like 2019, attractions will include the traditional wood stove burn off, alcohol burn offs for speed and efficiency, lightest complete cook kit (stove, pot, lid, windscreen, fuel container, source of ignition, and stuff sack/container), lightest saw capable of cutting through a douglas fir 2×2, fastest saw under 8 oz. to cut through dry douglas fir 2×2, lightest knife with at least a 1.5″ blade, the shelter tour and judging, and perhaps some even newer events still under development.

We need about twelve participants to make it financially viable at requested donation of $15/person (total) for the two nights. If I can find at least one committed co-organizer to split the risk, I will reserve the site.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Thanks for kicking off the discussion.  That might be a possibility for me, northernmost attendee at GGG X.  There’s a competition date TBA in March for a team I coach, I’ll know once that’s announced.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Steve, thanks for taking the initiative. I was thinking about organizing it again but 2019 kicked my butt. I’d be happy to split the reservation cost. PM me.

The dates work for me. Or mid- to late February. Or whenever works!

Ken, I didn’t see a single tick last year in March. Hopefully that will be true again.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I’m not sure, Manfred.  Possibly a day trip out, but I don’t know yet.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Ack.  Posted this in the wtrong thread, and can’t edit it now???

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

I’m interested and so is Chris Smead.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I won’t be able to make it as it is the weekend before finals. Looking forward to hearing about it though!

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

Hey, I would be interested in coming back down from Idaho again!  But that is prime time hiking for Utah? I’ll stay in touch!

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I’d definitely go. Thanks for starting this up! March works for me.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Hey everybody,

Who knows where we’ll be with the virus in three months, but in the spirit of cautious optimism can I get a show of hands for rescheduling GGGXII to October 14-16, 2020?

R
    Spectator

@autox

I’m not comfortable committing to something that soon.

I’ve been wondering if it would make any sense to attempt any of the various contests proposed in digital format.  Show and tells certainly won’t be the same, but still possible.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@autox: Sure! A Zoom GGG! Do you know how to set up a meeting?

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Hi David, I’m interested.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

It wouldn’t seem like a GGG if I can’t smell all of you, but I’m game (if not gamey).

Maybe a round of “check-in” as to how we’re each doing, and optional show&tell on some new piece of store-bought gear or MYOG that we’ve used and liked in the last year.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Foe me a GGG should be live, kinda the point.  I’ll come make the trip when and if.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

If things are safer in the fall, I’ll come, but who knows what’ll happen between then and now.

An online GGG doesn’t sound like my kind of thing though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools