Topic

New from Tarptent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New from Tarptent

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

n/m – was belabouring the point

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Henry, what are your thoughts on a fabric like 20D silpoly + PU?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

That material has a thick PU coating that reduces tear strength a lot. I think it’s a good choice for floors, where the high HH is appreciated, tear strength is not very important, and the PU coating reduces sliding around and increases puncture resistantance. But if looking for a no-sag non-cuben fabric, I would choose 1.1oz Silpoly (without the PU4000 treatement) for a tarp – decent HH, no sagging when wet, decent tear strength. I believe Yama Mountain Gear is already offering 1.1oz Silpoly in their tarps.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Any other experiences with wet snow?

I’m considering the Notch as a 3/4-season tent with occasional snow – however, looking at the pictures posted I’m not sure if the new fabric makes any sense for this purpose..

Rachel P
    BPL Member

@ponyespresso

so…anyone else notice the new Rainshadow 3 that will be available starting tomorrow? It looks like the Cloudburst 3 and the Rainshadow 2 mated with each other — the trekking pole is now in the rear of the tent, and a Cloudburst like hoop is at the entrance.

Now I totally want one to replace my Rainshadow 2 because it seems like it has done away with all the downsides of the RS2. No more trekking poles in the way of the door, no more guyline in front of the door, easier to seal up the tent during a windstorm, bigger front door, etc. I also had a problem (that may be user error) where the mesh pooches out and can collect rain during storms. This new tent looks like it won’t have that issue because the fly can go almost to the ground.

I wonder if the Cloudburst 3 will be updated with some of the new features in the RS3 — bigger door, webbed guyline tensioners instead of cords, etc.

https://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow3.html

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

A couple of photos of the CB3 :

Yes, that is what happens when you leave set up side by side an RSII and a Cloudburst 3.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Franco, by the specs it looks like 2 wide + 1 reg pad will just fit, correct? Son and I both like wide pads.

(But I only have a use case for it if the kids get along better.)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Katherine ,

Yes the RS 3 does take two wide and one standard mat.

It will be added to the details soon because not all that many 3 person tents can do that.

I don’t have kids myself (only kangaroos)  so I ‘m not sure but have you tried an electric  cattle prod to control them ?

(could be illegal in some countries, so better check first)

This is Bob, about my size.

Rachel P
    BPL Member

@ponyespresso

Two wide pads and a regular just barely fit with the bathtub floor up. Pads that taper would probably fit perfectly.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

thanks Rachel, that’s useful info.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Looks like the Saddle 2 has been discontinued. It was on sale recently and now it has disappeared from TT’s webpage.

Perhaps it will make a return in an updated form (Henry mentioned the possibility a year ago) but it doesn’t look likely at this point.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Looks like the Saddle 2 has been discontinued. It was on sale recently and now it has disappeared from TT’s webpage.

Hmm.  I was that close to buying a Saddle 2, but was unsure of the weird end flaps.  I do hope he’s got an update or something similar in mind.  I’m still looking for something double-wall, two-person, double-door, tall-friendly, and lightweight (not necessarily UL).

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Yes the Saddle is having a rest. Something similar might come up but not in the near future.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Updated Stratospire 1:
    https://www.tarptent.com/whats-new/
    Still won’t fit a tall guy.  :-(

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Nice improvements to the SS1: Double waterproof zipper, two corner vents..I like it. Maybe the SS2 will get the same improvements! ? :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools