Topic

Cuben rain jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben rain jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    >> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

I finished my rain jacket using green .7 oz Cuben. The plan was to keep it simple. If I find it too sauna like I may add some mesh vents. Assembly was taken care of with Cuben tape from Quest outfitters. The #3 zipper is sewn through 2 layers of Cuben and one layer tape. All exposed edges are folded over and taped for a nice finish. tape. The hood has a brim to keep water off my face and the hood cinches up with a tiny bungee & cord lock. As pictured it weighs 2.3 oz. The weight breakdown is approximately .6 oz tape, 1.3 oz Cuben, .3 oz zipper, and .1 oz for bungee & cord lock.

Pardon the poor cell phone pic!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Nice work Bender! How about a picture of you wearing it so we can see the fit.

Pair your jacket with my CloudKilt and a user will have a rain pro that weighs sub 5oz total.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Outstanding work! That jacket is awesome. You've got me drooling over making one. I'm picturing my own patchwork cuben jacket made from all the scraps I have on hand :)

Did you use a pattern for this? How did the Quest tape work out?

It's hard to see from the picture….are the wrists and waist elastic? Adjustable?

A higher quality pic would be awesome to see.

At just 1.3oz of cuben, you could actually make the same jacket but with bomber 1.5oz cuben at still have it under 4oz. Hmm…..

EDIT: I can't take it anymore….I'm going to see if I have enough scraps to whip one of these up. I'm thinking of a hoodless, anorak version and then combine that with a rain hat because I find a hat way less clammy than a hood in the rain.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Dan the cuffs & waist are folded and taped with no elastic. I used an old T-shirt for a pattern and a hooded jacket for reference. Once I get my real camera back I'll take more pics of the rain jacket as well as my 2.3 oz wind jacket. My previous hooded wind jacket was 4.9 oz but now I can carry a rain jacket & wind jacket for 4.6 oz!

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Here are some better pics of the Cuben rain jacket.

I also finished my 2.3 oz momentum 90 wind jacket.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Bender,

Nice work! Will these be available on your website, KookaBay.com?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Both of those creations are fantastic. Keep up the good work!

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Casey I wasn't planning on putting them on the website; at least not anytime soon. Both took lots of work but I was able to learn quite a bit about construction techniques. I want to add pockets to the rain jacket but only if I can figure out how to keep water out when I have my hands in them. I tried it out last rainstorm and I hated not having a place to keep my hands dry.

Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Locale: store.picharpak.com

May i know that 0.7oz cuben is it the CT2K.08 model?

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Very, very nice.
    The construction on the wind shirt looks fantastic, and the cuben jacket makes me want to order some cuben. Great job.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yes it's CT2K.08 cuben.

Awesome work Ben. I'm jealous.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools