Topic

New MLD Solomid XL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New MLD Solomid XL

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Ron has unveiled the new intermediate size mid that measures 4.5′ X 9.2′ ,for all those who felt the Duomid too large and the Solomid too small, your prayers are answered. Weighs 17 oz for silnylon and 13 oz for .74 cuben.

James L
    BPL Member

@jimmerul

I am a big fan of MLD gear but I think Ron sort of jumped the shark on this one…

For 1 oz more you can get the Doumid. which, for the Solo hiker, means a real vestibule with the same amount of usable space on the sleeping side.

The new XL still has a larger footprint than the regular Solomid..And then there is the higher price :0

Options are great but, IMHO, this one is kind of weak in terms of real utility.

Frankly, it makes the Doumid look like a bargain in terms of both weight and cost.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

But it is asymmetrical. I love my Solomid XL, and am glad to have the extra length that I didn’t have with the Duomid.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Yea, the new Solomid is 4″ longer than the Duomid. However, Ron made a typo error because he says the new Solomid XL is 4.5′ wide, but then under the specs it says 50″ wide, Last time I heard 4.5′ was 54″. I’m assuming (and hoping) that it’s 54″. Surely you wouldn’t think he’d only go 2″ wider than the latest Solomid.

For many people the 5′ wide footprint on the Duomid is just a bit too much. 4.5′ on the other hand…well, maybe.

James L
    BPL Member

@jimmerul

Well, I take back some of my initital opinions about this…

First, it DOES offer more length for taller users. I am 5-10 – Joe Average.. So the trevails of the Yeti sized hikers out there in finding a shelter that fits them sometimes elude me..My applogies to Ken, Ian etc ,etc..;)

Also, I was under the impression the price was quite a bit higher than the regular Doumid . I just checked Ron’s site and its not.. Good deal!

For $265 in Silnylon, it seems a solid option for a larger user that wants minimal footprint size with maximum liveable space..

whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

Any experience with this new design yet? Any tall hikers using it? Too soon?

Would love to see photos if possible.

Dave B
    BPL Member

@dave-b

Locale: Los Angeles area

Has anyone tried this shelter in the .5 Cuben?  Is the lighter, more delicate, cuben worth the weight savings?  It has always given me pause that MLD doesn’t offer any warranty on their .5 cuben fiber offerings.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I am willing to test and post a review if I am sent one.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Really nice, and even more important than width, that he increased the height as well as the length.

Because of the slope of the walls, merely lengthening it would not significantly increase usable space at the ends.

This is a win all around for taller folks.

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

Anybody get a chance to order/try this out yet? I was looking at getting the sil version of this, but keep going back and forth between the duomid and this one.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Just received my new Cuben Solomid XL (0.75oz/sqyd Cuben, most recent dimensions) with Solo XL Inner (Cuben Floor)

Some Weights …

Solomid XL (No Guylines) … 375g (13.2 oz) which is a bit under spec of 13.5 oz

Inner … 261g (9.2 oz) a bit over spec of 8.5 oz

Build quality is excellent as usual … looks mostly to be similar in technique with respect to construction as most MLD mids. I did notice that the loop at the apex on the outside (used to hang from tree/external point) is now mad of a heavy weight cuben, not webbing as it was previously.

whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

Congrats! When possible, would love to see some photos of mid with and without inner. I’m sure everyone is curious about the new asymmetrical design, particularly how much livable space it offers.

Thx.

Robert Alexander
    BPL Member

@robmalexander

Locale: Atlanta

The claimed weights of the Solomid XL and Duomid are essentially the same, per the site. If I am under 6’1″ then it seems to me to be a no-brainer to get the Duomid. Otherwise the chief savings are in the footprint (which obviously translates to site flexibility).

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

I am having that dilemma currently, Robert. Ron just increased the size of the duomid to 110L x 66W which makes it more competitive for taller users. The weight had no increase though, which makes me wonder if that could change on the website. Definitely would love to see some pics of the new solo xl wherever M has a chance!

Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

Any pictures of the solo XL?

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Got the guylines on it this weekend but haven’t set it up yet.

Used Lawson Kline Glowire … 3mm on the 4 corner ties and 2mm on the rest (mid panel pullouts and the mid panel edge tieouts) … ended up adding 48g worth of guylines.

I’ll set it up as soon as I can and add some pictures.

Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

Nice :)

Im curious about the vestibule space in this asymmetric design

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

Soooo, did ya get it set up yet? Suspense, man!

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Sadly, not yet … I’ve had a couple of inquiries. I’ll get some pictures up as soon as I can.

Life is just in the way right now.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I am sure there many of us silently waiting for your pics.  I am tempted to push the button on this one but want to hear an owner’s opinion and see some pics first.   Specifically I am wondering if the pole is able to be set perfectly vertical, or if it has to be offset to the front at the base.

No rush but thanks in advance for when you are able to put up some pics.

Derrick

whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

+1

Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

Why don`t MLD put out more shelter pictures / videos ?? Would have been good marketing…..

Im looking for a solo shelter at the moment and I have my finger on the trigger, but I do not take a decision based on 4 pictures.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Google image search for Solomid XL yields some more pictures, and some of the links to the sites probably contain some reviews, etc… I didn’t check any of the links, but it’s likely.

Håvard Skarping
    BPL Member

@koffar

Most of the pictures and reviews is of the older version of the solomid XL, not the new asym version that im interested in.

Scott W
    Spectator

@jswharton

This is the solomid xl that I just received a few days ago.  Here is a couple I just took.  I took more pics but lost them somehow.

easy to setup, have the perimeter net.  Have not figured out how to setup off ground level but even at ground level when you tie out mid panel you get a few inches for airflow.  I did remove the 2 plastic bands and the bug net from the top vent, makes it much easier to pack.  This was like the third time I set it up.  I’ll get some more next practice session.

Soon there will be a MLD CUBEN GRACE DUO TARP and a 1.5 net tent from Bear Paw for sale!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools