Topic

New Balance model reccommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Balance model reccommendation

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Noah K
    BPL Member

@nkassos

Locale: Washington

I have a difficult time finding decent hiking shoes due to my large feet – 15 wide in most brands, which most brands don’t make.  However, it looks like new balance makes pretty much everything in large sizes, and they seem to be well liked on here, so I thought I would give a pair of their shoes a try.  I can’t really tell what the best model for backpacking would be though; is it the leadville?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The Leadvilles are very good. So good that NB departed from industry marketing practice  of making competely new models every year, and the Leadville is now up to V3. I can imagine a V4 next year too.

Yes, we wear them a lot.

Cheers

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Friend of mine works for New Balance in their R&D Dept. V3 is the end of the line–there will not be a V4. He didn’t elaborate on what will replace it…

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Typical of New Balance.  Every shoe they have made that I enjoyed was dropped or completely redesigned to be worse.

Noah K
    BPL Member

@nkassos

Locale: Washington

Haha I guess I’d better go pick up a pair of v3’s in case they disappear!  Thanks for the insight

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Friend of mine works for New Balance in their R&D Dept. V3 is the end of the line–there will not be a V4. He didn’t elaborate on what will replace it…

Strange. Given the way the Leadvilles have sold, dropping the line seems (to me anyhow) like commercial suicide. Strange.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Herblock’s Law.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

If you haven’t tried Altra, they may be a good alternative. You’re probably going to need to go to the New Balance store. While my wife loved them, I absolutely hated the Leadville. They have a posting near the heel which was very uncomfortable for me. I’m currently exploring one of the other New Balance shoes, but the wide sizes need to be shipped specially from the store and it takes ~2 weeks.

James T
    BPL Member

@jamestalmage

I’m in a similar boat, but size 16. It seems the Leadville stops at size 15. The 910v2 and 910v3 appear to both come in size 16. Anyone have experience with those?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Both 910 original and 910V1 have been reviewed here.
    https://backpackinglight.com/new-balance-mt910-review-caffin/

Both Sue and I have been happy with those models.

Cheers

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

I have 12 4E feet and am essentially stuck with Leadville’s. That or using non trail Brooks shoes. Altra has definitely gone too narrow for me. The Olympus 1.5 fit at 12.5, but an Olympus 2.0 size 13 doesn’t fit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools