Topic

MYOG Dyneema Rain Gear Anyone??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Dyneema Rain Gear Anyone??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JOSEPH S
    BPL Member

@shofn006

Locale: Los Angeles

Hey All,

I’m still riding the high after finishing my first MYOG project (MYOG – Another Dyneema Pyramid Tent).  After ~35 nights the tent has proved to be bomb proof. I’ve made a few minor changes (i.e. new stuff sack, stakes, etc) and the total weight I’m super happy with at 15.13 oz. That includes 12 CF stakes, stuff sack and 50′ guy line. So now I’m looking at my pack list and seeing I’m carrying ~13.8 oz in rain gear that I literally haven’t used ONCE all season. Most of my clothes are DWR treated to begin with but my thought was why not construct a UL dyneema rain shell and pants in case of a heavy rain day. I think I could easily shave more than a couple of ounces. I’m curious is anyone has ever done this and if so, any pictures to share. I would love to see and hear how the project went and the end game performance.

Also thinking about going with the Rainier Wind and Rain Suit pattern from Quest. Here is a link: Patterns-Jackets

Kind Regards,

Joe

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
    JOSEPH S
    BPL Member

@shofn006

Greg,

Thank you for the links! These are exactly what I was looking for. Don’t know how I wasn’t able to turn them up myself through the search bar.

Side note: Does anyone know if or where DCF-WPB (dyneema waterproof/breathable) fabric is available for purchase?

Joe

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Jan Rezac’s Cuben Mountain Poncho remains one of the finest MYOG things I have ever seen on BPL!  Want one badly, but can’t sew worth cr@p!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Waterproof jacket will get wet from condensation

The lightest WPB fabric I’m aware of is from ripstopbytheroll, 1.4 oz/yd2.  1.5 yd2 for a jacket?  2.1 ounces for the fabric.  That would be pretty light.  RSBTR says it works pretty good, and they have been pretty accurate on other fabric.  I got some WPB from two other companies that wasn’t very breathable.

I made a jacket from Pertex Shield from thru-hiker.com.  1.8 oz/yd2.  That has worked very well.

In my experience, make it plenty big around so there is air flow inside.  And make it long – like half way between waist and knees.  Or most of the way down to the knees.  Just my opinion, not necessarily a universal opinion.

With those lightweight WPB fabrics that are called 2.5 layer, I use a lining on the shoulders and hood.  It will absorb body oil there and fail.

This is very bad for you.  MYOG can be addictive.  Pretty soon you’ll spend all you’re time on this : )

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I agree, that cuben Mountain Poncho is inspiring! With many dreams of future Japan and Europe hiking trips, a Mountain Poncho is calling me (and my GF, who is cold with 8 inches of doona down on a 40F night…inside her bedroom…with pyjamas on….). I’m thinking PU4000 SilPoly for the pack section, and 1.40oz WPB for the hood, arms, front. Probably some pit venting too (I sweat a lot…).

JOSEPH S
    BPL Member

@shofn006

I also (for whatever reason) sweat a lot so breathability in a waterproof layer will certainly be crucial. Jerry, have you had any issues with wear and tear from your backpack harness. I’m wondering if I should try and reinforce these areas around my shoulders. I’m going to check out the Pertex Shield. thru-hiker.com is new to me. Even at 1.8 oz/y2 I believe I can still save weight.

Unfortunately, have come down with the MYOG sickness ;) Also planning an UL removable bathtub floor and bug net to go with my tent.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have not noticed the shoulders wearing where the backstraps wear on it.  I’ve used that for several years now.  The top of the shoulders where the wear is worse might not be to worst place for water infiltration because it’s the top of a ridge, and water will flow down the strap – the strap itself provides some protection.

The wear I’ve noticed on eVent, is that the entire shoulder area delaminates (from absorbing body oils?).  I haven’t noticed this with the Pertex Shield plus a lining at just the shoulders.  I’ve used it long enough that it should have delaminated by now if it was like the eVent.

I actually hang the jacket from the lining, and then make the Pertex outer fabric about 1 inch bigger so there’s a little air space for better water proofness.  Maybe it also absorbs less body oils too.

MYOG sickness is maybe better than wasting your life on Facebook or Instagram or whatever??? : )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools