Topic

Need a new camera suggestion that won't break the bank

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need a new camera suggestion that won't break the bank

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

Hello backpacking world, as the title suggests, I am in the market for a new camera for all of my backpacking adventures. My Sony rx100 mark i finally bit the dust, and am looking for a few suggestions for a new camera. I looked at the latest model, and do not want to spend a grand on a new rx100. A few I have been leaning towards are the olympus tg-5 and the cannon g9x mark ii. Curious if anyone has any experience with these models, or other suggestions around this price point. I am not opposed to buying used. Thanks!

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Locale: SoCal

Maybe not ultralight (But better than a DSLR) but I have a Sony A6000 and I think the price has dropped  a lot since I purchased it. Also give you some flexibility with lenses.

If you are curios about image quality, you can check out my instagram, but I will say I shoot only in raw and do put my time into light room.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

B&HPhoto in NYC and on the web still has the Sony RX100 iii and ivs in stock.

If you want to carry a bit more weight to gain the flexibility of interchangeble lenses, Olympus just announced the OMD Em10 mark iii so the mark ii’s will be dropping in price. It is a feature rich camera with 5 way in body stabilization and less than 15 ounces.

Cheers/BRuce

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

Locale: Fremantle

I have seriously considered the Olympus TG-5 given it shoots in raw and jpeg, the image quality does not seem to bad given the sensor size and of course it is tough and waterproof.

However for now anyway I am sticking to using my Olympus OM-D E-M5ii combination with a Panasonic 20mm lens (40mm equivalent). I am also interested in getting a Ricoh GR or GR II so that may become my camera of choice bikepacking and hiking.

Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn’t really thought of carrying a heavier camera. I guess it makes sense, especially witj the ability to change lenses. Maybe i just got used to the simplicity of the point and shoot? I have heard the Rioch name tossed around a bit, and they sewn to have a good following. Again, thanks everyone. I will look into the EM10 as well. I checked out the sony a600. It seems to take some fantastic photos. It is a little large, but seems like the functionality and ability males up for it. Maybe i should just sum it up, and go with a larger camera?

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

I used a sony rx100 m1 and m3 for years and in the last year bumped up to a fuj xt2 with the intent of building more of a pro portfolio (used to be a photojournalist) and instagram following. I’m happy to report that my real life friends sure seem to like my photos (what are hashtags anyway?:) But the real benefit of carrying a bigger more capable camera for me is that it makes me a more intentional about my photography. Rather than just document my trips as they happen, I feel like I have more incentive to travel though beautiful places when the light gets good. I’m also a bit more strategic about anticipating the frames I want as my partners move through.

On the other hand, shooting with the small sony’s can be more zen. Its easy to just pull out of my pocket and take some snaps and keep moving. I’d rather not get too caught up re-presenting a place, and lose out on the first hand experience of it, which is what I’m really there for to begin with.

Anyway, those are the two sides of the coin that I think about. I’d just buy another sony rx used if you want to be ninja about it, and upgrade if you want to take your photography more seriously. The mark III has a 24mm lense, which I find a lot more useful than the 28mm of the mark 1. I do think the fuji’s have stellar lenses at decent prices and the body’s are a joy to use.

https://www.instagram.com/sergegiachetti/   Been mainly shooting with the fuji since last fall.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I haven’t used it backpacking yet, but I like my Sony A6000.

https://flic.kr/p/XomBmH

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

The best camera is the one that you will carry all the time.  If you are a point and shoot photographer, the Sony RX100 is probably the sweet spot for you.

Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

Thanks again. I hadn’t really thought of looking for another used rx100. That might be the best, since I am familiar with that. I did entertain the idea of a bigger camera, but not sure if it is needed for whay i am doing. To say i am an amateur, would be a definite over exaggeration. Although, I do keep seeing people mention the A6000. It seems to get rave reviews as well.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

You don’t have to buy the new RX100 V. You can buy a new RX100 IV or III and get a huge improvement over your old camera and get a great price on a slightly less cutting edge camera.

I did look into buying one of these or the G9 X / G7 X which seem in every way a far better value with useful features and excellent image quality but people have complained that the retracting lens on the Canon G series seem to suck a lot of dust unless you carry them with a lens cover.

I don’t think you need a TG-5 unless you’re going to submerge the camera. Most cameras take a little moisture and dust just fine, and in a form factor as small as the TG-5 you’re likely to give up a lot of image quality for the waterproofing.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

I have never used the Sony RX100 but if you search the past photography threads here on BPL, it is probably the most used camera for backpacking by BPLers.

I carried a Canon Powershot S95 for years for backpacking because my Canon DSLR and L lenses were too heavy to carry.  But I wanted a real viewfinder and more reach (higher power telephoto). So I sold my Canon gear and switched to Olympus OMD micro 4/3.

B&H Photo seems to even have version 2 of the RX100 in stock.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

If weight is most crucial to you, then consider the Cannon G9X II. This camera is only 7 ounces and strikes a good balance of weight to image quality in a RAW capable camera. If you want slightly better image and video quality for not much more money, then a used Sony RX100 III would be great way to go in the same class. I’ve used both of these cameras and like them both very much, though the RX100 III has better edge sharpness and video quality and more useful options (but both have a similar focal length lense). Seems like the RX100 IV and V come at too high a cost for the image quality improvements over the RX100 III IMHO.

If you highly value excellent image quality for large prints, versatility, and/or you want more focal lengths, then a mirrorless camera could give you DSLR quality of options for significantly less weight.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I currently own the gen1 Sony RX100. I got mine for $398 which is a pretty good deal. It lacks many newer features, but takes phenomenal photos (as you know). B&H still carries this tried and true model:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/869238-REG/Sony_DSC_RX100_Digital_Camera.html

Having researched this same topic ad-nauseum, I’ve decided were I to upgrade my RX100 with another P&S I’d get the RX100 MkIII. As others have pointed out, it seems the best balance between value and features, and still generally gets better reviews than its Canon competition.

Problem with P&S cameras, now and forevermore, will be dust on the sensor. It will eventually find its way into even the most expensive models.

I think about the nicest compromise between size/weight/cost for a mirrorless camera (whose sensor can be cleaned easily) is the Sony a5100. It weighs 2.4 oz’s less than the a6000 and is a bit smaller. Really, should be a nearly ideal backpack camera and can currently be had for $498:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076400-REG/sony_ilce_5100l_b_alpha_a5100_mirrorless_digital.html

Surprisingly, it is also reputed to have a better video format than the a6000.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

The good thing about both mirrorless and DSLR, is that you can use lenses from old 35mm film cameras. All  you need is an adapter and they are readily available. So, you can have a camera with automatic focus or go fully manual with great lenses you can buy inexpensively.

Both SONY a5100 and a6000 are excellent choices.

Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

This information is great. I have been keeping an eye out on eBay now, to see the offers. There are a surprising amount of used rx100 on there! The prices have been pretty good to boot.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Myles – try the fred Miranda buy/sell forums too. I’ve bought and sold a lot of camera gear there.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have the a6000 and like it.  It’s one of the best values on the market.

I’ve enjoyed adding lenses to my iPhone.  I used the Olloclip system for the past couple of years but am in the process of switching over to Moment.

With Olloclip, my lenses are built for the iPhone 6 and won’t work on the 7+.  With moment, when you upgrade your phone, all you have to do is buy a new case.

The other downside with Olloclip, I found it was easy to knock the lens out of alignment.  On a bright day, I have a hard time noticing it until I review the pictures later.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If it doesn’t have a good viewfinder, it’s not a camera.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

“If it doesn’t have a good viewfinder, it’s not a camera.”

So the RX100i & ii, Fujifilm X70, and Ricoh GR are not cameras.  Interesting.

Agreed that viewfinders are extremely helpful as a composition aid, but plenty of folks are getting by without one.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Regarding a5100 and a6000 video format:

“Surprisingly, it is also reputed to have a better video format than the a6000.”

The a6000 came out of the box with AVCHD but later added XAVC-S via a firmware update.  The only catch is that you have to use a >64gb SD card for the XAVC-S.  The a5100 came out of the box with both AVCHD and XAVC-S so at one time that was true but I *believe* they are the same now.

Now as far as available frame and bit rates for the XAVC-S on the a5100 and a6000, I don’t know, as I only own the a6000.  If someone who owns the a5100 would like to make a comparison between the two later, I can post what’s available on the a6000 with the current firmware.

Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

Haha. Well, however true, or untrue that may be, the simple point and shoot cameras have worked for me. Again, I am far from a pro, or an amateur at that! Of course, I would like to learn more on how to be a better photographer, but am not as of now, so cameras like the rx100 work great for my needs.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

“If it doesn’t have a good viewfinder, it’s not a camera.”

So the RX100i & ii, Fujifilm X70, and Ricoh GR are not cameras.  Interesting.

Agreed that viewfinders are extremely helpful as a composition aid, but plenty of folks are getting by without one.

As did I for a good while. But composing a scene, especially under bright sun, and holding a camera steady at arms length are both difficult. And the screen eats up batteries because it has to be turned up so bright. I’d rather have no screen at all and a good viewfinder than the other way around. I speak from experience.  Unfortunately for the OP (and the rest of us) good viewfinders are hard to find on less expensive P&Ss.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

“As did I for a good while. But composing a scene, especially under bright sun, and holding a camera steady at arms length are both difficult.”

I don’t disagree.

“And the screen eats up batteries because it has to be turned up so bright.”

Sometimes.  A screen vs optical viewfinder, absolutely.  A screen vs electric viewfinder, sometimes.  For the a6000, the EVF reportedly uses more juice than the screen does.  I don’t know because I use the EVF 99% of the time when I’m shooting stills so I can’t personally compare from experience.

“I’d rather have no screen at all and a good viewfinder than the other way around. I speak from experience.  Unfortunately for the OP (and the rest of us) good viewfinders are hard to find on less expensive P&Ss.”

Panasonic has a few but yes, they are few and far between.  The ZS50 is priced at $292 on Amazon vs the RX100iii at more than twice the cost.

I’d love to have an RX100III IV or V, but dang that price tag.  That camera *technically” fits in a pocket but I’d hesitate to carry it that way out of fear of damaging it and having tried it once with an RX100i, I didn’t think it was comfortable.

Ralph Wood
    BPL Member

@visualscapes

Locale: Northern CA

If you’re considering mirrorless, Fuji has some really nice cameras and very nice glass. Also the support for older models is second to none. A recent firmware update turned my almost 4 yr old X-E2 into a new camera. They literally rewrote the manual for it.  No one else does that. That body with a pancake lens fits into a Zpacks hip belt  pocket and weighs about a lb. The new X-E3 they just released this month is even smaller.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

For your needs I would certainly go further down the RX100 line.

ive done the same myself, going from a mk I to iii to V.

the iii is the best value to me right now and offers a range of worthy improvements from the earlier models.

The 24-70 lens and pop up viewfinder being the most notable.

I have gone to the v for shooting videos of the kids but for stills there is little improvement over the iii.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools