Topic

NorCal GGG XI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips NorCal GGG XI

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Original Post

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Doesn’t seem so original to me…

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

The 11th or the original… which is it??

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Now that I have the un-editable OP out of the way…

Announcing “NorCal” GGG XI for 2019, the weekend of March 15-17 at Henry Coe State Park (with apologies for not getting this out there sooner, but a lot of “life” has been happening in the past several months).

Might be wetter but will almost certainly be warmer than end of January. I’ll be bringing a massive 20′ x 40′ tarp and plenty of cordage as in years past, just in case.

Planning the traditional wood stove burn off, alcohol burn offs for speed and efficiency, lightest complete cook kit (stove, pot, lid, windscreen, fuel container, source of ignition, and stuff sack/container), lightest saw capable of cutting through a douglas fir 2×2, fastest saw under 8 oz. to cut through dry douglas fir 2×2, lightest knife with at least a 1.5″ blade, and the new fan favorite shelter tour.

The one thing I may need help with is a vehicle capable of carrying water and wood to the campsite. Erik G? Anyone else?

Requesting contributions of $15/person to defray costs.

Hope to see old friends and new!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

We were just debating about spending Spring Break (March 9-16) in Inverness, in which case, I’d be 30 minutes away (instead of the usual 2,118 air miles).  If that happens, I’d have a rental car and access to lots of sudden-oak-death and Bishop-pine wood.

I’ll keep you posted.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You might not need to bring water if the trail tanks are filled. You’ll have to check with HQ but that could save you some hassle.

R
    Spectator

@autox

Arrgh! I was out of town last year…. and I’ll be out of town this year as well.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

David.
    Not sure you are serious. But please do not import oak or other wood that might be infected into Henry Coe.

Here are the guidelines for managed lands in California threatened by Sudden Oak Death which included Henry Coe.
    http://firewood.ca.gov
    Cheers

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Interested! Y’all happened to schedule this one during spring break. I might join this time.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

David,

Regarding 30 minutes away, are you confusing Henry Coe State Park with Samuel P. Taylor State Park?

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Just got official clearance – I’m in!

Happy to help out with water and/or firewood as needed, and within applicable guidelines :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

I will plan to attend. I can bring some extra tarps if the weather forecast calls for it.

FWIW, I just talked to the head HQ ranger “John V.” about this event at the PRA meeting this past Sunday, and he said he hadn’t heard that it had been scheduled yet. I told him it probably would be.

@gearmaker
    I could drive my Jeep Liberty into the site, park regulations permitting (even though I’d rather hike).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Putting it on the schedule.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Casey, Yes, I didn’t even register Henry Coe SP. I saw DavidG and GGG and thought of Samuel P Taylor SP (although I’ve been to GGGs at each).  My puzzlement about water should have been a clue – how can STP ever not have water?

Bruce: my bad. I was thinking of taking wood from West Marin County to West Marin County.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@ SteveS: Thanks! Can I get the year and license plate of your jeep please? I need that in order to make the reservation.

You can drive in to drop off water and wood, then drive back out and hike in, if you want.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Reservation made!

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

Ken @here wrote:

You might not need to bring water if the trail tanks are filled. You’ll have to check with HQ but that could save you some hassle.

The park is down some maintenance staff at the moment, so they might not be servicing those tanks in the next few months. We should definitely call the visitor center to check, but I think we’ll be on our own for water.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

And the water trailer was broken last year.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

how can STP ever not have water?

In 2014 Samuel P Taylor State Park had a severe water shortage, shut down all the showers and some of the bathrooms and camping loops, and asked car campers to bring water. I think it was a combination of problems, including the drought and broken plumbing. I camped there on a 100-mile loop through Marin County during the troubles. They continue to have water problems, and currently won’t allow RVs to fill freshwater tanks or dump waste.

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I plan to be there.

If needed, I can deliver stuff to camp with my 2wd Tacoma truck plus shell and roof rack, and the roads aren’t too muddy. But sometimes State Parks insists on 4WD for dry dirt roads.

— Rex

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I don’t know if I can make this or the Nor Cal hang in Lassen. We’ll see how school commitments line up when it gets closer.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

David,

Thanks for organizing! I will be in Germany during that time and won’t be able to attend.

Enjoy!

Manfred

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@DavidT, MatthewK and Kat: Hope you can make it, even if just for one night!

@ReneR and Manfred: Sorry you can’t make it. You’ll be missed.

@ErikG, SteveS, Doug and Rex: Glad you’ll be there! Invite family and friends!

I’m reaching out to privately to some past attendees in case they missed this thread.

Talked to the rangers, and they’re expecting conditions both warmer and drier than years past. Should be great weather!

As a side note, I’ve spent the last year developing a new alcohol system that weighs less than 6 oz (pot, wick burner, Ti windscreen, 8 fluid oz fuel bottle, insulated cooking/packing vessel) and consistently boils 500 mL of ice cold water (0.0-0.3 *F) in 7:15 minutes using 14 grams of fuel (17.75 mL) with efficiency over 65% and StoveBench F value of nearly .50! Perhaps more importantly it’s almost windproof too (tested in steady 8 mph wind). Working on a post for the MYOG forum.

For the wood and alcohol speed and efficiency burn-offs this year I plan to bring in ice so we can duplicate StoveBench protocol as closely as possible.

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Count me in! Should be fun as always!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools