Topic

NorCal GGG XI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips NorCal GGG XI

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Will have to bow out of this. Have a great time y’all!

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

I’m watching the weather to see what kind of event will it be: A nice almost-spring fun in the sun, or a soggy swim in the mud?

There’s a good chance the park won’t allow us to drive-in supplies like water and wood if the roads are too wet.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You kids have fun. Looking forward to the trip report.

Always good for someone to call a day or two before going so they expect the herd.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

It’s getting late. Is this trip still viable? Looks like a few people have said they want to come but without more details and commitment, it seems quite “iffy”. ????
    David G., hope your reservation isn’t at risk of not being paid for by others who just don’t have the information they need to make a decision. Latest information and attendance numbers? When will a decision be made about go/no go re: the weather which has been so rainy lately??

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

@Jane: GGG XI is definitely on! Current tally:

Yes: Me and my fiance, Steve S., Erik G, Richard Neimi, Jerrod, Daniel Kelly, Rex Sanders

Maybe: Matthew K, Bruce Tolley, Kat, my friend Dwight.

If 10 people attend at $15 each I will recoup my investment in the site reservation.

Last time I talked to the rangers they said they were expecting dry weather the weekend of 3/15-3/17. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Given the commitments I have I will not be staying overnight but will do my best to hike in on Saturday and say hi. Maybe I can get Chris to come with me for this one ;)

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

David G.,
    Thanks for latest info. I hope to hike in on Sat. but probably won’t stay overnight. Rain may cause me to change plans but I’ll still be good for $15 for your site reservation cost. Thanks for your work on this.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@Jane: Hope you can make it in. It would be great to see you again!

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Matt and Susan Bruni plan on attending unless heavy rain is predicted.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I thought my family might be at Point Reyes for all of Spring Break and that I’d make it for most of GGG XI, but we’re only there for Thurs-Sat, flying back on Sunday, so most of that will be family time, but I think I can pop in on Saturday.

Jane: I need to firm things up with the in-laws, but if we’re both in Inverness and going for the day Saturday, maybe there’s a car-pool option?  I’ll have a rental car and need to get back to Berkeley for a concert with the family Saturday night.

It seems like one of those small-world things that I’m arranging a ride with someone 2,116 miles away.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@David Thomas: It would be great if you can come by. Hopefully with some caribou jerky and/or pastrami!

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

David Thomas, I won’t be coming from Inverness. Likely will be coming from our Berkeley home. I usually leave very early in the a.m. so I can spend as much of the day at Coe as possible, then walk out before it gets dark. Don’t yet know if my husband will come or will be getting veggie beds prepared in Inverness. ???

Eng-Shien Wu
    BPL Member

@engshien

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would like to attend. I’ve lurked on the forum for years but this year will be the first I have participated in posted events (I joined Kat’s Baby GGG in Pine Valley). I assume it is still at Manzanita Group site like previous years.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@Eng-Shien: Glad you plan to attend. Always nice to meet fellow UL gear geeks!

Yes, it’s in the usual spot, Manzanita Point MP-05. There will be a lighted sign on foamboard at the turnoff from the main road into Mazanita Point.

To all: I’m going to call the rangers on Friday to see what road conditions are like. If we’re not able to drive in with water and firewood, participants should pack in at least one gallon of water per day of expected stay. And as much firewood as you’re willing and able.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Regarding Jane driving to GGG for the day…

Jane (and David), I’m also considering going for the day. If so, may I ride with you? I’m in Kensington so no extra driving would be required.

Casey

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Casey: I think that works for me. I’ll double check my timing requirements.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Casey and David,
    That could work for me. I’m off of Claremont Ave. between Ashby and College. E-mail: [email protected] for exact house number and phone. Could we leave between 7 and 7:30 a.m. from my house? What time would we need to leave Coe to get David back in time for his event?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

I’d be aiming to get back to Berkeley at 7 pm and that’s 2:15 to 2:30 away from Henry Coe?  So I’d leave Henry Coe at 4:30.  That may well be earlier than others want to and I’m fine driving myself back and forth.

But if that works for Jane or Casey, yes, I could be in Berkeley at 7-7:30 am, leaving Inverness at 6 am.

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

I confirmed with staff at the Henry Coe State Park HQ yesterday that the road (but not the trails) to the Manzanita Point group campsites will still be impassible by next weekend. That means that the park cannot get vehicles in to service the outhouses nor the water tanks, and we will not be able to drive-in water, wood, or other heavy supplies.

If someone has a BoB trailer and a mountain bike, and has the energy and determination to haul that stuff in, that might be possible. Now would be the time to volunteer.

Otherwise, water at the site will be limited to:

• Whatever hikers can carry in,
    • Filtered from nearby Bass Pond (which is likely to be very silty),
    • or available from hike down 1,000′ over 2.6 miles to Coyote Creek at China Hole.
    Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

David and Jane,

If only I come I can meet you at Jane’s house in the morning. If other members of my family decide to come we can fit everyone in our car. Let’s discuss off the forums. I’ve sent each of you PM’s with my email address.

Casey

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Rangers called me this morning and said they will be checking the roads on Wednesday and Thursday and will let me know Friday morning if the road to Manzanita Point will be drivable. Seems doubtful though. I will post an update Friday morning before I leave to drive there.

As noted before, people should plan on packing in their own water, unless they want to filter or hike, and as much firewood as they can carry.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Park staff saved us one year by driving our stuff out to the site. They’ve been awesome.  Reason why January instead of March? Rain.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Wow, I missed this – haven’t been checking the forums much lately.  But I’m working both days this weekend, so I’m out anyway.  Have fun, you guys!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@ken: Yeah, I know. Just didn’t get my s**t together in time to do January this year.

@dk: Sorry you can’t make it. I’ll make an earlier reservation and get the word out sooner next time.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Are the water tanks empty? Or just not potable? Maybe we can just filter the water from them? I’m guessing someone already asked that question, but maybe not!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools