Topic

New windshield system for canister stoves: Simmershield

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New windshield system for canister stoves: Simmershield

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

It is a bit fiddly, at the first few times you put it together.  Once you spend some time with it, it’s pretty quick and easy.

I dislike fiddle factors witha passion :-)

SimmerShield
    Spectator

@simmershield

Locale: SimmerShield

obx hiker: “it seems you’re saying the efficiencies are only realized with the BRs3000? Is this something to do with it’s ability to really simmer at some um-matched low fuel consumption rate?”

Nope, there isn’t anything special about the BRS on the efficiency side.  For our system you just need to make sure that the fuel burns completely while still inside the shield, which is a pretty low bar.  Any burner is at least that good, so the efficiency should be the exact same for any burner.

If the efficiency is the same for each burner, then you might as well use the smallest and  lightest option.

As a side bonus, the BRS produces a nice stable flame even at very low power outputs.

Thanks for the question!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I saw that 13.5 liters boiled with 4 ounces butane claim in their Reddit post and I’ll wait till someone confirms it independently.  They claimed “twice the efficiency”

Everyone should purchase the system at that efficiency

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

$99 for a BRS-3000 a mug and some sheet metal?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

@ Brad W

~$17 for the stove / ~$32 for the mug & lid / say $5 for the cozy = that’s about $44.  Maybe 25% discount on bulk orders for these OEM parts.

That leaves $55 for the 2 piece titanium windscreen.   Got to make a profit somewhere.  I hope they do well.  My 2 cents.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“Got to make a profit somewhere.”

Running a small business is tough.  Dealing with unhappy customers, sometimes unreasonably.  Paying for all your overhead.  Paying for stuff that doesn’t sell…

Charging twice as much as the cost of the parts is more than reasonable.

Thanks to any small business owners.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Rarely factored into the costs for a small business are the time for negotiating and dealing with a customer, then the time for packing the goods up, then the time for posting the goods. But that is just the start.

Dealing with any problems which arise can take a huge amount of time as well. I have had a stove gone missing in the post, a stove damaged in the post, several stoves got blocked up by dirt so they didn’t run properly, stoves were damaged by the customer being a shade too rough, and more. All these things are overheads, which cost time and hence money.

Is being a small manufacturer profitable? One sometimes wonders!

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Is being a small manufacturer profitable? One sometimes wonders!

Cheers

Why do you continue Roger? It’s because you make a huge profit on your stoves 

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Oh yeah, sure, a HUGE profit …

I did work out at one stage that I was earning about $3/hour. Very Chinese. There are so many parts to a stove, and they each take so long to make.

It’s a hobby.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools