Topic

New MLD Solomid XL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New MLD Solomid XL

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

After much hemming and hawing I pulled the trigger. Ordered one on the February 1 – I eagerly check my mailbox multiple times a day.

Will post pictures most assuredly.

Also ordered a Seek Outside Silvertip for further edification.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Thank you Scott,

Are you able to tell me if the single pole is able to be set vertically with no offset at the base.  Past MLD designs, as I understand, of the Solomid, required the bottom of the pole to be offset toward the front of the tent so it was angled.

Thanks

Derrick

Scott W
    Spectator

@jswharton

Appears vertical is OK. Also can move a single pole 6″ to 8″ in any direction and maintain integrity. Of course there was no wind today so who knows how far off vertical in wind is acceptable.  The xtherm is about 60″ X 25″ for reference.

staking out the rear middle line lock is a denfinite value add for space and creates the eyebrow for air flow.  The mid-panel shock cord not so much for space but probably stability?

Forward 3-4″ left 3-4″

Vertical

rear setup

Scott W
    Spectator

@jswharton

2 pole setup, tons of room

Inserted front pole first in this 2 pole setup, it was clear that while the mid was up the rear wall integrity was significantly compromised with only 1 pole so significantly off vertical.  Would probably start with the rear pole first then the front if there was any kind of wind.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

I still have not pushed the button on buying this tent.  Giving some heavy consideration to sewing a custom version myself now that my sewing skills seem to be improving.

Any more comments from folks who have actually used it?

Thanks

Derrick

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

So I did ultimately push the button.  It arrives tomorrow.  .74 cuben, with innernet with cuben floor. I will post some pics once I get it and set it up.

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

An interesting thread / first impressions / review about this shelter over at TrekLite.

http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/2017-mountain-laurel-designs-solomid-xl-initial-review.3344/

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

Seems like a heavier, more expensive SMD Deschutes, right?

Alec M
    Spectator

@alec_isa_backpack

Is this still available?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Alec, this isn’t a “For Sale” thread like on Gearswap. It was only meant to inform the ultralight backpacking community of the mid’s debut. Sorry. Click on to the Gearswap forum to search for gear. Good luck and welcome to BPL.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools