Topic

Nemo Switchback Sleeping Pad Review (First Looks)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Nemo Switchback Sleeping Pad Review (First Looks)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

Locale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians

Companion forum thread to: Nemo Switchback Sleeping Pad Review (First Looks)

A first looks review of NEMO Equipment’s Switchback Sleeping pad based on initial impressions at from at home and in the field.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks, Andrew. It sort’a looks like Nemo has hit the limit with making dimples in CCF pads. As you say, they look like they are crushing and perhaps staying that way over the time you spent out with yours (note the winkles/creases in your picture) and the metalic coating does seem to be wearing. I also have concerns about long-term durability. Unfortunatly, you did not say how long you had it out. From the looks of the pad I would make a guess of only about a week.

The “dual-density” is likely a manufacturing requirement. You were correct in ignoring it. It supplies a bit of negatives by introducing harder outside layering with less rebound, but takes a shape a bit better. Unlike the sliced evazote foams, this probably introduces a little less Rvalue and less resiliency for the entire package.

A good evaluation between the two major types: Zrest style and Nemo Style. As you say you noticed no practical difference between the two in use. My “druthers” would be to buy the US product over a foreign product if there is no difference. It is a few dollars cheaper, anyway. But, if I didn’t have a choice, there is not enough dollars involved to make one highly desirable over the other.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I got one for my son and he says he likes it.  Only used twice.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I think the biggest benefit of the Switchback is that it folds more compactly than a Z-Lite of the same length. I have both, and don’t know how their packed dimensions are listed as the same. Section Hiker shows a comparative picture:

https://sectionhiker.com/nemo-switchback-foam-sleeping-pad-review/

Other than that, hard to tell much difference. Maybe the Switchback is a little more comfortable.

Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

James,

I had it in the field for about a week and also slept on it on my living room floor quite a few times. Maybe 15-20 nights overall?

Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

“I think the biggest benefit of the Switchback is that it folds more compactly than a Z-Lite of the same length. I have both and don’t know how their packed dimensions are listed as the same”

It’s a good question, John. I don’t currently own a Z-Lite so I wasn’t able to make measurements of both of them. I will say that my measurements of the Switchback were slightly different than what Nemo provided. Perhaps there is a degree of variation from pad to pad. It would be interesting to compare, say, ten different Switchbacks to see.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks, Andrew! That was more use than I dared to hope.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Just bought a Zlite. Easy choice between these two. Made in USA and backed by Thermarest’s legendary warranty

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

SectionHiker’s photo comparison of the two pads folded up shows the Switchback to be about 6/7 the folded thickness of the Zlite, and another minor observation: when folded, the Zlite has the Alu sides (end panels) outermost; the Switchback does not.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

According to Nemo, the orange side is to be the top side upon which you sleep, not the foil side.  When I first got mine I saw the instructions on REI had the opposite so I emailed Nemo and they contacted REI to correct their instructions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools