Topic

Need a new camera suggestion that won't break the bank

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need a new camera suggestion that won't break the bank

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

I would definitely go with an older model rx100. Posibly even another first model. They sewm to be pretty reasonable for a used camera, that can preform well. Although, i may just want to save a little longer for a newer version. Hmmmm

ALEX DONALDSON
    Spectator

@waffel-2-2

Locale: SouthEast

Great pics.

John W
    BPL Member

@john-the-outdoorsman

I have a Sony RX100 IV.

Here are some alternatives I’ve considered:

• Canon G7X II
      • no viewfinder
      • cannot charge while shooting time-lapse
      • a review mentions softer-than-RX100 lens but I believe the RX100 is also not really ideal in the corners and G7X II shot comes out a bit wider than comparable RX100 shot from that review
    • Canon G9X II
      • no viewfinder
      • no tilt-screen
      • battery life 235 shots
      • F2-4.9 – slower lens than RX100
      • lens on the soft side, chromatic aberrations (from reviews)
      • cannot charge while shooting time-lapse
    • Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100
      • 25-250mm
      • F2.8-5.6 – not really for Milky Way shooting
      • soft lens (not a surprise with 10x zoom range)
    • Panasonic Lumix LX100
      • no ND filter
      • no flash
      • 4/3″ sensor, f/1.7 – better than RX100
    • Panasonic Lumix LX10/15
      • fastest lens F1.4-2.8
      • can’t stabilize moving footage as well its immediate Canon/Sony peers
      • no EVF

The RX100 has an Android system inside it and you can even write and install a custom app for it (unofficial, might void your warranty). For example, there is a free third-party time-lapse app available without the stupid 990-shot limit found in Sony’s $10 paid app.

As for interchangeable lens cameras, you just won’t get the same f/1.8-2.8 25-70mm with ND filter in 300 grams. For my preferences, I would need a camera body (which alone in Micro Four-Thirds size will take over those 300 grams), a low-aperture fixed wide lens for landscapes and low-light conditions (e.g. Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2.0 Micro Four Thirds – 130g), and a zoom lens (over 200 grams). And I forgot about ND filter. And the hassle of lens carrying and changing. :)

You might consider RX100 III or IV. If I was not into shooting time-lapses, I’d probably consider a G9X II due to its very sweet weight for a 1″ sensor camera.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools